1979 Volare Roadrunner drag project

Mgc340

Reaction score
I'm new to this site but I thought I would post some pics and share a little bit about my project. I bought a 79 RR Volare that was a pro street car. The car had been tubbed and a rollcage installed. The rear was a 8 3/4 with super stock springs. I've installed a Dana 60 and soon a new 4 link! I also purchased a new 12 point cage to install in the car. First thing to go was the bulky k-frame that was a boat anchor and we replaced it with a a-arm front end from Checkered Racing. I've got fiberglass bumpers, and deck lid from US Bodysourse along with fiberglass bumpers I picked up along the way. I'm putting a 416 stroker with w-5 heads on it for the power plant. I'll post pics as the build goes. Here are a few from last weekend ~ Mark

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mgc340

Reaction score
I've got quit a bit of parts I'll be selling from this car. Here are some part let me know if interested.

all the glass except the windshield

8 3/4 with moser axles narrowed to 46 1/2 inches axle to axle with 11 drum brakes & ss springs

tan dash with cluster

rear deck lid

nice Crome bumpers with brackets

there will be lots of interior trim etc up for sale once I figure out what I'll need to keep

8 3/4 489 case with 3:23 gears suregrip
8 3/4 489 case with 5:38 gears suregrip
8 3/4 489 case with 4:89 gears spool

w2 Econo heads standard valve open chamber. New Mopar m1 w2 intake, mopar 1.5 rockers and shafts. Mopar polished ringleader valve covers. Intake gaskets ( sold as package)

if interested shoot me a pm. Thanks Mark

BHA43

Reaction score
Still have the original frame rails in the pic? If so what part of SD?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've got quit a bit of parts I'll be selling from this car. Here are some part let me know if interested.

all the glass except the windshield

8 3/4 with moser axles narrowed to 46 1/2 inches axle to axle with 11 drum brakes & ss springs

tan dash with cluster

rear deck lid

nice Crome bumpers with brackets

there will be lots of interior trim etc up for sale once I figure out what I'll need to keep

8 3/4 489 case with 3:23 gears suregrip
8 3/4 489 case with 5:38 gears suregrip
8 3/4 489 case with 4:89 gears spool

w2 Econo heads standard valve open chamber. New Mopar m1 w2 intake, mopar 1.5 rockers and shafts. Mopar polished ringleader valve covers. Intake gaskets ( sold as package)

if interested shoot me a pm. Thanks Mark

You might want to post this in the for sale section...

slant6billy

Reaction score
Welcome. And tell more about that new frame. I passed on a 79 RT because the frame was too far gone. I wished I had the skill to frame out an F body.

Mgc340

Reaction score
The frame is made by checkered racing. It's a nice kit already welded up. All you need to give them is your track width, tire and rim size, and offset. Pretty easy deal. They list it on eBay if you want the details

Mgc340

Reaction score
Alf44 I'll take some pics next week when I'm home. I work out of state but will be home for the holidays. The rear bumper is in great condition

9secRR

Reaction score
what front end is that? race/prostreet? they have a few choices on there website.

lose 200 lbs off the front of these nose heavy cars......hummm

tell us more about the 416 w5

Mgc340

Reaction score
The front end is the race setup. It has also the lighter 300 pound springs compared to the street setup. It was pretty easy installing the front end other then getting past the scary part of cut the car up lol.

The he motor like I said is a 416 stroked 340. The head have been ported by Ryan at Shadydellspeedshop along with bullet roller cam. Running a 1050 dominator converted to e85. I hoping to make right around that 700 hp Mark with it. Should be close. I'll post some more pics soon. Planning on getting the 4 link installed soon!

BHA43

Reaction score
Were the frame rails taken apart in a manner that they could be welded back in @ the spot welds? I am in the middle of Iowa & could come over with a pickup & get them & maybe some other left overs. Tell me about the W 2 set up.

Mgc340

Reaction score
I would say from the fire wall forward the frame is good. Let me look tomorrow and see if there salvageable welding them back together. The w2 setup is as follows: brand new w2 Econo heads which are open chamber 72 cc I believe. Brand new Mopar m1 single plan intake with new gaskets. Used but in excellent shape 1.5 Mopar rockers and shafts with hold downs. Used Mopar polished wrinkle valve covers. These have the standard size valves. If your interested in buying the heads I'll throw in the frame for free.

Back