'83 Mirada street/strip project - my official return to FMJ!

72Dodge

Reaction score
Drat, I was hoping that wasn't the case. I'll check it out again later. It's ok though, because I don't care much about the dash pad, it already has a crack and I have a cover for it anyway, but I do care about the a-pillar trim.

Thanks much.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Let me know if it works......lol.
I didn't pull the dash pad on that Dip but that's the only thing I could think it was.
They weren't attached to anything at the bottom but like I said when I got them out they were flared out at the bottom like a fork
I figure it was getting snagged on the pad spacing.....?

72Dodge

Reaction score
I will. That is what it seems like. They're not attached at top or sides, and they seem to "pivot" around the dash pad area, so that has to be it. I was afraid I was missing something else down there.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think there is a "return" that wraps around the a-piller next to the windshield. If I remember, you have to gently rotate clockwise from the top down on the driver side. Be very gentle.As you rotate the trim, gently bend toward the inside of the car, then slide it back. You did take off the top trim across the windshield?

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the tip. Yes, the metal trim across the windshield an the same above the door are both off. Nothing is holding it on at the top of the a-pillar, that's all 100% loose for sure. The dashboard end is the issue.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Still working on some other things, trying to get them done before it gets too cold out, but I picked up a gift for the 'Rada this morning. A wing from an '82-'85 Firebird. As suspected (okay, as measured), it will fit like it grew there. I don't have the Go Wing off yet, because it seems a couple threads are stripped, so it's going to put up a fight, but I think this body style looks WAY better with a more angular wing. I believe a couple other members have this exact wing on their J-bodies also. All the angles are pretty much perfect. Most people will assume the car came with it once it's in place. Score!

Also I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up a bunch of black vinyl (like racing seat covers are made of) for only $6.99/yard! I'm going to use this to make the custom door panels this winter, and I'll cover the broken plastic door topper things with it too. I thought it would cost like $25/yard, but surprise... so I bought three yards of it which is far more than I need to do this interior. Almost enough to do 2 whole interiors, probably.

IMG_6538_25p.jpg

IMG_6531_25p.jpg

IMG_6538_25p.jpg

IMG_6531_25p.jpg

72Dodge

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Exactly. Something about that swoopy curvy Go Wing just didn't look right on a car with all straight lines. It's hard to tell in the pic, but the new F-Bird wing isn't quite straight, it's slightly V-shaped, which goes nicely with the shape of the rear window and trunk lid. To me, this is what a Mirada spoiler should have looked like.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep....I agree again.
Because the Mirada has such straight lines the Go Wing almost looks a bit goofy.
The F bird one should look sweet on there and I sort of see the V.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I can't get the upper ball joints (threaded) to break loose. Not even after soaking in PB Blaster then hitting it with 110psi for a few minutes. They're just not budging. I'd love to do the whole thing myself, but if I can't get them loose, should I take the upper control arms in someplace with a machine shop (I'm thinking CarQuest or NAPA) to see if they can remove them?

And I haven't even gotten to the lower ball joints yet, but if I can't knock them out, should I just install the front end in the car to make it easier and hope for the best, or just also take the lower control arms into the same machine shop?

Anyone have any experience with this? I've never had this issue before, normally they come out! :BangHead:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
for the uppers you need more torque. try a long pipe. and the lowers yes have a machine shop press them out.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I tried the long pipe before I went to the 110psi impact.

how long was the pipe. the torque is multiplied the longer the the extention I have had problems like the one you are having and had to use a 5 foot chain link fence pipe to break a torque.. as a last resort heating the control arm with a butane torch will expand the control arm enough to break the torque

72Dodge

Reaction score
No, not that long! OK, I'll see what I can dig up. The chain link fence pipe is a good idea. Sounds a little tricky to keep it in place with a pipe that long, I'll probably need to recruit a helper. I was also thinking of soaking the whole control arm assembly in evaporust for a couple days to help loosen it up a bit. It's not any rustier than average, but I'm sure this thing hasn't been off in over 35 years.

Worst case scenario I guess I could just remove the entire upper/lower control arm assemblies from the K that's on the car now and swap the whole thing over, at least for now. Those ball joints aren't brand new, but they're far newer than the original ones on the new one I just got. But, that's the easy way out.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I found a 5 ft long pipe when I was cleaning out the shed today. Should come in handy :)

Finally got the firewall almost done, I had set it aside for awhile. Still needs some finishing touches, smaller holes covered, etc.

My wife wants her car back in the garage now, so I'll work on the door panel fitment one night this week, then the Mirada has to go on ice for the winter. It should go together fairly quickly in the spring once the new front suspension is ready to put in.

IMG_6703_25p.jpg

IMG_6703_25p.jpg

72Dodge

Reaction score
Yeah, I also installed some new lighting in the bathroom today, so that might buy me another week, but as soon as she starts to catch a chill walking the 25 feet to her car in the morning, the end is nigh. Such a rough life!

Back