85 5th ave, Wiper bushings needed, do they exist?

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I found a 5th ave at the junk yard and was going to get the wiper set up.. but there is play at the transmission joint, and where the wiper drive arms attach to the posts that go up to the wipers.

It appears there is a nylon bushing right next to the metal post that does all the work on all three of these joints. Can I get new nylon bushings, or do I need to find another donor car?

Thanks,
Jase

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I'm kind of late to this post. As stated the bushings are available aftermarket. But they are also still available from the dealer. They are a bit of a pain to change, so take my advise, and pay the premium price for the dealer parts. They are much better quality, and will last much longer then the aftermarket bushings.
PS: Do all of them at the same time. Don't just do one or two.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Thanks Charrlie,
I ended up getting the wiper assembly from the salvage yard off a '85 5th avenue, to retrofit onto my '82. It took a bit of trimming and welding of the '85 parts but I have succeeded in getting rid of that plastic transmission assembly that had shattered on the '82. That was my main goal, and I still have the original parts if I or someone else wants to go back to the plastic transmission version. To it's credit the original does "park" the wipers off the windshield, or it should. My version does not.

I have NOT followed your advice, in that I only replaced the two bushings on the drive arm, as a "Proof of concept" that my backyard engineering would succeed in making the wipers work.... If I ever decide to put this junker on the road, I will invest in the real parts, as I had the Dorman stuff on hand, it was that path of least resistance.

volare 77

Reaction score
mopar 3799089. I agree that the mopar ones seem to last longer even though either one will work ok.

Back