1982 Cordoba rear fender extensions?

Poly

Reaction score
Taken from earlier in the thread. In this photo, if I were to attempt this, it would be a two-part process to reproduce the extension. The existing piece would be used as a male mold because of the smooth outer surface, sharp lines, and no image of the condition of the inside of the fender extension. The second part of the process would be using the the first piece obtained from the male mold as a female mold. At this point we would have the smooth sharp lines of the male mold transferred to a female mold that would provide the smooth outer surface of the original piece.

All of this would be much easier if the interior of the original piece was finished in such a way to allow it to be used as a female mold.

Alot of sanding and finishing either way. And the resins used, mold releases, etc. have to be chemically friendly to the pieces being fabricated or it may melt in your hands.

drivers extension.jpg

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but here is my story. Had my Mirada taken apart for a restore and the good looking rear end fell apart in his hands, brittle. We tried in vain for new stuff, no go, so my body man spent hours fixing what we had. Staples, like a hundred in each one, then they were ground down and he fiber glassed them. They look terrificView attachment 33417
View attachment 33418 .
Those look amazing!

Rockford Cordoba

Reaction score
Greetings! Any luck with the rear fender extensions? I am considering trying to find a 3D printer to make these but need to find a good original to have scanned. The scan can then be sent to the company here in Rockford Il that has the 3D printer large enough to make them. Mine just fell apart sitting on the driveway! 1982 with 10,018 original miles.

johnnyspeed

Reaction score
I bought a set from replica, the right side fit sorta but the left looks like it melted and the lines don’t match. Mine were for a Mirada, very thin but better than nothing.

rsrls

Reaction score
Greetings! Any luck with the rear fender extensions? I am considering trying to find a 3D printer to make these but need to find a good original to have scanned. The scan can then be sent to the company here in Rockford Il that has the 3D printer large enough to make them. Mine just fell apart sitting on the driveway! 1982 with 10,018 original miles.
any luck on scanning these?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Having a 3D scan of one will work, but one could also make one from scratch in a CAD program - but man, would that lake a lot of measuring and work.

A 3D print would be best to use for a new mold - once you get it it touched up. Use the mold to mass produce new extensions at will.

The 3D printer I have can only make a max of 220mm x 220mm x 300mm cube.
Also, you have to have a flat edge to start printing with (so plastic will adhere to the printer bed). If you don't have a flat edge, your print will fail. An example is the 2-door seat belt loop (on seat). There is no flat surface with that item, so a 3D printer wouldn't be able to make it (unless you made some modifications to the print, then machine the excess plastic off to make it contoured).

BudW

Back