'78 LeBaron calipers

Deano

Reaction score
I just got my calipers from Rock Auto today. I opened one box and there's two small bolts, two big and two small brackets, and even small rubber bands. This doesn't look like any type of brakes I've ever dealt with. What gives? Is it something I'll probably understand after I start taking stuff apart?

DSCN4179.JPG

DCAspen

Reaction score
That is a caliper hardware kit,They must have sent you the wrong part.

Deano

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the calipers were in the box, too. The hardware kit was in the box with them. I had just never seen these before.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The bands usually fall apart over time or never get installed to begin with but the bolt holds the clips on and it all comes off to take the caliper off so it'll be easy to figure out when you start working on it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The rubber bands go around the caliper where they butt against the brackets, to prevent the caliper from rattling. They usually last about 2 days before they break and fall off. Just make a mental note of how the old hardware comes off and you'll be fine.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The rubber bands go around the caliper where they butt against the brackets, to prevent the caliper from rattling. They usually last about 2 days before they break and fall off. Just make a mental note of how the old hardware comes off and you'll be fine.

Dumbest design for sliding calipers I've ever seen. That was actually the main reason to upgrading the calipers on my car with the Wilwood pieces. Every bump you hit in the road through the sub or a car cruise and the calipers would rattle. Made the car sound like a hoopty POS. Brakes are nice and quiet now.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You can get rid of the caliper rattle with new clips and re-bend them a bit. They've gotten cheaper so sometimes you need to double up on them.
I actually prefer that setup over the pins GMs use that can get seized in there or on some setups can't get the holes lined up putting the calipers back on or the Ford stuff that you pound out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Half the brake jobs I do at work involve getting at least one frozen caliper pin freed up.:eek: All hail the oxy/acetelene torch!

Back