3.9 L Mirada CMX

slant6billy

Reaction score
3.9 is a great engine. I had put mine up against my neighbors 4.7 jeep and out pulled the jeep. I did have the better transmission than the jeep. My question, will the 3.9 oil pan clear the crossmember in the cmx?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My question, will the 3.9 oil pan clear the crossmember in the cmx?
More than likely - not.

The 3.9 is 3/4ths of a 318. An 318 “car” oil pan can be cut down to work.
They only installed the 3.9L engine in pickups (and maybe Jeeps?) – but not in cars.
Pickup oil pans have rear sumps. Cars have center sumps.

It shouldn’t be too hard to make a pan – which can be done using a car pan and the front half of the existing truck pan.

Cut off the front 1/3rd of the truck pan. Bolt it to the block upside down with a couple of bolts finger tight.
Place the 318 car pan on top of it. Mark then cut off the 318 front half - on the long side.
Place the back half on top of the front half and modify (cut and/or fabricate) as necessarily. Might even be able to make a few weld spots while pan pieces are still on your block - before finish welding.

The 318 (or 360) “car” oil pickup tube will work fine).

Note: one might consider installing a 340 windage tray – as well. A person will need to cut off a bit of it – first, though.
BudW

Joe12459

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty positive a custom pan will be necessary. Bud, it sounds like you read my mind! I have a 318 pan and pickup that I plan on using along with the 3.9 truck pan to make a center sump 3.9 pan, if I need to. The slant six k frame is kind of an odd shape, so it is possible the rear sump pan might clear.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Although I may be able to avoid a lot of fabrication between oil pan and trans tunnel just by moving the engine a few inches forward, like I did in the Hemi Mirada. The shorter 3.9 shouldn't be too hard to work with.

Joe12459

Reaction score
The Dakota has two wheel ABS, with the sensor on the rearend. It has an 8 1/4 rear, and the CMX does too. I'm thinking about using the ABS setup as well as the 3.55 gear in the Dakota. I know the ring and pinion are interchangeable between the CMX and Dakota rear. Does anyone know if the case and other internal components from the Dakota 8 1/4 will work in the CMX housing?

Steve2961

Reaction score
The internals are the same on an 8.25. There's only one series carrier so the pieces will interchange between the 8.25 in the Mirada and the 8.25 in the Dakota.

Joe12459

Reaction score
The internals are the same on an 8.25. There's only one series carrier so the pieces will interchange between the 8.25 in the Mirada and the 8.25 in the Dakota.
Sweet! Thanks for the info. Looks like he's going to get the ABS and gears from the Dakota. I'll just have to drill the top of the housing to accept the speed sensor.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I dislike ABS so much,I ,personally,would never install it if I didn't have to; It's a whole lotta work for IMO a net loss.
I'd rather have 100% brakes and zero% steering. than 60/70% brakes and any % steering. I have never been in a situation where ABS woulda got me out of it, And I have been in a few where ABS was a diabolical nuisance to say the least. And the rest of the time it just extends my stopping distance.I know what the controls are for and how to use them. If my opinion changes, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath,lol.
I think manufacturers should just put decent tires on cars, and I think the government should raise the drinking and the driving ages back up to 21 years of age; and the most important of all, I think Driver's licensing applicants should be put through a much more rigorous driver training course. I don't think it's fair that they should be unleashed into the world to pilot a 3500plus pounds vehicle, that at speeds over 30 mph is a flipping missile,with the minuscule training that they get, making it a crapshoot for the rest of us. If they were trained to the point where they wouldn't have to think about what to do, our streets and hiways would be a much safer place,IMO. And ABS would go the way of the Dodo.
I mean kids get 12 or 13 years of training in school, to learn what? They can't hardly add a string of numbers up manually, more than 2 digits long and two in the string, Lord help them in the real world. So they can't hardly function as humans, and yet a spin around the block, and they're legally issued a missile-operators permit. If nothing else, the car they are piloting should be blazingly obvious to everyone around them, so we can stay out of their way. I'm thinking a fluorescent yellow paint job, with a flashing neon sign on the roof that says "BOZO on board, Keep Klear", and a 10 ft fiberglass whip on the back bumper with a little pennant flag, that changes color and length, with the level of training the driver has achieved, so we can really see them coming....................... End rant.
I put a dummy fuse in mine. I leave the wifeys alone. Most women need all the help they can get, and most don't drive like we do,and if my wifey gets into an accident or rolls the daymn truck, I still gotta live with her afterwards, and if there is a light on,on the dash, at the time of the event, she's gonna find a way to blame me for her accident,I just know it,lol. And yes; I'm the one who gets misconduct tickets, but she's the one who destroys vehicles, I love her so much. When I want to get rid of a vehicle , I just loan it to her for a bit, then our insurance company buys it; I love her so much.
Your results may vary.......

power-39-gif-gif.gif

Imo, 3.55s are kindof a teaser for this combo. With a typical 1750 TC, the graph shows a tic over 200 ftlbs available at WOT. Multiplied by the 2.74(hopefully) trans ratio and 3.55s, this comes to 1945ftlbs(corrects to 1730@24" tire) , which should be just enough to spin 27s. But 3.55s will only take you to 45.7mph@5800 (5%slip),at the top of first. On the shift, the Rs will drop to 3260, and there the power is down to 140ish hp, so it's all over.If you're ok with this, then enjoy 'em.
A 2800TC will allow some bigger tires, and make you quicker off the line, but the 3.55s will still kill acceleration at 45.7 mph

The right combo to hit 60,with that trans, is a 2.76rear,and 28s which will hit 60mph at 6100(5%slip). And the right TC is about a 3200, to launch at 226 ftlbs, and that should get you a corrected torque to the pavement of about 1465,just barely enough power to spin those 28s.

Just for arguments sake, there is no reasonable street gear to be used to optimize for 60 at the top of second gear(1.54). It comes to 4.88s with 27" tall tires) to hit 60@5680.....4.88s with .69od (A500)will be 3.37s at cruising,and; 65=2720@zero slip.
But man would it be quick!
I ran a teener with 4.88s; and .57od to hit 65=2128. Yeah that teener did zero to 60 reeeeeeeal good.

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
I dislike ABS so much,I ,personally,would never install it if I didn't have to; It's a whole lotta work for IMO a net loss.
I'd rather have 100% brakes and zero% steering. than 60/70% brakes and any % steering. I have never been in a situation where ABS woulda got me out of it, And I have been in a few where ABS was a diabolical nuisance to say the least. And the rest of the time it just extends my stopping distance.I know what the controls are for and how to use them. If my opinion changes, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath,lol.
I think manufacturers should just put decent tires on cars, and I think the government should raise the drinking and the driving ages back up to 21 years of age; and the most important of all, I think Driver's licensing applicants should be put through a much more rigorous driver training course. I don't think it's fair that they should be unleashed into the world to pilot a 3500plus pounds vehicle, that at speeds over 30 mph is a flipping missile,with the minuscule training that they get, making it a crapshoot for the rest of us. If they were trained to the point where they wouldn't have to think about what to do, our streets and hiways would be a much safer place,IMO. And ABS would go the way of the Dodo.
I mean kids get 12 or 13 years of training in school, to learn what? They can't hardly add a string of numbers up manually, more than 2 digits long and two in the string, Lord help them in the real world. So they can't hardly function as humans, and yet a spin around the block, and they're legally issued a missile-operators permit. If nothing else, the car they are piloting should be blazingly obvious to everyone around them, so we can stay out of their way. I'm thinking a fluorescent yellow paint job, with a flashing neon sign on the roof that says "BOZO on board, Keep Klear", and a 10 ft fiberglass whip on the back bumper with a little pennant flag, that changes color and length, with the level of training the driver has achieved, so we can really see them coming....................... End rant.
I put a dummy fuse in mine. I leave the wifeys alone. Most women need all the help they can get, and most don't drive like we do,and if my wifey gets into an accident or rolls the daymn truck, I still gotta live with her afterwards, and if there is a light on,on the dash, at the time of the event, she's gonna find a way to blame me for her accident,I just know it,lol. And yes; I'm the one who gets misconduct tickets, but she's the one who destroys vehicles, I love her so much. When I want to get rid of a vehicle , I just loan it to her for a bit, then our insurance company buys it; I love her so much.
Your results may vary.......

View attachment 27563

Imo, 3.55s are kindof a teaser for this combo. With a typical 1750 TC, the graph shows a tic over 200 ftlbs available at WOT. Multiplied by the 2.74(hopefully) trans ratio and 3.55s, this comes to 1945ftlbs(corrects to 1730@24" tire) , which should be just enough to spin 27s. But 3.55s will only take you to 45.7mph@5800 (5%slip),at the top of first. On the shift, the Rs will drop to 3260, and there the power is down to 140ish hp, so it's all over.If you're ok with this, then enjoy 'em.
A 2800TC will allow some bigger tires, and make you quicker off the line, but the 3.55s will still kill acceleration at 45.7 mph

The right combo to hit 60,with that trans, is a 2.76rear,and 28s which will hit 60mph at 6100(5%slip). And the right TC is about a 3200, to launch at 226 ftlbs, and that should get you a corrected torque to the pavement of about 1465,just barely enough power to spin those 28s.

Just for arguments sake, there is no reasonable street gear to be used to optimize for 60 at the top of second gear(1.54). It comes to 4.88s with 27" tall tires) to hit 60@5680.....4.88s with .69od (A500)will be 3.37s at cruising,and; 65=2720@zero slip.
But man would it be quick!
I ran a teener with 4.88s; and .57od to hit 65=2128. Yeah that teener did zero to 60 reeeeeeeal good.
Wow, you really don't like ABS, or teen drivers, or kids in general! LOL! Seriously, I don't much care for ABS, but again it will be unique. I wouldn't break my back if I didn't already have the parts. Same with the rear gears. I'm sure 3.55 isn't the best choice of rear gear, but I have the parts. If I use the entire drivetrain from the Dakota, it should perform basically the same in the Mirada. I don't think there's much weight difference, and the tire diameter is within 3/4". I'm not looking for a race car, or even high performance, just something he could drive everyday on the street.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Hang on, I never said I didn't like kids,
it's sharing the road with them I dislike, and only because the government seems to think that with as good as no training,they're ready to be missile-pilots. It's too easy for them to hit the road, atta time in their lives when most are too irresponsible to even recognize the privilege that they've been granted.
Too many of them end up as statistics, either damaged for life or dead. And they don't always die alone.
Please understand, I don't hate kids;
I hate that they don't get proper training.
And if you're a believer, you'll understand that in this present evil age, most of those dead kids never got to make a decision for Christ, and I'd be willing to bet that most of the injured ones are crying "why me", and rejecting God entirely, cuz they don't own their mistakes, but rather are too quick to put the blame elsewhere.
But it's not entirely their fault. And it's not entirely their parents fault either. Nor the government's. It's simply the way it is in this present age, when family life has been usurped by capitalism.
You may take umbrage at the "missile-pilot" moniker, but you probably already know that the vast majority of vehicles on the road today are just that, at speeds as low as 30 mph. Just take any lower-class vehicle that you might purchase for your 15 year old, and get it up to 30mph and see what happens when you put a little too much steering into it. Now imagine that, at 40, 50, and 60 mph. And finally;imagine a scatterbrained, hormone-driven, sex-starved, short-attention-spanned, no money, almost-failed-grade-10, nincompooper,who is blasting the stereo and rapping along,hopefully not a druggie, not-your-kid, teenager, piloting that beast, with as little training as they get. Shoot, most of them are barely out of diapers, and we give them a license to kill. That's what I hate; not the kids.
As for ABS, you got more energy than I do, as regards uniqueness,lol.
Oh yeah,as for traction control, I take that fuse out too,lol. There'sIMO, one of the stupidest things to ever hit the market, at least 10 to 15 years too soon. If people got proper driver training, we could take hundreds of pounds of safety equipment right out of these barges they market, and we could be driving our cars nearly twice as far per dollar,as is currently possible. But I digress lol.
Most people,not just kids, have no clue in their daily commute, just how close they are to death at any given moment. Two cars moving at 60 mph,traveling along in opposite directions; when one of them wanders just the few feet separating them,it's like an atomic bomb goes off and people die. It shouldn't be, and it shouldn't be a teenager.
Ideally,we the "system", should love them more and give them proper training, and make them wait until they are mature enough to make proper decisions. As it stands, I think fluorescent Yellow/Orange and whip antennas is still a good idea, so I can get the heck out of their way.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Joe12459 was talking about rear wheel/axle ABS, not the full 4 wheel ABS that are now on all vehicles. The only purpose of the rear wheel ABS is to prevent the rear wheels (only) from locking up. Has no effect on the front wheels or steering. It was normally used only on pickups to prevent rear wheel lock up when the truck was unloaded.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured as much, and I, that's me, without animosity, still wouldn't put that on a P-car. It's just way too much work for no gain, and not worth the uniqueness factor to me.TO ME.
There's a very good reason to put it on a pick-up, but on a P-car the P-valve does a simpler, cheaper, and IMO a better job. But the best job of all is to properly size the brakes and tires in the first place.
Like I said; I run 295s and 10 x 2s back there with no P-valve at all, and I think 7/8 WCs but I mightof upgraded those at one time. Yeah I think I ran the 7/8 on 275/50s and when I put the 325s on, I upgraded to 15/16. And when I put the 295s on I found out the 15/16s were fine.Yeah that was a long time ago, I think in year 2002 for the 275s and 04 for the biggers.
If you run skinny tires, or hard tires or hard skinny tires and big brakes on the back, IDK, you kindof deserve what you get. and..... if you run big tires and whimpy brakes back there, you are robbing yourself of a shorter stopping distance. It's so easy to get really good street stoppers with proper hydraulic balancing; it just takes a bit of effort and a couple of bucks.
I'm not trying to be a dick, so if it reads that way, I apologize.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
No ABS just a proportioning valve will control the rerend.

Back