Another Cordoba possibility

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well ... I just now saw this. Its probably gone. But it is in the US.

1977 Chrysler Cordoba - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...
green-cordoba_600x450.jpg

I asked for more pictures (rust areas, engine bay, and underneath).

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
You may be aware of this already but, one area they do like to rust is the spring shackle mounts and then the spring ends up in the trunk when it tears through the trunk floor. Even on cars with little rust elsewhere they do that. Had one, a '78 that had only a very small amount of rust in the 1/4's, mostly over the wheel openings and the far outer corners of the deck lid, and the shackle mounts still sort of vaporized. Can be repaired (and I did), just something to be aware of.

BTW, I still have the wheel covers from that car, the fancy ones with the big hex nut in the middle and fins around the edges. If you ever get a Cordoba that has plain covers (like the green one here), you are welcome to them. They're half ways decent shape, nowhere near mint but also nowhere near junk either.

Filthy picture, lol.

DSCF0005.JPG

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
This cordoba was sold on Thursday. The day after I asked about it.
But it was for sale for 13 days before I noticed it.
Ah well.

I'll take you up on the wheel covers.

My search continues.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hey JW, look what I just spotted on CL. Not sure if you're a fan of the stacked headlights or want the earlier round light version but.........................
Not positive exactly where it's located except that it says Shawano on the map, which is like 50-60 miles east of here, give or take a few miles. Appears to be a darn nice car for a darn reasonable price. Loaded with all the goodies and sounds like they all work, except for the cruise. Bonus, it's already got the fancy wheel covers ;)

1979 Chrysler Cordoba - CLEAN - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

01717_bA6KndnVJdC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_lz9ZhsHQDoa_0CI0qi_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_1Yt7PFyQnxT_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
I like it, but my hunt involves the round (unstacked headlights).
I've realized I have 5 things in my 'want' list ...
round headlights
green
floor shifter
400 engine
fine corinthian leather
BUT
the only one thats non-negotiable is .... round headlights.

I almost fell for the white with maroon interior but but just could not see me sitting in that weird aztec/indian motif. lol

Keep me in your thoughts and searches though...
JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I tell you what, if I had an extra $5,000 just laying around and room in the garage I'd be all over the blue one! I've missed my '78 since the day it went to that great organ donor yard way back in 1996 when the front spring hanger suddenly appeared inside the car. If it was now, I would fix it, but at the time it just wasn't going to happen so the tough choice was made. Sucked too, even with 280,000 miles the interior still looked almost new:( In other words, kick, kick, kick.
Really bad photo's of photo's from '94 or '95 I think.

OK, round headlights are a must. Got it!:p

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Mr C

Reaction score
I love Cordobas...round eye or stacked variety, they are sexy machines.

My low miles 79 survivor with the M's
HPIM2253.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
My '78 was one of the favorite cars I've ever owned. Not THE favorite but, right up there. Paid $2,400 for it in 1986 with about (IIRC) 80,000 miles. Adequate power, (360 4 brl) darn good handling, comfortable, silent inside while going down the highway and got not too bad of mpg's (high teens avg). Even the factory AM/FM stereo sounded fairly good for the day. Get on the highway, turn the A/C on, set the cruise and drive. Always amazed me how you could drive it for 6 hours straight and never once have to shuffle in the seat (buckets) trying to get comfortable and when you got where you were going, get out and feel like you only drove around the block. Oh yeah, plenty of room in the trunk for all the stuff you wanted to take, wherever it is you were going. Yes, I miss that car.

Unfortunately, I drove it year round (as it had been since new of course) and by 1995, Wisconsin winter salt got the better of it. Stupid salt....................

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
You guys are just making my fever run high to get a cordoba.
Mr C -- you have my color
Aspen500 -- you have my attention

Great stories, great pictures.
If i've learned anything, its 'Things Take Time'.

The hunt continues.
JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
It took me over 2 years of looking to find my '08 Mustang and the wait was worth it. Ended up with a California, never in salt, well maintained, 62,000 miles for $7,295. The Cordoba will come!

Mr C

Reaction score
It took me over 2 years of looking to find my '08 Mustang and the wait was worth it. Ended up with a California, never in salt, well maintained, 62,000 miles for $7,295. The Cordoba will come!
I grew up in the rust belt and had a Dove Grey 78 sunroof car(360 2bbl like my 79) that fell victim to the leaf-springs-through-the-trunk-floor thing. I agree...dang salt.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think the springs through the trunk floor did in many, many cars around here, B-body Mopar in particular. What did tons of A-bodies in was the torsion bar cross member rust and then the bars anchors twisted out. I remember seeing Dusters, Darts, Valiants, running around with either one, or both sides bouncing on the snubbers. They would get driven like that until the upper control arm mounts rusted off the subframe and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,all done. C-bodies? A lot of them succumb when the front stub frame mounts rotted away and the car basically folded at the firewall.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Seems so odd to me when you describe the salt issues.
Like another world.
Gets icy here and you load a few extra sacks of feed in the back end of the truck for traction. Generally the ice is gone in a few hours.
Although, in the bigger cities they do treat the roads on the fly-overs.

I doubt I'd make it long if I had to live in the winter somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Totally unprepared and ignorant of what to do. I wouldn't even know what to ask about.

Now if I can just get that last rock off the skid plate of the truck, I won't have to listen to the squeaking.... at least until the next time I have to go out and feed cattle.

JW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You do learn how to drive on ice and snow with practice. You live in a place that doesn't get much of either, so its pretty scary. Live with it 5-6 months a year, and you get pretty good at it.

Usually, during the first snowstorm of the year, drivers are all over the place. Gradually, they do get better. Happens every year.

I remember reading an article by one of the columnists in the car magazines many years ago. He stated that drivers are the worst at driving during the worst weather in their area. His example was Southern California. Because it was fairly dry most of the year, drivers were bad at driving in the rain. in Buffalo, NY, they were pretty good in the rain, but bad at driving in heavy snow.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Seems so odd to me when you describe the salt issues.
Like another world.
Gets icy here and you load a few extra sacks of feed in the back end of the truck for traction. Generally the ice is gone in a few hours.
Although, in the bigger cities they do treat the roads on the fly-overs.

I doubt I'd make it long if I had to live in the winter somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Totally unprepared and ignorant of what to do. I wouldn't even know what to ask about.

Now if I can just get that last rock off the skid plate of the truck, I won't have to listen to the squeaking.... at least until the next time I have to go out and feed cattle.

JW

Forget hours once winter sets in all but the major roads get a thick icy white crust on them that lasts for weeks or longer until it melts off. And when you can see the asphalt it's white from salt until the spring when the melting and street sweepers clean the last of it away. The same salt makes vehicles white halfway up their sides. It's no big deal to wash off but it comes back the next time you're out driving again.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Two words that make all the difference for those of us "lucky enough" to live where there's snow and ice. Those words are Winter Tires (Bliizzack, Winterforce, etc). Worth every dollar they cost! It isn't so much salt on the outside of the car, it's the salt that gets in every nook and cranny and is almost impossible to wash out that causes the mass rust problems. Hence, Cordoba's are non existent here, as are most any other vehicle built before about 2005, UNLESS it's never been driven in winter.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Makes more sense now that you explained the situation.
We just did have a little over 6 inches of rain in th past 3 days. Another inch or so tomorrow. Then we should dry out.
Strangest dang weather.
Probably just as well I haven't had time to look lately.
JW

Back