Aspen AC -

Millmech

Reaction score
1977 Aspen 318 - Trying to get AC to function. Local shop charged ~$100 for usual recharge, with R-12A [Butane]. Not much happened, vent air 10degrees less than outside air. AC is Dealer Add-On [MickeyMouse AC] with no pressure switches, AC clutch engages when dash knob turned on. Looks like it may have "$99 AIR CONDITIONER!"
I find no replacement parts with the hose-with-hoseclamp connections, all have threaded fittings with O-rings.
It appears that the only things I can use are the compressor [with proper fittings] & the holes in dash & firewall. Anybody have suggestions? Thanks -

Aspen500

Reaction score
Dealer installed A/C systems from back then were horrible. If they worked more than a few months, you were lucky. I installed many of them on Ford's back in the mid-late '80's.

About all I can suggest, aside form changing everything (including the firewall) to put in a factory system, is look at Vintage Air, Old Air, etc. or similar systems. Doubt there's an exact fit kit made for F-body, so a universal kit will be the only option. The modern aftermarket kits are a thousand times better than the old dealer installed crap.

Back