Broken carb

shadango

Reaction score
My son has a Carter 2bbl on his slant six....

It was a NOS carb when we put it on and in like new shape. That was a good 6 years ago.

Seems that part of the casting where the aircleaner hold down "bail" is attached has broken, shown in the picture.

The loose piece was found, it did NOT go down into the carb or engine thank goodness.

The rest of the casting seems stable enough, and there is just enough tension to hold the air cleaner on with just the one side.

Short of replacing the carb --- anyone know if JB weld would work/be safe to fix this as a long term temporary fix?

I have used JB for stuff before an it works great in general...but my bigger concern is if it doesnt hold and breaks off and goes into the engine in pieces.....probably not as dangerous as metal bits would be but stilll....

Not sure how else to repair this pot metal or aluminum or whatever it is.

I used to have some stuff...little bottles of powder...that you put on and then add drops of superglue to...hardens like a rock ......same concern with that stuff.

Anyone run into this problem?

broken carb bail wire 11 2021.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
The regular JB Weld (type that's been around since the beginning of time) wouldn't work very well in that application. The JB Weld SteelStik is better for strength and heat. There's also Mastercool Alumabond epoxy. Higher tensile strength and higher temp tolerance than the SteelStik epoxy. Don't remember where we got it from anymore but, we used to have some at work and I repaired a cast aluminum timing cover that was made from unobtainium and the Alumabond epoxy saved it. Kind of neat too, Mastercool's U.S. Headquarters address is One Aspen Drive. Like it was meant to be, lol.
ALUM BOND - My Website

shadango

Reaction score
The regular JB Weld (type that's been around since the beginning of time) wouldn't work very well in that application. The JB Weld SteelStik is better for strength and heat. There's also Mastercool Alumabond epoxy. Higher tensile strength and higher temp tolerance than the SteelStik epoxy. Don't remember where we got it from anymore but, we used to have some at work and I repaired a cast aluminum timing cover that was made from unobtainium and the Alumabond epoxy saved it. Kind of neat too, Mastercool's U.S. Headquarters address is One Aspen Drive. Like it was meant to be, lol.
ALUM BOND - My Website
So what would be the consequences of a piece of that alumabond stuff , should it fail, getting into the carb/manifold?

Given the design of the intake it wouldnt drop right in.....but it could eventually work its way into a combustion chamber.....

Think it would cause damage?

69-

Reaction score
That would be my main concern -something hard getting to the valves.
2bbl carbs should be available, I would replace the carb.

shadango

Reaction score
That would be my main concern -something hard getting to the valves.
2bbl carbs should be available, I would replace the carb.
We do have a second 2bbl that wasnt running right....I guess we could tear apart the current one and replace just the top section.....

I dont recall what all that involves though......and not sure why the second one was running bad.....would hate to sap bad parts over to the current one....

A new one would be fine...not too much money involved...but i recall folks saying that recent remans available commercially were junk. Not sure who to trust.

I reached out to carbsonly.com...the folks who designed and sells the improved choke setup...to see what they have.

What stinks is that he had just got the thing running the way he liked...LOL

shadango

Reaction score
Ended up swapping the top over .....son did a great job....wasn't intimidated at all.....

No issues other than he found , after pulling the top off, that the accelerator pump was AGAIN deformed/folded over on itself.....this is like the 3rd or 4th time he has encountered this.

Last couple times he used krokus cloth to smooth the bore and used vaseline and STILL had issues......

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the fuel you use has ethanol in it, it can cause the pump plunger to swell, and then roll over on itself. There are ethanol resistant plungers for some carbs, unsure if they are for your carb though. You'd have to check. The other option is use ethanol free gas, either 87 octane (if available in your area) or 91 octane which is ethanol free. Should say, in this area 91 is ethanol free anyways, and quite a few stations also have ethanol free 87. Of course it costs about 20 cents more than regular 87 which "may contain up to 10% ethanol" but on a carbureted car, is worth the extra cost to have fewer fuel system problems (JMO)

shadango

Reaction score
If the fuel you use has ethanol in it, it can cause the pump plunger to swell, and then roll over on itself. There are ethanol resistant plungers for some carbs, unsure if they are for your carb though. You'd have to check. The other option is use ethanol free gas, either 87 octane (if available in your area) or 91 octane which is ethanol free. Should say, in this area 91 is ethanol free anyways, and quite a few stations also have ethanol free 87. Of course it costs about 20 cents more than regular 87 which "may contain up to 10% ethanol" but on a carbureted car, is worth the extra cost to have fewer fuel system problems (JMO)
I was thinking the same thing.....problem is, around here, all fuel is 10% ethanol.... :(

He uses Stabil 360 but that hasnt seemed to help.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's too bad about the gasoline there. We are lucky here. As I mentioned, maybe you can find a pump plunger that's ethanol resistant.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I had good luck with quadrajetparts.com they do more than just qj's.

Last edited:

Mopars1

Reaction score
They should make a pump seal for the alcohol gasoline. Chrysler had a recall in the late seventies that replaced the pump seals in all 1 bbl, 2 bbl, and thermoquad carburetors. I would be surprised if the seals you are getting aren't made for the alcohol because in most places that is all you can get. Is it possible that the pump is misadjusted too high and is catching on a part of the bore. I do remember that a few carbs had ridges in the bore that would ruin the seal. The alcohol would swell the old style pump seals somewhere in the 7-10% range and that is why they had the recall.

Back