Brake Light In Dash

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Thought I would start the Aspen today and let her run a little today. I noticed the brake light in the dash is staying on. I checked fluid level looks good. I checked brake lines they were all good at each wheel and no leaks. I checked park brake it was also engaged all the way up. Does it have a oil sensor that will trigger it in dash are is there a switch?. Well I just checked switch it seems to be working also. Any of you have a idea what else it could possibly be. Thank You.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
Check the connection at the proportioning valve. If you're getting fluid at all four corners, I'm betting your wire is either disconnected, or broke somewhere.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The light is activated by one of two switches: the parking-brake pedal switch and the combination valve switch. Both are grounding switches. The pedal switch is obvious; the valve switch will only activate if there is a large difference in system pressure between the front & rear hydraulic circuits due to a leak. It does not indicate fluid level itself.

First thing to check is the pedal switch to see if the pedal is fully depressing it. The pedal being fully disengaged and locked in the up position is no guarantee as the switch can dislodge or wear out. Remove the wiring from the switch and don't let it contact anything. If the light goes out, replace the switch.

If it's not the pedal switch, then check the valve switch after you verify that the brakes are functioning correctly at all four corners. Don't just push the pedal and/or look for leaks. Is the system properly bled with all four brake cylinders engaging? If not, the lamp did its job. If so, then check the valve itself. First, check for continuity between the switch terminal and the combination valve's body. No? You're done here and can proceed with wire tracing. If you do have continuity, reconnect the switch. After verifying a good connection, see if there's a manual "reset button" on the valve (it's actually a protruding stem on the metering valve itself, usually with a rubber boot over it). It will be on the end and may not be easy to depress, plus it doesn't move very far. If that does not turn the light off, have someone put light pressure on the pedal and push it again (it's going to be harder this time, you're fighting brake pressure). If that doesn't work or if you don't have the "hold off" button, try a few light taps on each end with a hammer--don't smack the hell out of it. The grooved piston that actuates the switch is spring-loaded on both ends; if it's stuck you may dislodge it back to the "off" position.

If neither of the above solves the problem, it's time to break out the multimeter and start chasing down a short circuit. Get a service manual for your car or see if you can find the wiring diagrams online. They're a great help at this point.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Looks like it will take awhile to research all the wiring. Good thing I have a lot of time and good lighting. I have removed all the inside interior to re do it and when I removed the dash what a mess before my eyes. There is so many things rigged and left off no wonder stuff isn't working like it should be and oh yeah cant forget to mention the live wires that are not even taped or capped off Lol. Thanks for the information.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Looks like it will take awhile to research all the wiring. Good thing I have a lot of time and good lighting. I have removed all the inside interior to re do it and when I removed the dash what a mess before my eyes. There is so many things rigged and left off no wonder stuff isn't working like it should be and oh yeah cant forget to mention the live wires that are not even taped or capped off Lol. Thanks for the information.

I feel your pain....
I have to tear into my Volare dash.
No dash lights, a mystery toggle switch attached to the wiring that doesn't do anything and if you put the hazards on while the radio is playing the radio turns on and off with the flashers....Frankenwiring....

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me and irritates me is some people mess with stuff and when they cant figure it out they just say oh well I will just leave it undone and just give up. I myself have always tried to do the job correctly and completely. Is a pride thing for me plus makes you feel like you have accomplished something at the end of the day not for someone else but for yourself. I am a firm believer if it is broken it can be fixed with time in most cases. Sometimes I tend to over load my brain with information and sometimes I cant always remember all so I use little tips that help me such as color coated tape and I have a little tablet I always write all my notes on in my pocket. Works for me Lol. Yeah sounds like some crossed wires going on there are some wires not grounded correctly Captain.

I had a good laugh today my wife asked me today are you gonna put a cd player in that old car. I said nope all we have is AM/FM push button baby and it will stay that way Lol. I had it rocking on one speaker.:icon_super:

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yeah.....I hate that too....the guy who owned the Volare obviously thought himself a handy guy but in reality knew jack. I'm going to have to pull the entire dash apart to see what the hell he's done.
This is the same guy who did a real nice tune up on it.
When I got it....it had three different brands and gauges of plug wires and the firing order was wrong......

I do a lot of one speaker rocking myself in the Volare.
I love it....still hear the tunes AND the engine!!

2014-06-21 16.51.38.jpg

2014-06-21 16.51.38.jpg

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
As well as what NoCar has said, check to make sure the parking brake switch isn't bent and making contact with itself.

LSM360

Reaction score
If you unplug the wire at the proportioning valve, which is very simple, the light will go off if it's any issue other than the parking brake switch. Quick and simple test.

Back