Better Work Area

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect there are no local ordinances in her area and no building inspectors to check (I’m assuming).

My dad lives in an area where the nearest fire department is an hour’s drive away. No local ordinances – but he builds as if there are plenty, for he is his own fire dept. I’m not even sure a fire truck could get to his place.

Concrete is needed for a rest room, a lift, a pit and/or cellar, and for footings - but I would think a person could build something and use a dirt floor for the time being. There were a lot of homes that used dirt floors back in the day. My grandparents said dirt floors were easier to keep clean than today’s floors (I don’t see how). I guess the 3 second rule wasn’t around back then.

BudW

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
My two biggest regrets in the garage (oh there's plenty more) is not building in a drainage system and spending the big money for 8 foot LED light strips to begin with....over time they are less expensive than florescent and are maintenance free. Personally, I would build my tornado shelter outside of the garage in a wide open space to eliminate the possibility of a car, tractor, or the entire barn collapsing on top of the pit preventing anyone from escaping....but I do love grease pits....with LED lights ideally

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thankfully, there are no building restrictions on the land.
One of many good reasons to live in the country vs suburbia. To put a drain in my garage would have required the installation of a grease/sediment pit and then a yearly inspection and permit renewal (only $20 but still.........) Really no need for it anyways I guess. Now, a sink would be nice but that also would have run the building costs beyond my means because a garage sink also had to have a grease pit, just a smaller version than if you had a floor drain. They also restricted the height. It couldn't be higher than the lowest peak of the house roof which was 12 feet on the newest half so,,,,,,,,,,8 ft ceiling with 4/12 pitch roof on the shop. The lowest peak of the house is now higher than it was at the time (16 feet now) Went from 4/12 to 8/12(?) pitch so now I could go taller on the ceiling height of the shop but that's a moot point. Sigh............................................

I understand the restrictions and requirements and why they are what they are but it really does put a damper on certain things.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So a grease pit, but I need two access points for it. I could use the backhoe to dig out an entrance on the side of the hill, tile the floor and put a drain out to a pit. Clean out the pit periodically. That works.

Put a hydraulic lift inside the tallest bay.

LED lights throughout.

Utility sink, a/c, and heat.

Outside shed for air tank and compressor.

I'll need a 1,500 gallon tank to catch rainwater and a pressure tank to push the water through the system for interior needs and hose to wash vehicles.

Everything insulated.

Covered access so I can clean and wax vehicles in the shade.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You left one item out Justwondering................The Publishers Clearing House van in your driveway with one of those 5 foot checks:p

Just imagine the shop/garage a person could build and equip if money were no object. Got to dream once in a while.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I won the Publishers Clearing House, years ago, and I do not have a fancy shop. :(

Here is the true story. It was right after my beautiful bride, and I were married, and we received the yellow envelope in the mail, so we entered. Well two months later there was this huge fraud investigation launched about the Publishers Clearing House, that they really did not award all of the prizes that they said they were awarding.

Well that had no affect on us, or did it. We started receiving yellow envelopes every week saying we were in the next round of contestants who were getting closer to the grand prize level.

Then one day we received an unmarked envelope. When we opened it there was an official letter inside from the Publishers Clearing House stating that indeed we were prize winners, although we had not won the grand prize. So, since we had not won the grand prize they were able to send us our check directly in the mail, in this correspondence. Sure enough the second page of the packet was a completed cashiers check from the publishers Clearing House, made out in our name, for the grand sum of, $1.50. To this day i still can tell folks that I was a winner!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I did break down and buy a lottery ticket on Sunday.
We had a lot of drama at the house over the weekend and I decided I needed to go to bed with the dream of what I could do with extra bucks.

Nobody called to tell me I won today so I'm guessing I need to keep dreamin..lol

brotherGood

Reaction score
There are enough horse barns around here being unused..I'd just buy one of those, build a house next to it, and deck it out with lifts, cars, tools, etc. Since were on the topic of winning the lottery..haha.

I always tell everyone I'll build a house a half mile back from the road..with a timing line half way down my drive way.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, or so, I won the Publishers Clearing House contest.

I have the cheap looking Chinese watch (with their logo on it) to prove it.

BudW

Back