'83 Mirada street/strip project - my official return to FMJ!

72Dodge

Reaction score
OK, so here is the Mirada I picked up last weekend. I have a '72 Dart Swinger /6 and a '68 GTS project, but I have been wanting something to "just mess with". I'd been looking at things like later Dart Sports and had been keeping my eyes open for an Aspen/Volare or a b-body Cordoba, or maybe even a Diplomat. Just never found the right car, at least not at the right price. And let's face it, most cars in this area are rust buckets and that was the last thing I wanted. I also wanted something that I could do some bodywork on and eventually paint.

This one popped up advertised as solid TX car (no drivetrain) with some issues due to it being an abandoned project. I asked a bunch of questions so I'd have a better idea what I was getting myself into, worked out a deal, and bought the car sight unseen except for the pictures.

When it arrived, the only real huge surprise was the broken windshield, which the pictures did not indicate and is still highly irritating, and currently by biggest problem. Also the interior wasn't anywhere near as nice as I had expected, BUT, it's serviceable, and I've driven much worse LOL, so not that big of a deal. I can make it look nice.

Due to the windshield and the other three problems mentioned below, I posted the car up for sale locally, because at first they seemed to make for more of a project than I was really wanting, but after living with the car for a week, and doing more research, I'm more comfortable with it, and know I can handle all of them. I got a LOT of interest in the car from the local CL ad by the way! I had over 20 people email and call in a week. Way more than I was expecting from an obscure and mostly forgotten car from the early '80s!

So, the biggest problems were:
- the hacked up wiring harness, but I have another one coming to me now from an '80 Aspen that I can make work
- the brake lines that were all dismantled, but after researching some, I think everything is there, and I can put it all back together or make new lines
- the power booster and master cylinder are removed, and I'm not sure how to reinstall (since it seems the pins/bushings/bolts or whatever holds it together are missing), but I am trying to obtain the factory service manuals, so I'm sure I'll figure it out then. If anyone has these pins or knows what I should be using, please help!
- and of course, that windshield. I *think* I can use a windshield from an '80-'83 Cordoba, so I'll be keeping my eyes open for one, because I'd prefer to not have to install polycarbonate (but will as a last resort, though technically it's not street legal).
- it's missing the wiper motor, linkage, blades. Seems like these should be easy to find, if I ever find a good glass windshield that is.
- ears are cut off the k-frame and it has custom big block mounts. I want to install a small block, but there's several options.

But the GOOD things about the car, and reasons I decided to keep it as a project car:
- SOLID. I haven't seen a more solid clean car this side of my two year old truck. It has one tiny spot above the driver's door that needs to be patched, sort of weird there would be a small rust hole there, but no big deal. The underbody is clean as a whistle. Frame rails perfect. Floors perfect. Trunk perfect inside and out. This was the main thing I wanted, everything else I can deal with ultimately.
- Already has an 8.25" Sure Grip with 2.94 gears, and it's fresh.
- Partially rebuilt front end, and the rest doesn't look too bad.
- Has a 1-1/4" front sway bar. Not sure why, someone must have installed it later? I think this would have come with 1-1/8"? I could be wrong.
- 3" Hemi scoop and chin spoiler (I've never seen one like this for a Mirada, has anyone else?), and the Go Wing. I'm not a fan of the Go-Wing, but it can stay for now. It adds to the whole retro vibe the car has going on.
- Nice wheels... I think these are from an '80-'83 Imperial, please correct me if I'm wrong. They're dirty, but in pretty nice shape
- The front and rear plastic (or whatever they are) pieces aren't too bad. Not perfect, but better than a lot of Miradas I've seen.

All in all, a great starting point. My overall plan is to not put a lot of money into this car, but obviously it needs quite a bit. My goal is a fun street/strip car, more toward the strip side, but street legal.

I have a hot 318/727 combo ready to put in. In the spring I'll need to get a radiator and driveshaft to finish it out.

The interior I plan to make custom/race with racing buckets (leaning toward the comfortable side), aluminum door and dash panels, silver bezels, floor shifter, gauges, you know, the whole "race" thing. What is there is "okay", it has "custom" center insert fabric that they carried over to the doors too. With a little help, it would be fine. And some of the plastic pieces are spray bombed silver. Blech. It's not obvious, but I know, and it bugs me a little. I'll have to clean up the sail panels and such or get new ones to replace the sprayed stuff eventually, but that's on the backburner. The windows all have dark tint film on them, which I'm not fond of, but also not really looking forward to scraping it all off either!

Eventually outfit it with fuel cell, battery relocation kit/shut off, nitrous, and some Hoosiers on something like Centerline wheels. All this will be as I can find the parts used at good prices, so I can keep the cost down. Hey, let's face it, these cars don't have a whole lot of value right now, don't want to be totally upside down, at least not right away!

I don't think I'll keep these wheels on the car long-term, but for now, they are fine. I love them though. Might sell them once I get something to replace them with.

Just something to tinker with. Yeah it's "rare", but not original enough that I'm going to worry about "restoring" it or making it "original", just... have fun. The car reminds me a lot of my '76 Aspen R/T that I wish I still had (sold in about 1993), but truthfully, this car is in WAY better condition than the Aspen was in and a much better starting point for a project.

OK, that was a lot of detail. This is also somewhat of a record for myself, so... comments welcome! I appreciate the help I've gotten here already, and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions as I make my way through this project!

Unfortunately, it's getting cold, so next weekend, the car will be mothballed for the winter, and I'll pick up on it again in the spring. I already ordered most of what I need to re-do all the brakes since that's something I can sort out quickly in a few hours right away.

Thanks FFMJBO!

IMG_8428 post clean (left side).jpg
IMG_8443 post clean.jpg
IMG_8411 copy.jpg
IMG_8433 post clean.jpg
IMG_8415 copy.jpg
IMG_8425 post clean.jpg
IMG_8435 preclean.jpg
IMG_8397 copy.jpg

IMG_8428 post clean (left side).jpg

IMG_8443 post clean.jpg

IMG_8411 copy.jpg

IMG_8433 post clean.jpg

IMG_8415 copy.jpg

IMG_8425 post clean.jpg

IMG_8435 preclean.jpg

IMG_8397 copy.jpg

rumblefish360

Reaction score
"A lot of info?" LOL It was the beginning of a novel! And I loves it. Excellent starting point. Nice looking car.

72Dodge

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, I can be wordy.

This car is more rare than my GTS by quite a bit (all '83 Miradas compared to all '68 GTS 340's), so I figured it was worthy of a few extra words!

72Dodge

Reaction score
OK, so the used parts I need for this car (other than race stuff for later):

- Windshield
- the pins or whatever it is that holds the brake linkage together (between the pedal arm and the power booster).
- power steering pump reservoir cap
- wiper linkage and blades (what cars use same parts as this car other than J-body Cordoba?)
- grey or black sun visors. Would prefer whatever came in this car originally, but I might end up improvising.
- used floor shift (or I'll just buy a new B&M Pro Stick)
- a better steering wheel to replace the granny wheel (that's busted up anyway). A Tuf Wheel in black, grey, or maybe even blue would be cool. Or something similar that doesn't look like it belongs in a K-car.
- aluminum or poly k-member iso mounts (or new of course... I may try to make my own aluminum ones, how hard can it be?!)

I think that's it. Plus any used good race parts anyone may have. The rest that I need I plan to buy new (yay rockauto!).

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
72 Dodge:

The windshield from a 1980-1983 Cordoba is exactly the same. Not true for the Imperial windshields of the same time frame. This may be a real issue, unless you get lucky. But you are also in the US, which may make it easier for you. I have spent 2 1/2 years looking for an intact windshield, and have come up empty so far.

The "snowflake" wheels you have on are favourites of mine, and I think they are really some of the best looking factory wheels ever, along with the 5 on 5s. You seem to be a big fan of the Centerlines (I am not, but to each their own). If I were closer to you, I would be asking to be put on your list of contacts when you decide to sell them, but as I am so far away (Calgary, Alberta, Canada), the shipping wouldn't make financial sense. If you leave them on, you may find that they grow on you.

Love that chin spoiler, wonder if they are still made?

Kostas

72Dodge

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the info.

It's not that I don't like the snowflake wheels, I actually love them. I just don't think they'll look right with big ol' Hoosier cheater slicks on the back and skinnies up front (they would be too wide for the skinnies anyway). I might just keep them for something else, or for the street for this car. Not sure yet. I have plenty of time to figure that out, have to get the car together first! Thanks again.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Got a decent wiring harness in my hands, and some factory manuals coming to me. A little progress! No word on the possible parts car yet though.

72Dodge

Reaction score
couple steps closer!
and I just realized how mint the quarter panel extensions are

They're pretty decent. I found an old ad for the car from about 2011 I think it was, and in that ad it mentions that they are new. They might be some of those newer repops I've seen people complain about, and I suspect they are, because the fit isn't great. They don't quite line up the way I would expect factory pieces to (not that cars of this era were anywhere near perfect). The passenger's side one has some chipped off the front edge (where it meets the panel, can't see it in the picture), but if I ever paint the car, I can fix that with fiberglass, no big deal. All in all, I'm happy they're as nice as they are.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Picked up a '67 B-body 8.75 yesterday, which fortunately has a 742 center, so if I ever put a bigger engine in this car (bigger than the hot 318 that will go in it first), I'll be all set to make the swap. I already have an extra 8.75 SureGrip unit for it, so just need the gears and bearings and so on to freshen it up.

I think I've decided to just go with polyurethane front biscuit iso mounts instead of messing around trying to make aluminum ones, and I'm sure not paying the $225 for the Firm Feel ones, nice as they may be. Just have to figure out the best option for leaf isolator elimination is going to be, which I think will most likely be using the A/B shock plates (and bonus, I already have some). Just have to do a little more research on that.

Last edited:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
when you go to swap the rear axle, just yank the rear iso setup and throw it in the scrap pile, and put the 8.75 in and secure it with the A/B shock plates. running a set of a-body shock plates on my 5th

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was pretty much that easy. At the same time, I will also put on E (or is it B, or either? I have read both) springs with the FF front spring hanger, and the offset shackles. Basically, I'll change the entire rear suspension all at the same time. I already have an extra set of a-body shock plates, so it's convenient.

Thanks!

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
I might have the tuff wheel (aftermarket) for you. It's blue. no adapter plate. It's yours for the price of shpg. Will be home the week of Christmas. Call me if you need 330-716-1113

BHA43

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a blue tuff wheel, where are you? I'm in Ia Falls but have relation in Maynard & Manchester.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the blue Tuff wheel! I've been looking at exterior paint stripe designs, and I'd settled on a blue version of something similar to John Fisher's Mirada, so that would be perfect to start having a touch of blue in the interior. I need to figure out for sure if I can use an aftermarket wheel with my tilt column, but looking at the factory service manual, it appears that maybe these cars were all tilt column? I don't see anything in the manual about regular column, so... it looks like a different wheel would bolt on.

I also ended up finding that brake pedal retainer clip in the trunk of the car. The kid I got the car from was at least good about throwing all the little parts randomly on the trunk floor for me to find ha ha. Glad it didn't get sucked up with the shop vac, I tried to get all the nuts n bolts before I cleaned it up.

After further research, I have decided 100% to convert this car to manual steering/manual brakes. I already have an a-body manual brake box with pitman arm that looks like it will be an exact fit after extending the steering column. And the manual brakes will just require a fabricated plate, new master and an adjustable pushrod, maybe a little different routing off the master, but well worth eliminating the booster, I think. And, it looks like I can do it cheaper than replacing my current booster and master. Bonus!

Putting the car away for the winter. Right now, actually.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a blue tuff wheel, where are you? I'm in Ia Falls but have relation in Maynard & Manchester.

I just saw this after making that last post. If you can use the wheel go ahead I guess. Looks like you have some blue cars and you're close by him, so could save on shipping too. I have time (until spring) to find something else.

BHA43

Reaction score
I just saw this after making that last post. If you can use the wheel go ahead I guess. Looks like you have some blue cars and you're close by him, so could save on shipping too. I have time (until spring) to find something else.

I don't want to step on you toes here! It's your thread. I believe the tilt columns do require a special adapter? But if you pass I am interested!

72Dodge

Reaction score
I don't want to step on you toes here! It's your thread. I believe the tilt columns do require a special adapter? But if you pass I am interested!

It's cool, go for it. Like I said, I have time. Thanks either way to roadrunnerman for the offer! Very generous! If for whatever reason, it doesn't work out for you, I will call him (so please let me know how it works out). Not sure if "week of Christmas" means he can only ship it around then, or he won't even be around to talk about it until then, but either way, go for it man. I'll be looking for a wheel, but my #1 concern is getting the car back on the road/track!

It's now outside, covered by a Rain-X cover for the winter. But... I have a list of items I can work on for it in the basement this winter to make the progress in the spring swifter. Looking forward to posting up all the progress on it next year. I have big plans for this car. It's going to rock!

I will probably post up a thread in a bit for what I need to do to add an aftermarket wheel to this tilt column. I'm sure others here have dealt with it. This K-car steering wheel could not be worse. To me, visually, replacing it will be the #1 upgrade to this car! Wow, what a mismatch!

Back