80 Mirada not mine on craigslist $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Here in GA you don't need one for cars older than I think 1980 or something...just a bill of sale. I would buy this car if i had the cash right now I love the way Mirada's look. I would talk him down a little though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I loved the way Mirada's looked when they were brand new and still do.

Here's a hint I wish people on CL would heed. DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THE CAR IN THE DARK!!!!!!!!!! Man I hate that.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have another thing that I would like people to stop doing when they photograph cars. Close the damn hood. About half the classic cars being offered on the Alberta Kijiji site show the hood partially open, or at least not completely closed. I don't know when this became an accepted way of photographing cars. To me, when this first started to show up, meant that there was a problem closing the hood, or that the car was in some sort of accident that didn't allow the ood to close properly. Then, more an more started showing up that way.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I have another thing that I would like people to stop doing when they photograph cars. Close the damn hood. About half the classic cars being offered on the Alberta Kijiji site show the hood partially open, or at least not completely closed. I don't know when this became an accepted way of photographing cars. To me, when this first started to show up, meant that there was a problem closing the hood, or that the car was in some sort of accident that didn't allow the ood to close properly. Then, more an more started showing up that way.

i agree either closed or shut what is this in between BS.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Even more proof of my theory of ignorant offspring dumping dad's car. Or at least the possibility of it.

Somebody who owned and appreciated a car would want to show it in it's best light. Someone who just wants to dump it for some coin would snap a few half ass pictures.

Aspen500

Reaction score
To continue the rants, lol, clean the damn thing up before taking pics and putting it up for sale for criminies sake.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Here in GA you don't need one for cars older than I think 1980 or something...just a bill of sale. I would buy this car if i had the cash right now I love the way Mirada's look. I would talk him down a little though.

Expand on that "Bill of Sale stuff" Here the great Nazi state of Your papers are not in order NJ, it is a major problem. So, for instance I have an old enclosed trailer that houses a b body mopar. The trailer has no title, but we have a bill of sale. We went to DMV and were told no title no service. I had heard I could sell the trailer to a resident of Georgia with a bill of sale. The BOS needs to have someone with Notary stamp and sign it. So when that person goes to register it, do they just get issued a license plate from the Noted bill of sale? Could a title get generated at that point? I've passed on many cars that were bill of sale only. My dad told me 25 years ago, New Jersey was hoping folks would lose titles on old cars. Thus the state used this as a ploy to get them off the road, by not recognizing the BOS. You can get a reissued titled but it takes some $$$ and doing.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
As far as I know, cars don't have titles in Canada. or at the very least, they don't in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. To take ownership of the car, you need the owner to sign theback of their registration. Then you go to a registries office (private in Alberta, gov't in Ontario, Manitoba, and Quebec) with the signed registration form, proof of insurance, and an inspection report from a registered mechanic, and you own the car. Collector cars don't need an inspection report, and collector car insurance is adequate. Coolector car plates are $100, lifetime.

ColinV

Reaction score
Same here in BC with some minor differences. Sign over the reg and no inspection needed on cars previously reg in BC. Collector plates are cheap insurance her around $200 a year but the government insurance scrapped the agreed value bit from getting the car appraised so insurance only covers what they say it's value is now. So collector plates not really worth it as book value on my late 70's cars means even a door ding probably qualifies my car for write-off status.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Public insurance in BC is not good for collectables cars. Insurance here is private, so collector car insurance will run about $100/year. Agreed upon value upto $3K. Anything over that is by appraisal, and rates go up with appraised value.

Aspen500

Reaction score
As a comparison, in Wisconsin you can apply for a lost title. You need to fill out the proper forms from the DMV and then have a State Patrol officer come and verify the VIN and stamp the form. It's checked for being a stolen car and if it comes back clean, a replacement title is issued. No big deal really. For better or worse, we have no annual inspections or around here or emission testing (except down in a couple SE counties, around Milwaukee area). Commercial vehicles need to have a DOT inspection done every year though and have the sticker on the left front fender.

Public insurance? Oh you Canadian's! lol I've got Grundy collector car insurance and for an agreed value of $30,000 it covers collision, comprehensive, liability, under insured/non insured motorist, spare parts, towing, etc, etc, etc. All for a whopping $178/year with no mileage restrictions. Of course it's understood the car isn't a daily driver or used for work. It is OK to drive it to work once in a while but not every day.

Both "Hobbyist" (what I have) and "Collector" plates are a one time $225 fee and that's good forever, even if you transfer the plates to a different car ($25 transfer fee only). Hobbyist is for modified cars, street rods, stuff like that. Collector is for unrestored/restored 95% stock vehicles. For either one you have to submit photo's of the exterior, interior and engine compartment plus proof of insurance. Took my plates and registration only a couple weeks to come. Restriction on the plates is the vehicle can't be driven in the month of January. They upped the fee, added the photo thing and put the restriction on because some idiots were abusing the system and buying collector plates (used to be $85) for winter beaters that just happened to be more than 20 years old. I suppose though, the yearly fee for regular plates is $65 a year (for cars) so $225 for life ain't so bad.

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
To clarify the above, for emissions testing (around Milwaukee area), it's only for vehicles made after 1996, so it doesn't even affect most collector vehicles.

greymouser7

Reaction score
As a comparison, in Wisconsin you can apply for a lost title. You need to fill out the proper forms from the DMV and then have a State Patrol officer come and verify the VIN and stamp the form. It's checked for being a stolen car and if it comes back clean, a replacement title is issued. No big deal really. For better or worse, we have no annual inspections or around here or emission testing (except down in a couple SE counties, around Milwaukee area). Commercial vehicles need to have a DOT inspection done every year though and have the sticker on the left front fender.

Public insurance? Oh you Canadian's! lol I've got Grundy collector car insurance and for an agreed value of $30,000 it covers collision, comprehensive, liability, under insured/non insured motorist, spare parts, towing, etc, etc, etc. All for a whopping $178/year with no mileage restrictions. Of course it's understood the car isn't a daily driver or used for work. It is OK to drive it to work once in a while but not every day.

Both "Hobbyist" (what I have) and "Collector" plates are a one time $225 fee and that's good forever, even if you transfer the plates to a different car ($25 transfer fee only). Hobbyist is for modified cars, street rods, stuff like that. Collector is for unrestored/restored 95% stock vehicles. For either one you have to submit photo's of the exterior, interior and engine compartment plus proof of insurance. Took my plates and registration only a couple weeks to come. Restriction on the plates is the vehicle can't be driven in the month of January. They upped the fee, added the photo thing and put the restriction on because some idiots were abusing the system and buying collector plates (used to be $85) for winter beaters that just happened to be more than 20 years old. I suppose though, the yearly fee for regular plates is $65 a year (for cars) so $225 for life ain't so bad.

I need to sell vehicles to you, buy them back & own a titled vehicle.

People in Georgia do not register a car that they sit on, then they sell it, with the bill of sale or title sold to their name, which means I cannot title or register the car.

What you just described, Georgia does send out a police officer, & he runs a check ,but that allows you to register a car without a title but with a bill of sale.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Public insurance is not in all provinces. I know BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec (partial). All the other provinces don't have public insurance.

It was originally started (in Quebec, at least) due to the foot dragging by insurance companies regarding the payment of claims, and in Quebec, bodily injury claims specifically. The idea was to have all the drivers in the province insured, so no possibility of uninsured motorists. The original intent was great. What has happened over the years is that the public insurance organizations, while still providing for faster claims settlement, are not great for non-normal (e.g. modified, special interest, antique, etc,) type cars. In addition, instead of making insurance more affordable even for normal, daily driver type cars, it has gotten more expensive. In Quebec, there was a small decrease in private, property insurance, but the increase in registrations fees (from about $40 to $250, probably higher now), and drivers's license fees (used to be $65 for 3 years, its now $85 for two years) lead to an overall increase in costs for everybody. BC, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan run full public insurance, so they not only cover bodily injuries, but property damage (including the car itself) as well.

Collector car insurance is available in Alberta from Hagerty, Silver Wheels, and although I haven't seen it, probably Grundy as well. Same limitations, no driving to work, but no monthly limitations. Insurance companies here also specify no "shopping", which means no shopping centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back