8.25 sure gip wanted for my 81 Imperial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastws6

Reaction score
Contact seller
Since I cant swap better gears into my 224 geared 8-1/4 rear because of the small carrier, and I will never get close to the hp numbers it takes to break an 8.25 stock rear... I'm thinking I should use a bolt in swap. The whole frickin rear. So.. if you are a northeaster, reasonably close to northeast PA, and have a stock rear with a suregrip and 307 or shorter (higher numerically) gears in it that will bolt up to my 81 imperial? Let me know.. perhaps we could work something out.

Thanks, Dan

brotherGood

Reaction score
I was told recently, that you actually can swap gears in an 8.25. I plan on doing that, and adding SG to my cop rear..when finances allow.

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
Just put a SG , new bearings, seals, & 'skunk juice' in my '85 for $270 "Cash-under-the table."

My bearings weren't making noise & no seal leaks, but may as well put new ones in instead of risking it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
LastWS6:

You can swap gears on a 8.25" rear end with 2.24:1 gears, problem is that the small carrier will need to be changed to a large carrier. Since the large carriers are not easy to find as stand alone units, it is usually easier to just change the whole rear end. I don't know if the carriers from a Dakota with the 8.25" rear end interchange with the 8.25" rear end in our cars. Somebody else with more information will need to chime in.

Kostas

chargehard

Reaction score
both my carriers are the larger ones, they measure 7" across the ring gear bolting surface.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Just put a SG , new bearings, seals, & 'skunk juice' in my '85 for $270 "Cash-under-the table."

My bearings weren't making noise & no seal leaks, but may as well put new ones in instead of risking it.

Thats what I am doing now.
NOS SG W/3.21s With all new bearings and seals going into a 86 AHB 8.25.
Which is going under a 80 Lebaron Coupe with new 5 leaf, leaf springs.

Was that 270.00 for parts & labor?

Is Skunk Juice another name for smelly gear oil?
or is it some type of friction reducer or something?

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I think he's referring to hypoid additive, also known as limited-slip additive or "whale oil". Make sure you use it, or your SG's life will be much shorter in terms of burning two. Though most of these cars aren't used as daily transport anymore, making a mileage-based change interval kind of meaningless, it's a good idea to pop the cover every couple of years and re-seal with new gear oil and additive. Regardless of how many miles you put on it, oil starts to break down as soon as it's used, and it doesn't stop just because it's sitting. As expensive as oil's gotten, it's still cheaper than a diff... or an engine... or a transmission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back