275 all around?

wellis77

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new here but been hanging around FABO and other places for a while. Building a '69 Dart with Viper driveline, suspension, brakes, wheels, blah, blah, blah. I'm here researching a project that will serve as my daily driver while building the dart. I'm researching a Volare/Aspen wagon that will get a weld in clip, universal tri-4 link and coil overs from ride tech. I have not found an answer in the search yet but am curious if I can squeeze a 275 tire in the wheel wells (fr/rr) on one of these f body wagons. Wheel diameter will be 18 and sidewall likely 35. At this point I'm most curious about the rear without mini tubbing, I can make the front work. Thanks guys. Will

efriedrich

Reaction score
A 275/35/18 with the right backspacing will fit the rear no problem but at almost 11 inches wide it will be tight up front. 275/60/15 tires with a 15x7 wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing is a popular wheel size for the rear of FMJ bodies.

wellis77

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch efriedrich. That helps with research and planning. If the lip in the rear is an issue I'll roll it or cut it and I will certainly have to take some good measurements but if it will squeeze in there, I can make it work. The front I figured could pose a challenge but with a weld-in clip, I can narrow the frame rails a touch so I have no rubbing there and "massage" the inner fenders to get where I need to. I should be able to pull this off (I hope). A bit more research to do before I find the right candidate and pull the trigger.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Look at my car. It is 245/60/15 up front and 275/60/15 out back with 4.25 back spacing up front and 4.50 back spacing in the rear.

wellis77

Reaction score
What do you feel is the limiting factor on a stock front set-up, frame rail, inner fender, fender lip? I'm looking to do 275's all around on probably an 18x9 wheel and will do it with matching back-spacing all around as well. Will require spacers initially on the rear, but eventually I would get a rear-end built/cut to length. I would love to squeeze a 295 at each corner but no I will get into more fab than I want to make it happen; I've got enough fab going with the Dart.

Eric, are you running an 8" wide wheel in the rear of yours? Do you know if the wheel wells/tubs on a wagon are the same as a coupe?

Thanks for the help guys.

Back