360 Magnum Build Ideas

brotherGood

Reaction score
Alright, I think Im going to bite the bullet and yank the 318. Its running stronger now than ever, but I've got a leaky oil galley plug and REALLY dont want to pull it just to reinstall and yank 2 years later.

Im thinking of a stock bottom end rebuild, thin head gaskets, using the heads from my 318 (also magnum heads, but already freshened up) and doing what I need to do in order to accept a higher lift cam, a bigger roller cam, keeping the M1 Magnum dual plane intake, and headers. Im up the air (read:cost) whether to go carb or EFI. I know the carbs are much cheaper, but I dont know many people who can properly tune a carb around here.

Looking for suggestions, ideas, feedback, etc.

Thanks.

Camtron

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards EFI whenever I do my swap. I can tune a carb pretty decent and get them dialed in real close without a sniffer but, it’s time consuming, I do it all year long with temperatures/seasons changes. It would be really nice to not have to mess with it anymore.
The new Sniper EFI looks right up my alley. Looks like a carb with all the modern functionality and advantages of EFI. F@$&ing expensive but it looks sooooo right lol

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I had always heard* they were the same head. It's been awhile since I looked into it all though

Sounds like a plan. How big are the 318 Magnum combustion chambers vs. the 360 Magnum combustion chambers, or are they the same?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I’m leaning towards EFI whenever I do my swap. I can tune a carb pretty decent and get them dialed in real close without a sniffer but, it’s time consuming, I do it all year long with temperatures/seasons changes. It would be really nice to not have to mess with it anymore.
The new Sniper EFI Stealth model looks right up my alley. Looks like a carb with all the modern functionality and advantages of EFI. F@$&ing expensive but it looks sooooo right lol

That's exactly the spot im in. I may just try and plan it around a bonus time or something.. Haha

Duke5A

Reaction score
What are your expectations and what kind of budget?

I don't know if I've offered before, but I've got brand new MP Magnum heads bolts and a set of 16 R/T springs, PN# P5249464. The springs are good for .525" lift if you haven't replaced springs yet on those heads. Anything over .525 lift requires machine work to the heads for larger springs. I might even have the retainers kicking around somewhere too. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping.

brotherGood

Reaction score
What are your expectations and what kind of budget?

I don't know if I've offered before, but I've got brand new MP Magnum heads bolts and a set of 16 R/T springs, PN# P5249464. The springs are good for .525" lift if you haven't replaced springs yet on those heads. Anything over .525 lift requires machine work to the heads for larger springs. I might even have the retainers kicking around somewhere too. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping.

I believe the springs were removed for the valve job, but put back on..so I'm assuming they're still original. I'll take you up on that offer, let me know if you've got the retainers too.

As far as goal/budget go, I'm not looking to go crazy with it. It'll spend most of its life driving around town and such, but im most likely going to do this in order to keep me from getting back into debt on something new with a Hemi. Ive thought of a 380 crate with a cam, honestly. It's been awhile since I looked deep into the 360.. the amount of 5.7 swaps ive seen have really gotten my attention.

Duke5A

Reaction score
You'll have $4k in swap parts for a Hemi before your even get into the inside of the motor. They great, sure, but your dollar goes further with LA and Magnum engines up to a certain point.

I'll scour the garage for those retainers.

Still though, what are the plans? You can build a nice torquey driver motor for not a lot of money. If you were going to splurge anywhere I would say fuel inject it.

brotherGood

Reaction score
You'll have $4k in swap parts for a Hemi before your even get into the inside of the motor. They great, sure, but your dollar goes further with LA and Magnum engines up to a certain point.

I'll scour the garage for those retainers.

Still though, what are the plans? You can build a nice torquey driver motor for not a lot of money. If you were going to splurge anywhere I would say fuel inject it.

Agreed, that's what steered me away from the Hemi route (that, and already having the 360 here)

Plans are vague at best right now. Stock bottom end, the heads currently on the 318, with provisions done to accept more cam. I'll be sticking with a roller setup, and pulling the dual plane M1 off the 318 to swap over to the 360. I like torque, but I dont want to sacrifice low end..that's where I'll need to really do some digging. I'm going to rebuild the 998, and find a good converter to help out. The 3.55s have already made it quite the animal..so that part is done.

The only negative I've got against the EFI, is cost.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Have you given any consideration to getting an A500 or A518? They were stock with the Magnums, and with the overdrive, would make for relaxed cruising with the 3.55s.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Have you given any consideration to getting an A500 or A518? They were stock with the Magnums, and with the overdrive, would make for relaxed cruising with the 3.55s.

I had strongly leaned toward ultimately doing that, but then when dads '01 started acting up, that idea turned sour. I haven't looked into the differences between pre and post 96, in regards to the sensors and such (what seem to be plaguing his) but the thought is still there

Duke5A

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a plan coming together...

Use this bump stick: Xtreme Energy Computer Controlled 216/224 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler Magnum

It's not as hot as the cam in the crate motor, but will provide a better torque curve down low. Better suited to something as heavy as a four door Diplomat with 3.55 gears.

That in conjunction with a factory rotating assembly and heads, 9:1 compression, M1 dual plane intake and the valve train parts I'm going to send you should make for a real nice street motor. Just make sure the bottom end on that 360 Mag you have is in good shape.

brotherGood

Reaction score
That was my follow up question.. everything I was seeing on the crate was that it wasn't very streetable.

My other concern is vacuum for the brakes.. they've been a HUGE adjustment as it is with 2 new cars as dailies.

@Duke5A I cant figure out how to send a PM on here, but once I do I'll send you one about those parts..haha

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
You'll have more than enough vacuum for power brakes with that cam. One of the beautiful things about roller cams is the much steeper ramp on the lobes, so you don't get the duration that comes with similar high lift, flat tappet cams.

Back