MARCH374

Reaction score
Thanks. Checked with Firm Feel and they want 400
just for the fronts.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Thanks. Checked with Firm Feel and they want 400
just for the fronts.

I bought mine through them five years ago. I think Bilstein continues the part number for Firm Feel in extremely limited quantities. Bilstein disavows their existence outside of Firm Feel. The limited quantities explains the price. I kicked around the idea of modifying my lower control arms to accommodate a better priced adjustable shock, but never got around to it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The deference between the F body and E body is the length, just a thought.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I was actually looking at GM F body shocks (Camaro). Bayonet on top and eyelet on bottom. Reinforce the lower arm and run a bolt through the side for the eyelet. Never made it beyond kicking the idea around though. How much longer is an E body shock? That might be easier.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'll get the mopar chassis book out when I get home and look.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Problem is (besides length), E-body uses a through bolt at the control arm instead of a stud.

Could be worse. At work, I just replaced the rear shocks on a 2009 GMC Yukon with Mag-Ride and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shocks were a hair under $1,000 each (Genuine GM parts). So $2,000 in parts and $90 labor, ouch.

Last edited:

Opticon77

Reaction score
Any reason you couldn't do what Marko did with Stealth Bomber? It seems to add almost 3" to the shock tube length up front. Having it clearanced through the top of the lower control arm and secured with a bolt through the sides.

SETFDLj.jpg

iM3I8C7.jpg

blI1W6w.jpg

Front Koni "80-2660 SPA1" = Extended-11.69" Compressed-8.00"
Rear Koni Classic "82-1255" = Factory E body lengths

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
That is a tremendous amount of material removed from the control arm, boxing the lower portion would be needed.
But that looks to be simple.

Opticon77

Reaction score
He did. And he added a spot for a heim joint strut bar.

Fl89NSD.jpg

HnBBKG6.jpg

6gDyCJc.jpg

"The Pivot Points Of Our Strut Rods Are On The Same Plane As The Pivotpoints Of Our Lower Control Arms. This Was Not Done By Accident. Bymaintaining The Same Pivot Points, The Lower Control Arm Bushing Willnot Be Subjected To Abnormal Wear From Twisting, And Will Be Allowed Toarticulate As Intended With A More Favorable Motion. The Strut Rodlimits Tension Conveyed To The Torsion Bar When Braking Or Driven Hard.The Torsion Bar Will No Longer Perform Double Duty As A Spring And Alocator For The Lower Control Arm, Allowing It To Do What It Doesbest Providing The Suspension's Spring Requirement."

1989 Dodge Diplomat - 1st Run - Project Build - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Reaction score
Any reason you couldn't do what Marko did with Stealth Bomber? It seems to add almost 3" to the shock tube length up front. Having it clearanced through the top of the lower control arm and secured with a bolt through the sides.

View attachment 32874
View attachment 32875
View attachment 32876

Front Koni "80-2660 SPA1" = Extended-11.69" Compressed-8.00"
Rear Koni Classic "82-1255" = Factory E body lengths

This is done to the frames on 64-72 GM A-bodies to get a longer coil over shock and regain suspensionntravel
All of those would require extensive mods to fit.
No..the Ride techs won't require any mods.
You select what length and mounts to use

The Hotchkiss would needs mods yes

Opticon77

Reaction score
Ridetech 22139850 nearly matches the dimensions and stroke (0.2" shorter at full extent) of known good KYB stuff for the front of our cars.

Unfortunately our OE rear specs fall between 2 Ridetech options:
22179845 is biased 1/2" lower than OE.
22189845 operates about 1/2" higher than OE.

Personally I'd pick the lower of the two so I didn't blow out the shock on compression but I could see some of the raked crowd wanting taller options.

Back