'76 Volare Premier vintage sales film

volare 77

Reaction score
The early 76 volare front hood moulding really catches my eye compared to the 3868267 trim.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
The early 76 volare front hood moulding really catches my eye compared to the 3868267 trim.
Is THAT what it is? I noticed that the grille seemed to be sitting up higher off the bumper or something, but couldn't quite tell...just something seemed a little off. Now, looking at that trim piece, it is much narrower than the later ones just above the grille. I had never known this, or noticed it about the very early '76's! Learned something new! Thanks! ;)

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Look closer, its not just the trim or grille. There are more things to discover on these pre production cars in the vids, pretty cool.

But is not new, go look at all the 70 cuda vids and you see some cool un released stuff.

The backstory to sum it up is they were gonna use the thin trim on the lower cost/end coupes and the wide on the higher end cars. But the three years of development and the great release in 76, alot changed, all unrelated to the build quality in 77 they could see the future.

Now, where did the inspiration for the bold wide front center trim come from?

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Always get a kick out of the music on old promo films of the '60's and '70's!:p
That grille looks awesome, too bad they didn't go with it.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
There are many pics and vids of that car around, the hood is a pre production hood, shows better in still pics. Alot of mis adjusted grilles do hide a bit of the top of the grille, but look at the start of this vid and you will see the big overhang over the front of the grill, its really pronounced looking at the corners that show very covered.

If you read the book from one of the big dogs on the project, they were trying to mimic a high end non american car.

Ive a still of that car I will post.

But you can see in this pre production runner with the production hood and the heavy slant in the front of the hood and the grille flush with the front.

Just like in this pre production aspen, look at the non ano highly polished hood center, and even six months prior to release they didnt have the R/T medialion deal squared away.

aspen b copy - Copy.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Oh, here is the proper deep slant on the oem hood with the proper adjusted grille.

The trim itself dont change the look that much imo and the old trim can fit any newer hood. The wide trim is just taller and one piece vs thin/three pieces that fit like crap.

I had both out yesterday I should of took a pick.

I dont think they had the "Work smarter, not harder" theme on these cars.

Early Runner - Copy.jpg

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Funny, related story. I started selling lumber in 1974. Metal companies, frequently use wood for packaging, and I called on a small factory, just north of Toronto, that was doing metal stamping. The part that they were stamping that day, was the trim, for the grill, of the new car that was to replace the Dart/Valiant. A few months later,spring of '76, my Dad, was looking for a new car. The Volare's had just come out. I opened up the hood, of the one in the showroom, and checked out the moulding. It was a mess. It looked like it hadn't fit, and they had hammered into place.That small company, was Magna, that has since become the world's largest part supplier.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yea, when it takes 5 separate pieces to span the short distance of the width of a hood, somthing is off. I played hell getting 5 to fit well on a glass hood.

A friend got the bright idea to use bigger headed screws on his hood, worked out great. I sold him a grille to replace his that had the top busted out when his proud self slammed the hood that one single time.

Back