BB in a F Body

CM360

Reaction score
Other than using elephant ears, anyone make a kit? BB with about 550 HP? Thanks

NoCar340

Reaction score
No original FMJ rearend is gonna live behind a big block. I have an article that covers the process pretty well in depth; I sent a copy of it to kkritsalis (per his request) so he could check out what's involved.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
From the article, the engine swap itself seems to be fairly straight forward. You will need a BB transmission (727 or tweaked A518) and as Nocar340 pointed out, the 8.25" just won't live with stock BB torque being applied to it, much less a BB that is putting out 550 HP. Cooling will need to be improved, and the rest is pretty simple after using the engine mounts from Schmacher. Your header clearance will be tight, but people do make headers that work for this swap, and you will need a mini-starter for those headers. You would probably want to go with the bigger brake rotors up front (the 11.75" ones, up from the 10.875" that are stock), so brackets from the junkyard or Dr. Diff are going to be needed. Other niggly little things will crop up, I am sure.

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
On the cooling note, if you don't mind a little surgery to the core support, Ready-Rad #433889 is a gem if you have a '73-up B/RB accessory drive with the water pump on the passenger's side of the car. This is true of any FMJ application and is a natural for the small-blocks. It's a monster 3-row radiator from a '70s Dodge truck with a 28"-wide core. I had one in my LeBaron, and the shroud's not too difficult to find used, either. Don't start cutting or drilling until you've got the shroud to use as a "locator" in reference to the fan blade, though.

Back