Anybody running 18" wheels? Let's see them.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I'd like to see what 18" wheels look like on an FMJ. If you have them, please post some pics and specs of the wheels.

Greg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Yeah, 18x9 in the rear and 18x8 in the front. Rims are American Racing Torque Thrust VN515. Tires are 285-40-18 on back and 255-45-18 on the front. The backs will rub the inside forward part of the wheel wells if the car bites traction wise with my foot in it. The fronts will rub the t-bars when the steering is at the limits. I went down in size on the front to 235-40-18 and fixed the rubbing, but there isn't enough sidewall to protect the rims now on our shit Michigan roads. Bent two rims in the last five years, but damn, I really do like how it looks.

Thinking of going back down to a 16" or 17" with the same style wheel.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Good man! Here's the question. On the fronts with the tire facing forward center, how much space do you have between the front tire and edge of the front fender? How much clearance do you also have when you turn? Lastly, what is the overall tire diameter?

Greg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Good man! Here's the question. On the fronts with the tire facing forward center, how much space do you have between the front tire and edge of the front fender? How much clearance do you also have when you turn? Lastly, what is the overall tire diameter?

Greg

I can't answer the first two right now as the car is still buried in the garage with the cover half over it. I've got the passenger side axle out due to a seal leak. The 255-45-18 tire I had rubbing issues with is 26.97" in diameter. The 235-40-18 I went to afterwards with no rubbing issues is 25.28".

I never had problems with fender clearance though even with the taller tire. Issue was a slight rub on the torsion bar and k-frame at full wheel lock.

20170731_150737.jpg
20170731_150750.jpg

The rear tire is a 285-40-18 that is 26.97" in diameter has a slight rub when the rear suspension is fully loaded. Doesn't happen often during regular driving. On a typical road surface I don't get traction and the car goes full squirrel if I keep my foot in it.

20190331_160310.jpg

You're not going to have much sidewall going 18" no matter what tire you use. Unless you need the wheel clearance for large rotors and calipers I would highly recommend going 17" at the most. I was originally planning on going with a Brembo Viper caliper setup with 13" rotors up front - that's why 18" wheel went on. I changed direction as I couldn't justify $2k on brakes alone for the front end. Ended up going with 11.75" slotted and drilled rotors with 4 piston Wilwood calipers. This setup will supposedly fit under a 15" wheel, although I haven't tried it. Really have no desire to go back to a factory diameter wheel either. If I do go down is size later on it'll be 16" or 17" for sure.

20200126_155127.jpg

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Thanks a LOT for the info! This "stay at home" thingie has me going out to my garage and getting back to my project after several years off. I have the Dodge Dakota suspension mocked up in the car but not welded in. That means I can slide it back an inch or so for wheel clearance if I need to, but I was wondering if I actually should. I've got a set of 18" aftermarket Bullit rims I've been hoping to use but wasn't sure of the tire size that would work for me.

So, in my garage stash, I pulled out three wheels to check for a fit:

E78 14 wheel - 25.5" diameter (Original wheel that came on the car)
P235/55 R17 - 26.5" diameter (Stock Mustang wheel)
225/60 R18 - 28.75" diameter (Stock Dodge Charger Police wheel)

From lock to lock, both the original and Mustang wheel fit fine and don't touch any bodywork. However, the Charger wheel hits the edge of the front fender when turned and needs about 1" more clearance. With what you've provided looks like I'd be safe with a tire diameter of no more than 26.5".

Greg

Volare_wheels_667.jpg

Last edited:

Opticon77

Reaction score
Keep in mind the width of the tire and offset of wheel (And caster adjustment, and lower control arm bushing wear) will affect that front fender clearance point as well during a tight turn.

My 255s (on a zero offset) are a 27" diameter and just barely touched the trim screw down there before I massaged it. Now they everything clear just fine.

Translated to an 18x8" zero offset wheel that's a 255/40R18. THAT is what I consider the maximum tire and wheel you could fit on the front of an FMJ.

I suspect Duke's inside rubbing might have been due to a +6mm offset. Duke can you confirm the "ET#" printed on your front wheel?

B0zkfrB.jpg

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...I was originally planning on going with a Brembo Viper caliper setup with 13" rotors up front - that's why 18" wheel went on. I changed direction as I couldn't justify $2k on brakes alone for the front end. Ended up going with 11.75" slotted and drilled rotors with 4 piston Wilwood calipers. This setup will supposedly fit under a 15" wheel, although I haven't tried it...View attachment 39802

Damn...so tell us more about the specifics of that caliper setup!

I don't put enough miles on my coupe, but you can never have enough braking power, so if I was looking for an upgrade that would allow me to keep my 11.75" disc you bet this would be the way to go.

Come better weather and a lot less of that pandemic feeling (plus the border openning up) I'd be happy to swing on by with my coupe that is sporting the 15" rims, you know for the benefits to humanity of course... lol!

Duke5A

Reaction score
Damn...so tell us more about the specifics of that caliper setup!

I don't put enough miles on my coupe, but you can never have enough braking power, so if I was looking for an upgrade that would allow me to keep my 11.75" disc you bet this would be the way to go.

Come better weather and a lot less of that pandemic feeling (plus the border openning up) I'd be happy to swing on by with my coupe that is sporting the 15" rims, you know for the benefits to humanity of course... lol!

It's a discontinued setup from AR Engineering. I shot Andy over on Moparts a PM about and he actually had a pair of the caliper adapters in drawer in his shop, so he sold them to me. When the box came in it was the plans for making the brackets. That was really cool of him.

Calipers are 4 piston Wilwood units that have the dust seals. It's not like their race only calipers, these are for street use.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You can get the caliper brackets that allow the use of 11.75" rotors (1978 Cordoba 400 big block) from Dr. Diff. Last time I looked, they were $US100 a pair. You use the stock calipers, spindles, etc., and just add the big rotors.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I just put some factory 2006 Chrysler 300 18inch rims and tires on minimal rubbing once i put the air shocks back on

View attachment 40182

I see you're on the West side of the state. I'm just Northeast of Warren.

I really do like how that looks. You didn't run into issues with the bolt pattern being 114.3mm?

Willmopar318

Reaction score
I see you're on the West side of the state. I'm just Northeast of Warren.

I really do like how that looks. You didn't run into issues with the bolt pattern being 114.3mm?
Not a bit, at least on the chrome clad ones did have to bore out the center of a plain aluminum one i had to run until i can find the fourth one to match. The 9 spoke chrome clad ones go straight on and I think look great.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Not a bit, at least on the chrome clad ones did have to bore out the center of a plain aluminum one i had to run until i can find the fourth one to match. The 9 spoke chrome clad ones go straight on and I think look great.

Those rims compliment a 5A well.

How is the ride quality? When I went 15" to 18" it was horrible. The handling is awesome, but you feel everything. I wondered if it had more to do with the lack of overall sidewall or just my choice of tire.

Willmopar318

Reaction score
I think it might have been your tire choice, I'll look but these have a cooper tire that rides really well and seems to handle better than my 15s. I will say though that you can't help but notice the more firm ride once the air shocks whent back on, but i don't mind that either.

Back