'81 Mirada rear disc brake conversion

iScamp

Reaction score
In case someone is contemplating a rear disc conversion, thought I throw this out to y'all.
Somewhere, FMJ maybe?, there was an article about rear disc brake conversion for the 8 1/4" rear axle. We converted to rear disc brakes on the '81 Mirada using the parts from a Jeep XJ. This was about 2 years ago. Anyway, all went fairly well until it came time to attach the rear parking brake cable. What we ended up doing was buying a length of pre-stretched aircraft control cable and the appropriate clevis ends. Then had a local aircraft shop swage the ends onto the new cable and the end of the original cable extending from the Jeep brake housing. Route it through the appropriate places and bolt the ends together. Works well. Be sure to run the adjuster from central cable all the way towards the slack position before you measure and cut your new cable.

100_3706.JPG

100_3704.JPG

100_3705.JPG

Steve2961

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I'd been wondering if Jeep disc brakes could be installed on the 8-1/4 in a Mirada. I wasn't sure about the offset, but now I know.

iScamp

Reaction score
Your welcome. I made an error with the original post. The brakes came off a Jeep ZJ. Went to the local U-Pull salvage yard. There were 3 or 4 candidates there. Shouldn't be too hard to find one. If I can find the original article I'll post a link.

Last edited:
Back