3.9 L Mirada CMX

Duke5A

Reaction score
The speedometer housing on mine has both a VSS and a mechanical hookup. Pulled it out an early 90's Dakota. Might have been a one year only thing when they still had mechanical speedometers and just switched over to the Magnum motors.

Joe12459

Reaction score
The speedometer housing on mine has both a VSS and a mechanical hookup. Pulled it out an early 90's Dakota. Might have been a one year only thing when they still had mechanical speedometers and just switched over to the Magnum motors.
I think that's probably an earlier 42RH. They weren't completely electronic yet, so they had both. The 42RE is all electronic, so no mechanical drive.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it still has the provisions to put the speedo gear in the tail housing. If so, you should be able to swap speedo gear housings.

Joe12459

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it still has the provisions to put the speedo gear in the tail housing. If so, you should be able to swap speedo gear housings.
That would probably be an option, as the tailshaft probably didn't change, but I already installed all new electronic gauges anyway. The GPS sender should solve my problem.

slant6billy

Reaction score
That would probably be an option, as the tailshaft probably didn't change, but I already installed all new electronic gauges anyway. The GPS sender should solve my problem.
A guy I work with had put a 6 speed into an early camaro. I can ask him, but I remember he had some sort of mech drive with the sensor along side it.

Joe12459

Reaction score
A guy I work with had put a 6 speed into an early camaro. I can ask him, but I remember he had some sort of mech drive with the sensor along side it.
A lot of aftermarket OD transmissions do have the ability to connect electronic and manual speedo senders. I'm pretty sure I could use an early 42rh tail housing to achieve the same thing, but I don't need the mechanical drive, as I've already installed electronic gauges. My speedo just can't use the pulse signal from the stock output shaft speed sensor, because it is a ground signal, and mine requires a 5 - 15 volt + pulse. The GPS sender I ordered is 16000 PPM, 12v + signal, so it should work fine. I have a Speedhut GPS speedo in my Hemi Mirada, and I love it.

Back