3.5L V-6 swap?

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this...I have heard of swapping the Hemi's but I have never heard of anyone going for the 3.5..

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
seems to me like it would be a real good way to go. lots of them in the salvage yards. good on gas...plenty power....I think you can even hook a manual trans to them...I had a 09 charger with one and it kept up with the Hemi cars on the highway..off the line is a different story although I never felt like my car was under powered.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
they make 250 HP thats nothing to sneeze at.....even without boosting I think it would be a great engine for one of these cars.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
There's a guy on Moparts that did an A body with one and runs a 904 transmission.
If it works on an A, it will work on anything RWD.

Since I saw his swap, a Penastar V6 swap has been on my mind.
Good gas mileage, runs on todays junk gas, lots of parts, can be serviced anywhere, can get 300 hp out of it, light, compact.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There's a guy on Moparts that did an A body with one and runs a 904 transmission.
If it works on an A, it will work on anything RWD.

Since I saw his swap, a Penastar V6 swap has been on my mind.
Good gas mileage, runs on todays junk gas, lots of parts, can be serviced anywhere, can get 300 hp out of it, light, compact.

When you first mentioned that I thought it sounded like a great idea.
300+ ponies out of the box and will run on today's garbage gas.
Plus the weight savings of the six.
Very involved I'm sure but theoretically a very cool idea.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I dont think it is as involved as one would think. I would start by pulling the engine out of a wrecked car at a salvage yard and take everything out with it. if you have a welder engine mounts and the trans mount is a snap. as long as you pull all the electronics with the engine then it should be no problem. I dont think I would go with the 904 though isn't the new trans they use a 5 or 6 speed. I think the brand new ones have 9. but yeah fuel injected V-6 in a car that is lighter than a charger...300HP OH yeah...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I dont think it is as involved as one would think. I would start by pulling the engine out of a wrecked car at a salvage yard and take everything out with it. if you have a welder engine mounts and the trans mount is a snap. as long as you pull all the electronics with the engine then it should be no problem. I dont think I would go with the 904 though isn't the new trans they use a 5 or 6 speed. I think the brand new ones have 9. but yeah fuel injected V-6 in a car that is lighter than a charger...300HP OH yeah...

I'm guessing you'd have to go with the new tranny setup simply because of the electronics....but yeah.....300 and change in a light weight six in an F,M or J?
Yeeehaw!

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Pentastar DOHC 3.6l V6 and the Mopar 3.5l SOHC V6 are two different engines that share nothing that i know of. I have a 3.5L in my Challenger. Nice motor. Not great, but nice. Winds up real good. Pentastar 3.6l has 50 more horses but may be a beast to get to work outside of any car it didn't come in. Don't know. 4.0l versions of the 3.5l are all over the place. Only RWD stick tranny that I know of is the six speed that comes behind the 3.8l version in Jeeps. Tranny is the NSG370. Same tranny that came in the Crossfire but with different ratios for the Jeep. You'd have to swap out bellhousings and get creative or fab an adapter.

Greg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
it might be an idea to keep in mind that the PentaStar V6 (the 3.6) is a great engine in the applications it was designed for. It is a high RPM, small displacement V6 with a lot of valve area (relative to engine size), and a high rpm oriented power band, pretty much the opposite of the Slant 6 and small block V8s used in our cars. In the applications it was designed for, with the 6-9 speed automatic transmissions, it works really well. However, if used with anything with fewer gears, it will not be easy to live with. Almost all of the transmissions used with the 3.6L are for FWD vehicles.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
it might be an idea to keep in mind that the PentaStar V6 (the 3.6) is a great engine in the applications it was designed for. It is a high RPM, small displacement V6 with a lot of valve area (relative to engine size), and a high rpm oriented power band, pretty much the opposite of the Slant 6 and small block V8s used in our cars. In the applications it was designed for, with the 6-9 speed automatic transmissions, it works really well. However, if used with anything with fewer gears, it will not be easy to live with. Almost all of the transmissions used with the 3.6L are for FWD vehicles.

Kostas

Good point.
I'm guessing without all those gears it would be screaming if it was rigged as a 3 speed?

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I want a 3.5 with the 6 speed RWD in the blackbird

Well, there ya go to get started;

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/4712696049.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4727814884.html

2WD tranny, driveshaft and for a 3.8. You'd have to source a 3.8 flywheel but I don't know if the flywheel for the 3.8 will work on the 3.5\4.0 but it's a start.

Back end looks like this:

theanpic004.jpg

theanpic008.jpg

Big fun, huh.

Greg

theanpic008.jpg

Last edited:
Back