Am I missing something?

7071 chally

Reaction score
Hi. have a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and noticed and opening below the glove compartment. I have seen a couple of Fitfh Avenue and they all seems to have this opening, no block-off plate or light or anything. Somebody knows? Pics? Thanks...

Fifth Avenue 87-10.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
It depended on the options that was ordered on the car. Some came with a map light/courtesy lamp some don`t. Also some cars had the harness to plug directly to the light and some you need to find a small harness for the light off another car or a NOS one.

Last edited:

7071 chally

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, but it is a bit weird it doen't have a plate or something to block the hole if you don't have the option. Besides, a Fifth Avenue comes with the light group, (truck light, glove box light, ash tray light, courtesy light, ect...), so why does this light is missing? I would think it should be part of the light group?

Duke5A

Reaction score
I think the option was discontinued somewhere down the line. I pulled one from a junkyard car and wired it into my 87.

Ele115

Reaction score
That's for the courtesy light. My 78 Le Baron has it. None of my diplomats do. I suppose the UAW would have screamed bloody murder back in 1978 if you had forced them to put a small blank plate and two screws into that cavity.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
You need the longer one in these pics, both nos dusty but you get the idea. Shorter one is F

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I have that same hole with no cover in OY. All of my other F's without the light package also only had the hole. I've never seen one covered. I'm hoping that the wiring is back in the dash somewhere so I can install one I picked up a while back.

Aspen500

Reaction score
No cover is most likely a bean counter thing, would be my guess. You know, save 4 cents per vehicle?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
It should be part of your harness under the dash that also has the glove box light, the yellow to cowl ground and the cigg lighter and the cig lighter light, if I remember correctly.

Ive a used lil harness if yours dont have it.

DSC00060.JPG

DSC00061 (2).JPG

old yellow 78

Reaction score
OY doesn't have ANY of the light package items unfortunately. So, no glove box light, cig light, or ignition light either. I do want to install the fender mounted turn signal lights, and some cars have the lead for them to just plug into, but OY doesn't for some reason. I gotta get under the dash one of these days and find the wiring (hopefully) for the Chronometer, courtesy light, etc. I also have the amber reverse light that mounts on the lower half of the dash under the glove box door that they used on the pre-'78 F's with floor mount shift. I need to figure out how to hook that up too (even though it's not "correct" for a '78 model, I don't care, I just like it).

volare 77

Reaction score
I agree with Duke, I think they were discontinued at some point in time. I tried to look one up for 1985 and it didn`t show a listing.

Ele115

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is tied up there and they were a dealer upsell. An easy $75-100 Some of the fleet Diplomats I've seen had a big bundle of wiring coming through that opening for customer equipment. My 88 Did

MoparDan

Reaction score
I think they got rid of that light around 1980 or so, I used to have an '82 Fifth Avenue and it didn't have the map light and it had the glovebox light, the power trunk release, and the glovebox clock. I found a light on eBay and quickly found out that there was no plug for it, so I just wired it to the glovebox light and it worked fine. Afew years ago I installed one in my '85 Gran Fury that I found in an '80s Ram Charger, the Fury doesn't have the trunk release or glove box light, and for some reason the wiring harness has the plug for the glovebox light but not the trunk release, and one again no plug for the map light

DCAspen

Reaction score
Wiring harness for map,ash tray,glove box lights for F-Body are a seperate harness,not included on the standard underdash unit.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
But the main harness does have the 4 wire male plug for it, about 8-10 inches to the right of the fan speed plug. At least the ones ive got. Or is it like some of the engine wire harnesses that do or dont have the fender turn indicator plugs?

The added harness is 3843611 on the f and there is even another wire with a pn (3843XXX) that plugs into the orange lead and splits into to, maybe the dome light or, its a long lead.

Last edited:
Back