79 Aspy Trunk Pan Replace Problems

David Clark

Reaction score
Ok, Not sure if I am missing something here or I am just Stewpid.

I got the replacement floor pan from Jim and Got all of mine Cut out and ground down to accept new welds but for some reason, and I know Jim probably takes other stuff out of the way before getting these pans ready to go, no matter what way I finagle the thing, it won't fit through the trunk opening. Not only that, the Trunk Lid Mounting (Verticle) brackets that hold the tension bars are in the way too (the end that slides into there is too wide to slide between those verticle brackets). Do I have to REMOVE those to?? I really don't want to. How do I get this thing into the trunk without cutting the hell out of the replacement pan???

Justwondering

Reaction score
Oh Lord David,
I swear you have my kharma today.
I spent 8 hours getting the two grab handles back in the car.
Why?
Because i didn't document how I took the trim out.
Because I mismeasured the radiant barrier I added.
Because I put my initial pilot hole for the first grab bar in the wrong place and everything else wouldn't line up.
Because I dropped my neat, sorted, plastic container of screws in the dirt and rocks.
Because I forgot to take the lead off the battery, and when I was finished and wanted to show off the result by driving to town -- I had to eat crow and put the charger on the car.

It was a pretty day, but I seemed to really struggle with the basics today.

Now for your laugh..
My only experience with trunk pans is the time I spent laying in the trunk with a dremel looking up at the rusty rivet holes compliments of the landau roof replacement I did last year.
I never looked below the carpet. Wasn't brave enough.

David Clark

Reaction score
I thought it had to go in from the bottom?
PLEASE don't say that.
--- Post updated ---
Oh Lord David,
I swear you have my kharma today.
Yeah, been there done that with Carbs, get it all taken apart then brain fart on how to get it back together again, Digital camera's are a lifesaver sometimes, IF I remember to take pics of stuff first. LOL.
--- Post updated ---
I don't think even going in from the Bottom is going to help, the trunk pan is wider than the Frame Rails and those Vertical Trunk Lid Supports are still going to get into the way.
--- Post updated ---
Here's 3 Pics of what I am talking about. Also, won't the Support Beam that the Shocks bolt to prevent that pan from going in from the Bottom (as well as the Frame Rails) as it's about 4 inches fwd of where the Trunk Pan is going to go. Those Vertical Trunk supports are just inside of the edge of the Trunk Pan.
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
About the only way to get it in there in one piece is to remove the tail panel and slide it in from the back. Actually, that's the ONLY way. Other choice is cut it in half and then weld it back together once it's in.
At least that's the way I've seen it done on B and e-body cars (tail panel removed). Of course, those don't have the deep well in the center to interfere with the rear crossbrace. The main reason repop trunk pans are offered in one piece or two piece.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Just remember, if cut in half, most of the weld will be hidden from underneath by the fuel tank and if you carpet the inside of the trunk.....................

David Clark

Reaction score
Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Just remember, if cut in half, most of the weld will be hidden from underneath by the fuel tank and if you carpet the inside of the trunk.....................

Yeah, NOT what I wanted to hear LOL. UGH UGH UGH. Thanks for the info.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
looks like it would go in if you removed the trunk hinge support?
--- Post updated ---
Or maybe cut the lower portion . Probably best to cut the pan in half like aspen500 said.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Cut it in half and weld it back together. I think it would be easier to get a good fitment that way. Pick yourself up some of these welding clamps. They work great and are inexpensive. You can find them at Eastwood and Northern Tool among other places.

F80691758.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Might want to look at what it takes to remove the rear most metal finish panel (taillights) first. I have no clue, otherwise, but I’d agree, Cutting and welding that pan is not going to be fun.

I do know on A & B bodies, the trunk pan comes in two piece and one piece (which requires the rear most finish panel Removal).

David Clark

Reaction score
Might want to look at what it takes to remove the rear most metal finish panel (taillights) first. I have no clue, otherwise, but I’d agree, Cutting and welding that pan is not going to be fun.

I do know on A & B bodies, the trunk pan comes in two piece and one piece (which requires the rear most finish panel Removal).
Yeah I looked it today, I'd rather cut the pan in half and reweld it. Biggest doubt I am having is I haven't Mig Welded in Almost 20 yrs. UGH.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Just practice a little. Remember it just needs to sound like bacon frying. This will be awesome when you finish

David Clark

Reaction score
Just practice a little. Remember it just needs to sound like bacon frying. This will be awesome when you finish

I hope it will be awesome when I am finished LOL. Only Left to do on this is the Trunk Pan, Fuel tank and then I can drive it LOL Whooohooo. I finally got the Transmission to release. Might have just been sitting too long. Will hopefully be able to work on it again on Thursday, gotta take a Piggy into market tomorrow, and wednesday gotta pick a piggy up from Butcher. UGH.

Back