Axles

MoparDan

Reaction score
I was just told that the noise in the differential is either a bad bearing (I think he said carrier bearing) or one of the axles is bad, where would I find new axles from?

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I think
Yur getting ahead of yourself.
Take it apart first and look.
Axle bearings make a noise out by the wheels.
Carrier bearing noise would be inside the diff.
But the most common noise makers are the gears and /or the pinion bearings.

MoparDan

Reaction score
He said he wouldn't know until he has it apart, theres just no way I can afford to have him take it all apart twice, its gonna take me at least two months before I'll even have enough money saved to have him take it all apart, the real issue is I'd need it all back together in a day, since we live in my car and can't afford anyplace...so I'd need the axles just for that reason alone.
The differential is from an '87 Diplomat SE so that's the 7 1/4 right?

MoparDan

Reaction score
Since I'm more clam today heres whats happening: I'm getting this noise from the differential kind of a glug glug glug sound, it seems to start at about 40-45 mph and once it starts it keeps making this noise :eek: I've had this looked at at a garage yesterday and I've been told either a bearing or a bad axle, he said a bearing would be no big deal but finding an axle would be very hard, I'm planning to go to a different garage tomorrow morning for an second opinion. Differential is from a 1987 Diplomat SE that by now must have 300K miles on it, I believe all of the bearings have been replaced but since I lost everything I own in a hotel fire including all of the service records, I can't be sure whats been replaced or the exact mileage on the differential.
Also he said the bearing would cost about $500. to replace does this sound right?

MoparDan

Reaction score
I should also add that this started the other day after I got on the highway for the first time in probably a year so I floored it for a few seconds to blow carbon out (I let off the pedal at about 75) the noise was starting to get loud and when I let of the gas I felt something in the gas pedal hard to describe but something seemed to move like whatever it was was loose I hit the gas again (not very hard) and once again this happend

MoparDan

Reaction score
I don't think its full, a few days ago I noticed that there's a leak on the front of the diff, its pretty slow, but if I park somewhere for a few hours there is a small puddle, I plan on getting some fluid a little later

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If its leaking at the pinion there's a chance that is the bearing that's bad, also I have seen the pinion come lose causing noise in the diff. and a leak.

MoparDan

Reaction score
IMG_20181211_162307.jpg

IMG_20181211_162307.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Well if the pinion nut comes lose it will cause noises in the differential just like a bearing failure and can be corrected inexpensively.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Have you determined the ujoints are good? Are you sure this is a 7.25 or 8.25?

MoparDan

Reaction score
well it came off an '87 Diplomat SE so I'm assuming 7.25, is there anyway to find out by looking at it?
Its definitely not a limited slip if that means anything

MoparDan

Reaction score
As you can see the fluid does not look very good, I climbed underneith this morning to add diff fluid (it was only slightly low) and then I saw this, back in 2017 when we had the hurricane the interior was soaked the engine filled with water, so did the differential, I had the fluid replaced and never though about again, I now think maybe I should've had it done a few times (I had to have the engine oil changed either 2 or 3 times before it looked normal again) so I'm assuming that's why it looks like this

Back