Basic Distributor Cap Question

Justwondering

Reaction score
This is really a 1962 Jeep Willys Pickup question.

I have everyone well, no one in the hospital, and no more doctor visits this week or next.
As a reward, I was going to replace the spark plugs, wires and check the distributor cap.

I got the wires labeled.
All the 6 spark plugs out.

Released the 2 clips on the distributor cap (it doesn't have screws).
I tried pulling the cap off but its on tight.

Is there some trick or technique I should use to remove the distributor cap?
Its a Tornado 230 engine.

Aspen500

Reaction score
No special trick. The clips hold it on. It's just stuck to the distributor housing. You can try GENTLY tapping on it with a rubber hammer or even a piece of 2x4 to knock it loose.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Chalk it up to being nervous about busting something. Got my brother with better hand grip to release it.
Grimy oil dried gunk was sticking it together.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I just had to do a cap and rotor on my 97 Ram. It threw a code for the cam position sensor. That is sometimes called a pick up in under the cap. So I bought it and then realized I have never changed the cap and rotor in 20 years on my Ram. The magnum 360 is just like our LAs except for the beerkeg intake. The screws were just spinning so I had to use a No2 Phillips. I had to lay on my right side on the AC compressor. The other notable thing is the cap on the magnum is male or like an HEI. The LA are female with the plug wire going down inside. The magnum utilizes 90 degree boots on the cap. With the LA, you have to make those. Now I did learn the wire is specifically routed over the top of the cap and I found it in my Chiltons..

Well I must of got it right, since I ran back to junk'n :

Back