Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Mirada with Cabrio top - can it be .....

    New to the J body. I am on the Abody board (FABO) as 68cuda/6vert. My first car (over 25 yrs ago) was an Aspen R/T thus the name. I am looking into a Mirada. It has a Psuedo Cabrio conv top. This top gives the car the appearance of a convertible and covers where the opera window are normally on the car. Can the cabrio top be removed? What problems am I likely to encounter? Would I be better off leaving the cabrio on and if so - how readily available or easily can a new top be installed? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member MiradaMegacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    Whats your location?

    Removing the fiberglass cap is simple. The factory body seams where the quarter panel meets the roof most often arent finished. The holes in the q-panels and rear panen between the window and trunk will have to be welded or filled. Also there is metal strips riveted just above the windshield that will need to be filled.
    The interior plastic covering the opera windows can be removed easily. Exterior oprea trim is needed, as is rear window trim. The rear window interior trim is also different, smaller in non sim-con tops.

    I am removing a sim-con top this weekend and can text you picks.
    I had the vinyl replaced on one Mirada years ago for 400 bucks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mroldart2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amarillo,Tx
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 76ASPEN-R/T View Post
    New to the J body. I am on the Abody board (FABO) as 68cuda/6vert. My first car (over 25 yrs ago) was an Aspen R/T thus the name. I am looking into a Mirada. It has a Psuedo Cabrio conv top. This top gives the car the appearance of a convertible and covers where the opera window are normally on the car. Can the cabrio top be removed? What problems am I likely to encounter? Would I be better off leaving the cabrio on and if so - how readily available or easily can a new top be installed? Thanks

    Welcome aboard... Now that your question was answered, the next question would be how many of these cars were built and how many have been left as they should be? Might be worth more to leave it as is, and not 'undo' a factory option.... M2C

    PS Pics dang it....
    MRO...

    Fast, Cheap, Reliable..... Choose 2...
    ___________________


    '76 Volare, /6 904 (for now)
    http://slantsix.org/photos/Dusty_Frederick_Volare-4.jpg

  4. #4
    Member Yellowdart69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    FYI - I have an 82 Cordoba with the half vinyl top. When it was removed, to be re-done, I discovered it had the glass "opera " windows in place, hidden beneath the top.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowdart69 View Post
    FYI - I have an 82 Cordoba with the half vinyl top. When it was removed, to be re-done, I discovered it had the glass "opera " windows in place, hidden beneath the top.
    Nothing unusual for chrysler if you look at the 82 to 89 fifthave they still have the glass in the back windows under the vinyl roof.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mroldart2u View Post
    Welcome aboard... Now that your question was answered, the next question would be how many of these cars were built and how many have been left as they should be? Might be worth more to leave it as is, and not 'undo' a factory option.... M2C

    PS Pics dang it....
    That is the big question. How many came with the faux Cabrio top?

  7. #7
    Senior Member MiradaMegacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    Triple digit speeds will remove the fiberglass shell too.

    I had a Mirada with a 518 OD trans, 2.76 geared 8 3/4 rear and a wild 318 running 6 PSI of boost from a Roots blower. While "playing" with a mustang I heard this God awfull noise. Looked at my gauges, had oil press- blower didnt eat a belt as I was still making boost- tach was over 6 grand and still pulling strong. I look in the rear view mirror,the mustangs flashing lights are a distant sight and I see "something" tumbling around in a low earth orbit. Turns out the conv top must have lifted slightly. Causing air to get between the roof and conv top. Poof pow suprise- holy dissapearing conv tops, Batman! Obviously I never went back to retrive it. A strip of Gaffers tape across the windshield acts as an air foil to prevent this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. john's NL
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    If you remove the cabrio top are the clips to attach the chrome trim around the windows there or do they have to be added?

  9. #9
    Senior Member MiradaMegacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    No clips around the rear window, they arent there.

    The trim for the opera window has integral clips on the trim itself. The trim is not installed under the fiberglass cap.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. john's NL
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiradaMegacab View Post
    No clips around the rear window, they arent there.

    The trim for the opera window has integral clips on the trim itself. The trim is not installed under the fiberglass cap.
    I ask because my '80 Mirada is getting very rusty on the frame rails. I found a clean '81 that was used as parts car. The cabrio top was already removed, and I could see factory body filler was never finished where the quarters meet the roof. I forgot to check to see if any of the mounting clips were there but I assumed they weren't anyways.
    I'm guessing it would be a lot of work to try to cut the clips off and transfer them to the other car?

  11. #11
    Senior Member jasperjacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    752
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    The "clips" are an intragal part of the trim that bends inside to retain the trim. I have a complete maroon interior carpet to headliner minus the dash available. column shift, split bench power seat,etc.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MiradaMegacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperjacko View Post
    The "clips" are an intragal part of the trim that bends inside to retain the trim. I have a complete maroon interior carpet to headliner minus the dash available. column shift, split bench power seat,etc.

    Whats your location?

    How much you want for the front red seatbelts?

Similar Threads

  1. 1982 t-top cordoba
    By jasperjacko in forum FMJ Body Parts For Sale
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  2. Neat t-top caravelle for sale.
    By mirada80 in forum FMJ Body Cars for sale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
  3. Vinyl Top Opinions
    By efriedrich in forum M Body General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
  4. Mirada Rag Top for sale
    By Jonno in forum FMJ Body Cars for sale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 07:01 AM
  5. From the top of texas
    By hotrodbill in forum Welcome Wagon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM