1980 F body tail lights.

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
How goes it?

So, Carlisle was about a week or two ago. While I was there, I got a center console, head light bezels, tail lights, passenger side half-dash, arm rest, and some exterior door handles. I decided today that I wanted to work on the tail lights.

They aren't too rough, chrome is rubbed off on parts, and it looks like someone used wax to keep the lenses shining. The main reason for getting the pair was to replace them (pass side had a crack, driver was leaking a bit, both were dirty and need restored better than a silver paint stick lol).

I was looking over the "new" housings, and saw two screws on the back. It looks like the screws hold the lenses tight against the housings. I started removing one, but stopped. I was wondering what kind of paste factory used. It looks like antiseize, but has the consistency of a gasket-type-paste. I was wondering if sil-glyde would work, it sounds like it would. I don't wanna use rtv, because I'm gonna want to remove them in the future again to clean them. Thoughts?
15639226112741547311017.jpg
15639226836941342011723.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The lenses are actually glued in place. The 2 small screws are basically for insurance. The whitish/gray stuff is a glue and sealer to keep water and dirt out.

You want to use something that allows removal if needed and doesn't get hard over time, while sealing the lenses to the housings. Trying to remember what I used on mine after having them apart. IIRC, it was 3M strip caulk. It's black instead of white or gray but isn't visible anyway.
This stuff:
3M Products Strip Calk 08578
trm-08578_ml.jpg

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
The lenses are actually glued in place. The 2 small screws are basically for insurance. The whitish/gray stuff is a glue and sealer to keep water and dirt out.

You want to use something that allows removal if needed and doesn't get hard over time, while sealing the lenses to the housings. Trying to remember what I used on mine after having them apart. IIRC, it was 3M strip caulk. It's black instead of white or gray but isn't visible anyway.
This stuff:
3M Products Strip Calk 08578
View attachment 35834
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I recall looking for the actual stuff the factory used but never came up with anything, not even from an auto body shop supplier. Maybe it's not made anymore.

Back