AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I've been following this and all I can think of is that it's a frickin lean burn system that you can manipulate.

It's too bad no one wants to hack a real lean burn system and create an interface for a cell phone. I'm sure you'd get a ton of interesting information.

69-

Reaction score
Well, as far as I understand, his system can only lean out the mixture to a certain point.
No changes to ignition (but he states that).

You'd still need a rather fat setup to get improvement by his system.

But, on the positive:
1. He's a symphatic guy
2. For a logging lambda plus rpm plus MAP that's still a decent price :)

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It seems like it works pretty much by making a controlled vacuum leak to compensate for what the carb isn't doing right gas wise. Which might not necessarily be a bad way of doing it and it is neat that it displays the different readings. There's some value there.

A big problem with carbs is people trying to make worn out junk run right or not sizing things properly.

Not that I have fuel injection on any of my older cars but I love the turn key and go about it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Id be more apprehensive about spending the $400 than learning how to tune a carb. carburetors aren’t as complex as one thinks. Learn the basics and then learn how to tune is as simple as doing a little reading and watching a few videos then applying what you have learned and turning it into experience.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There is a science to how a carb works and how the venturi manages the air part. If it's tuned properly you can watch it maintain the proper air fuel ratio on its own.
It would be interesting to see what overall difference it makes with 2 identical condition cars. It's probably going to make the difference if someone has a carb that's picky with weather changes. Altho that usually causes problems warming up and oxygen sensors usually don't function optimally until they're at operating temperature either so it might not help too much with that.

It's about double the price I'd want to pay for something like that. Unless someone has done everything else the money is better spent on a better carb or ignition system.

Last edited:

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I think it appeals to people who want data from their cars. Maybe it's just a symptom of the computer age; everyone wanting information about everything all the time

Duke5A

Reaction score
I think it appeals to people who want data from their cars. Maybe it's just a symptom of the computer age; everyone wanting information about everything all the time

Data logging is invaluable. It takes tuning from Hellen Keller to being a precision endeavor. I log every time I go down the track.

I don't know how good the logging is with this kit, but to get that level of logging kits are a lot more than this.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Data logging is invaluable. It takes tuning from Hellen Keller to being a precision endeavor. I log every time I go down the track.

I don't know how good the logging is with this kit, but to get that level of logging kits are a lot more than this.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply pointing out that for some people the data is important and some people like to tune by feel while blind

Back