Another oddball question-What temporary spare for a Mirada?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at the trunk of the Mirada, its pretty fair sized, before the full sized spare tire is put in. A lot of space gets used up by that spare. Is there a temporary/compact spare tire that can be used with our cars? I know that there was one from the factory, but it was not the skinny spare tire that comes with modern cars, it was more of a full sized rim with a collapsed tire on it that you filled up with a can of air. What I am asking about is the modern, skinny spare. I would like to see if it fits in one of the side wells of the trunk. freeing up a lot of room in the trunk (and right in the middle of the trunk). Does anybody know if a skinny spare tire that has the correct bolt patterm (5 X 4 1/2") that could be used? As long as the bolt pattern matches, it could be from another car or manufacturer. I don't think that offset is an issue.

80mirada

Reaction score
Dodge Intrepid(Concorde,Vision, LHS, and 300M) Grand Caravan(Voyager, and Town and Country) both have the right hub size and bolt pattern. Ford Crown Victoria, or post 95 mustang have the right bolt pattern. There are compact spares from Crown Vics that have alloy rims. Maybe Ford Ranger or Aerostar \Windstar

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
IIRC, there were two different spare tire setups. A full size that was stored in the center of the trunk, resting half below the package tray. There was a compact spare tire that was stored in the quarter panel tub, on the right side, by the marker light. All jacks were on the left side quarter panel tub.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That is what I am trying to do, is to take the full sized spare that I currently have, and replace it with a modern, Skinny Spare, and put it into one of the side panel tubs (what I called "wells"). I don't know that it is is possible to find the originals, or if I would even want to, considering that they are now 30+ years old, but a modern skinny spare, if I could find one would work out just as good. Just have to make sure that the bolt pattern and center bore are good.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodge Intrepid(Concorde,Vision, LHS, and 300M) Grand Caravan(Voyager, and Town and Country) both have the right hub size and bolt pattern.
WRONG!
The above mentioned vehicles have a small bolt pattern (matches the early A-bodies), and wheels have a major offset difference. The rear brake drum on wife's Town and Country minivan is the same part number as one used on a '69 Dart, front.

I have "heard" that many Jeeps share the same bolt pattern and acceptable wheel offset that may work on our cars - but I have not conformed that (maybe someone else can).

Ford Crown Victoria, or post 95 mustang have the right bolt pattern. There are compact spares from Crown Vics that have alloy rims. Maybe Ford Ranger or Aerostar \Windstar
I have no information to confirm or deny this information.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know how much of a difference wheel offset would make on a 3" wide tire.

Thank for the correction on the bolt patter for the Front drive Mopars.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
My 81 has the factory skinny setup, the one you're looking for.. keep an eye out at your local yards, as a skinny-spare from those cars would work just fine, too. Incidentally, flats aren't nearly as common with modern rubber... On my B-Body Cordobas, all which had the big spare, I would actually get rid of it as I hated it taking up so much space in the trunk. Knock on wood, never needed it. I did have a need for the little spare on my 81. I heard a rattling noise, and determined that I was about to loose the dome and cap setup on my 10-Spokes. I had to pop on the skinny-spare in a parking long enough to tighten up the retaining nuts for the dome!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have gone through the same thought processes: Do I need a spare at all? Will tire goop and a compressor do? All valid questions, and no clear cut answer in any direction. I have had a high speed blowout n another car, and used a skinny spare then; it was the only time in 30+ years of driving, but it does sort of make you err on the side of caution, especially if you are going off the beaten path.

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
I have owned both style Intrepids, a 97 and a 04. Both are 5 on 4.5, as have all three of my dads vans (89 grand Voyager, and 96 and 99 Grand Caravan). The early vans only tow package had the large pattern. Ford has used 5 on 4.5 since at least the fifties. Most jeeps are also 5 on 4.5

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
I bought 4 space saver rims from a random junk yard stack of tires with the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern to roll my car around in the shop. Yes they will fit well in the qtr panel wells and no clearance problems with the front calipers or rear drums...the major issue is my car became a slammed lowrider....too low for any kind of highway travel in my opinion, especially if it's the rear tire, where possible rear gear issues can occur from the excessive stagger. I traded those four space savers for four full size wheel/tires as seen in my FMJ garage. I'm calling a rollback if ever I have a flat...call me OCD or lucky, but I have never used a spare tire on any car in my life...but also, I've only had two flat tires in my driving life. My Mirada trunk is currently without a spare...I did keep the jack for mechanical issues.

Justwondering

Reaction score
You guys are lucky and craaaazzzzyyyy.
I've had a flat on my Chrysler Concorde (twice) each time just off the main highway. First time it happened, I learned to back off the lugnuts at home and retighten myself with a star wrench so I could get them off by myself.

I've had a flat on the same gooseneck trailer three times.. Different tire each time. Once completely loaded, on a major highway under construction, over 150 miles from home and blocked a full lane of traffic for almost 2 hours. I had no jack with enough throw to get the wheel off the ground. I learned to carry a 4x4 and bigger bottle jack.
2nd time it was hauling hay. Drove the front wheel of the double axle up on the 4x4 and didn't have to use a bottle jack to change it.
3rd time I found that the spare was flat. I learned to check all tires, even the spare.

I've had a flat on the 4 yard dump trailer, fully loaded with granite drop offs on a back road home. Was in the process of changing the flat when a utility worker stopped and used his generator/impact wrench/and time to change it for me.

I've had a flat on the front tire of my Dually, on the back roads 15 miles from home. None of the wrenches in the toolbox fit the front lug nuts. I learned to test the wrench vs the lug nut size. Learned to carry my own oversized socket and a cheater bar to get the lugnuts off.

I've had a flat on my Chevy truck, but it was in the driveway. I learned to use the front end loader of the tractor to lift the truck, just cause I wanted to try it. It works if you are careful.

Personally, I would never go anywhere without a fullsize spare, and oversized jack with extra throw, an oversize socket, a cheater bar.

Me and flats is kinda like BudW and his auto insurance claims. LOL

I'm going the other way. Out with the skinny tire and in with a full size spare. No plans to be stuck with a flat and no way to get back home.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
You guys are lucky and craaaazzzzyyyy.
I've had a flat on my Chrysler Concorde (twice) each time just off the main highway. First time it happened, I learned to back off the lugnuts at home and retighten myself with a star wrench so I could get them off by myself.

I've had a flat on the same gooseneck trailer three times.. Different tire each time. Once completely loaded, on a major highway under construction, over 150 miles from home and blocked a full lane of traffic for almost 2 hours. I had no jack with enough throw to get the wheel off the ground. I learned to carry a 4x4 and bigger bottle jack.
2nd time it was hauling hay. Drove the front wheel of the double axle up on the 4x4 and didn't have to use a bottle jack to change it.
3rd time I found that the spare was flat. I learned to check all tires, even the spare.

I've had a flat on the 4 yard dump trailer, fully loaded with granite drop offs on a back road home. Was in the process of changing the flat when a utility worker stopped and used his generator/impact wrench/and time to change it for me.

I've had a flat on the front tire of my Dually, on the back roads 15 miles from home. None of the wrenches in the toolbox fit the front lug nuts. I learned to test the wrench vs the lug nut size. Learned to carry my own oversized socket and a cheater bar to get the lugnuts off.

I've had a flat on my Chevy truck, but it was in the driveway. I learned to use the front end loader of the tractor to lift the truck, just cause I wanted to try it. It works if you are careful.

Personally, I would never go anywhere without a fullsize spare, and oversized jack with extra throw, an oversize socket, a cheater bar.

Me and flats is kinda like BudW and his auto insurance claims. LOL

I'm going the other way. Out with the skinny tire and in with a full size spare. No plans to be stuck with a flat and no way to get back home.
I think maybe you should drive with your glasses on more often and avoid(not aim for) all the really sharp rocks.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I had a rear tire go flat. Those of you with SureGrips, if you get a flat on one of the rear tires. You must use the same diameter tire on the other side .
I've had to swap the 2 front tires to the back. And swap the one good rear tire to the front and use the compact spare on the front. I was running 215/65/15 upfront
And 275/60/15 in the rear. There was no way a compact spare would play nice with the other 28" tall 275/60 tire. Different diameter tires on the rear axle, especially with a SureGrip , is a no-no ...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I DO NOT like impacts on tires - for I want to make sure I can remove myself on road side.
I remove tires, place in pickup and take in, loose.
My occurrence of damaged/broken studs have dropped, drastically (as well).
WRONG!
The above mentioned vehicles have a small bolt pattern (matches the early A-bodies), and wheels have a major offset difference. The rear brake drum on wife's Town and Country minivan is the same part number as one used on a '69 Dart, front.
Well, I made an error in my above quote.

Most Chrysler Minivans (not the newer ones) have a small bolt pattern for those with 14” Wheels (early A-body), as well as a larger bolt pattern for those with 15 or 16” wheels (ones that will fit our cars).

The Minivans and many other front wheel drive cars with 14” wheels – the wheels won’t fit. The ones with 15” or larger, most will fit – with exception that offset is drastically different.

My apologies for trying to give out bad/partially incorrect information.

BudW

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's what I'm looking for, the mid 2000's T&C donut and the jack/tool package. I never thought of Crown Vics though. Some did have an alloy mini-spare wheel. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I want a compact spare because a full size won't fit on top of the axle hump with rear speakers. Plus,,,,,,I have a carpet cover for a mini-spare, lol.

The tire changing jack idea is easier to stow and there's no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I'm using a bumper jack. Hopefully, I'll never need a spare period. In my 36 years of driving I've gotten a flat tire exactly once. There, now I just jinxed myself, dang it.....................:oops:

80mirada

Reaction score
There were compact spares for Grand Cherokee, Cherokee and Libertys. They are fairly rare though. The Intrepid had a nice long travel jack as do post-96 minivans.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
All of my J bodies have their original screw type jacks. I don't know what long travel means reagarding actual amount of travel, but they do seem to be able to go from almost flat to fairly high. I'm pretty sure the screw jacks were factory standard, at least on the J bodies.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The scissor style jack is much safer to use than the bumper jack is - by a huge margin.

In ’78 Chrysler started to change over from bumper to scissor style jacks and by ’80 everything had one (except pickups).

I’ve seen at least three dozen different styles from Chrysler and even more from other manufactures.

In my opinion is a design that straddles the rocker panel pinch weld is the best for our cars – but any of them will work.

Example pictures were swiped from the internet.
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg

Back