Anybody Else Use "Vintage" License Plates?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They won't say it, but it's about the new plates being reflective for tolls/photo radar.
Bingo.

My state had changed the entire tag system last year. They went from a stamped and painted plate to a flat plate with a reflective sticker on it.
I would think the non-reflective plate would be more photogenic – but what do I know.

Also, select (not all) Oklahoma City police and some Oklahoma Highway Patrol cars are equipped with several tag level cameras (I think I was told ten) around the car. These cars transmit tag numbers back to (somewhere) non-stop and if a tag number pops up as stolen (or whatever), it will alert the driver. Otherwise, the driver or occupants don’t get involved with the tag gathering information - except at traffic stops.
I was told by a friend; the cameras only need a tenth of a second to record the tag number and about ten seconds for a message if tag is flagged.

I asked and the reply I got, is the tag readers don’t look at if tags are out of date or if you are late on re-registering them. They are looking for stolen tags or tags that police are actively looking for.

On an unrelated (?) issue, there are nationally advertised companies who will give you a quote for selling your car based off only a tag number.

Also, some automotive software packages, like Mitchells ProDemand (automotive labor times, service manuals, TSB’s, etc.), also use tag numbers to pull up the cars (or customers).
Mitchells ProDemand.JPG

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t like the way the above picture looked, so I retook the picture and blew it up a bit.
Mitchells ProDemand b.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
There are some toll roads in Toronto and we have red light cameras.

Also our cops have special cars with that automatic plate tracking and run around parking lots looking for stuff.

I still have some of the old plates and run a set on my 79 Medallion.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some toll roads in Toronto and we have red light cameras.
So, there is a red-light district in Toronto . . . and it is on the toll-roads!

People talk about the toll road that goes around Oklahoma City – on how it would be a great place to have an affair at – for there are so few people that use the road, a person won’t get caught.
I’m not sure how that would work, sense there is no parking areas on that road – but a person can travel a very high rate of speed for a long time without passing anyone on it . . .

Driving around parking lots and shopping malls – I would guess the above-mentioned cars might do well at – but that didn’t come up in conversation.
I would think someone who is avoiding the law, wouldn’t go to a shopping mall, or if a car was stolen – it would be chopped up to FedEx sizes for shipping later fairly quick. Sense I’ve no experience in either – my data might be lacking.
BudW

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I got my "new" old plate in the mail... I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go for the SP registration.
There are pros and cons. The ONLY con is some "restrictions" on use... the money-changers don't want you using the vehicle as a daily driver. You're only supposed to drive it to shows, to be worked-on, or to "club events". Kinda tough for the cops to prove where you were or weren't going if you should get pulled over, get cited, and take it to court. A few exceptional individual officers and deputies aside, our cops haven't drunk the fascist Kool-Ade that seems to be circulating east of the Rockies, north of the Columbia River, and south of the Siskiyou Mts. Most will be cool w you if you're cool w them, especially if you're up to date with your insurance, CHL, lights working, etc.

"I'm on my way to a FFMJBO club meeting, officer".
"At 3 am?"
"Yes, sir. We're real ambitious".
"Okay. Have a good, uh... morning".

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The D/D doesn't matter to me as I don't D/D it.
I always have a back up plan incase a cop whines about going cruising.
Carry a real camera and you are on a photo-shoot.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I would think someone who is avoiding the law, wouldn’t go to a shopping mall, or if a car was stolen – it would be chopped up to FedEx sizes
You're right about that. They're only going to recover low-value cars that were jacked just for the ride and then ditched. High-value cars stolen for high-value parts will be tucked-away ASAP, not left in a Rite-Aid parking lot.
But for the person that had their only means of transportation stolen by some low-life who just got tired of walking, the person who relied on that "low-value" vehicle to move their kids around, to get to work everyday, or to BE their work everyday... recovery is a Godsend. That crap-can Camry or F150 is a thread to LIFE.

Violent car-jackings that end with the violent car-jacker being killed on the spot by the intended victim warm my cold heart.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I would think someone who is avoiding the law, wouldn’t go to a shopping mall, or if a car was stolen – it would be chopped up to FedEx sizes for shipping later fairly quick. Sense I’ve no experience in either – my data might be lacking.
BudW

Most stolen around here is just transportation for the ghetto people or a ride back to the rez for the impaired natives.
And you can go to the mall and steal another car for the return trip to the ghetto.
The bigger cities have the real pros with chop shops, VIN duplicating/shipping out of country.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
I've tried several search engine that bring up car info via plate #s. None have been able to link my PA Classic Car plate to my 67 rambler, I've had the classic plate since 1987.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I punched in the tag number on my wagon (don’t know offhand the tag numbers on my other vehicles) and came up with this:
20180530_161704 a.jpg

Mitchells ProDemand C.jpg

Mitchells ProDemand D.jpg

The vehicle is too old to pull any data up in my Mitchells labor guide – but the VIN does match the car (as pulled up by plate number).
77 Volare VIN b.jpg

It may work on older tags, as well, possibly. I just don’t have access to any older tags to find out.
BudW

bbeep79

Reaction score
In Wisconsin, I think the law is you have to have current registration, or 'Collector' plates for your old vehicle, and you can use 'Year of Manufacture' plates on your car, but need to carry your new plates and registration with you. Anybody who does this usually carries a copy of the statute with them for the officer who is going to pull you over, so you don't sit by the side for an hour while he tries to find the law, or writes a ticket.

I switch my plates when I get to a show. I've owned this car since new, and had these plates on the car in the '80's.
Lucky to have somehow had an extra pair of '79 stickers in a drawer.
1979 Road Runner 1.JPG
1979 Road Runner 5-7-2015 3.JPG
1979 Road Runner 5-7-2015 5.JPG

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Florida is nuts with tags. Over 100 different style tags. But for this thread, if the vehicle is over 30 years old, you can get "antique" tags, and they have to be renewed every year, and have a sticker on them (no restriction on use). They also have "collectable", "Horseless carriage", I think a couple others. Also you can use "year of vehicle" tags, they have to be sent in, to be verified as original (not copies), and in good condition. I have Antique tags on all four of my drivers.

Poly

Reaction score
Got the "year of vehicle" tags for a car. And had to be sent away too, for approval. Lost about six weeks of insurance time.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive 76 tags on one and they are even from another state, my dmv links them to my normal plates that I carry in the car all the time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Wisconsin has mainly 2 specialty plates for cars 20 years old or older. "Collector" and "Hobbyist". Collector is aimed more at stock vehicles and Hobbyist is for modified. You have to submit photos of the car when applying for either one. Not sure exactly but, the price is around $250 one time and the tags are good until the day you die. They aren't valid in January (for obvious reasons). That one was added a few years ago to discourage abuse. Some were getting plates for winter beater POS's back when it was $90 one time fee. That restriction and raising the price, along with photo submission when applying, cut down on fraud a ton.

I've got "Hobbyist" plates. Only downside to them is the colors. Green with yellow numbers. Oh well.........................
DSCF0002.JPG

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I briefly registered OY with a standard Pennsylvania tag to drive it back from Colorado when I first bought it. I don't think I could have insured it otherwise to travel that far.
Davids Camera 400.JPG

After I got home with it, I then transferred it to a PA purple antique tag that a friend had "legally surrendered" to me from a Volvo P1800 that he sold.
Late July 2015 026.jpg

I also have a PA purple antique tag on my '50 Pontiac.
IMG_20180731_110030266_HDR.jpg

I really like the purple tags - very distinctive, and they aren't making them anymore. They are good for life, no inspection required, and I've never had any trouble driving around with them. But then, obviously, neither one is a daily driver.

Ele115

Reaction score
I just use regular tags. If I sell something antique, the tag may have 16 months left on it and I may end up transferring it to a 2018 such and such a month later. I wouldn't be able to transfer the antique tag to something newer. Or vice-versa. I buy and sell a lot of cars and see no benefit to a turquoise tag I can only have on 25% of my vehicles.

Back