A/C compressor removal

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I was thinking about taking the a/c out since it doesn't work anymore. Is there a idler pulley to go in place of it or are the 2 belts on the compressor and alternator the same without a/c?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Use a shorter single belt from the crank pulley to the outermost groove on the alternator. File this rib on the water pump for added belt clearance.

8764-3b41f9b66c8621205d2b0667be644817.jpg

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
That water pump looks a little different than mine. It looks like it doesn't have that tab like the one in the pic.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
No I have a SB. It just seemed a little different, because where that tab is there are two little ridges that blend into the housing from the pipe.

80mirada

Reaction score
Chrysler had two different water pumps for 1970-1991 small blocks, the heavy duty one was higher volume and had larger bearings. The one pictured is a standard duty pump.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Keep in mind also, aftermarket pumps of different brands won't necessarily look the same either. Heck, I've seen aftermarket pumps of the same brand for the same year, make and model of vehicle look totally different.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Ok. I understand that. Just going back to the belt, am I routing it the same way around the water pump or am I bypassing the runaround the water pump and going from the crank straight to the alternator?

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I ended up figuring it out. I managed to squeeze the belt between the water pump and crank pulleys and made a straight shot to the alternator. I test fitted the power steering pump belt on it and worked like a charm. Thanks for the info guys.

Back