Budget-Savvy, Or Just Plain Ghetto?

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
I'm talking about... chrome tape. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006RNW5NE#Ask
Certain parts of my grille are peeling... it almost looks like they used this stuff at the factory. The adjoining headlight/signal bezels are great, it's just the grille.

Rechroming is the obvious answer, but it's expensive to the point of being prohibitive at this point.

Paint is an option, but I would also have to paint over (some) of the good pieces for it to look right. I've done an entire car's trim in argent before and it looked VERY cool... for about a year. I prepped it like a mofo and the paint actually stuck, it just faded and wore-off. I'm not big on the "murdered-out" all black look, some contrast is desirable on these cars, imo.

I'm thinking that this or a similar product might get me by until I can find/afford a good grill. If it's good enough it could be permanant.

I know there are other products out there, the one I linked is just metallized vinyl but there are chrome foil products for hobbyists that I've heard of but don't know about their durability in an automotive application. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What year and make do you have?

Pealing chrome – on plastic or on bumpers – and cut you without thinking twice (especially metal chrome)! So be careful!
The tape you found might work – but $30 (US) for 50’ seams high, to me.

I have not had any luck with chrome paint (plastic or metal taillights). But, chrome paint don’t look like bare plastic – but looks nothing like it should, either (paint wise – to my experience).

Plastic can be re-chromed and people with older cars get it done all the time – but no first-hand experience there, either.

Some kinds of plastic needs additives added to paint in order to stick to plastic.

I have no good recommendations – but eager to hear what others say (I might learn a thing or two).
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
I used the pen markers on my rear taillights and it doesn't last.
Looks good from 20 feet away for about 6 months, then the sun kills it.
JW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering if thin chrome pinstripping (or tape) might work good for taillights . . .

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I think this is a good idea, particularly for the '78/'79 Aspen grilles. The tape could be used easily to "rechrome" the horizontal bars - if they haven't already disintegrated and fallen off. Maybe it might even help hold them together! Lol. Seriously, when the heck is somebody going to start making repro grilles for us?? I saw in Hemmings that somebody is making repo grilles for the '71/'72 Chevelles, so COME ON ALREADY!!!

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
What year and make do you have?
79 Lebaron. I'm thinking about painting the fins black or dark argent and leaving the main ribs (vertical and horizontal) chrome.
I saw a good 78 grill on ebay a while back but had to pass... I thought the price was right (about $125 iirc) but money's a little tight right now and I still have an engine at the machine shop... can't wait to see that bill.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I picked up a very nice ‘86 Fifth Ave grill, un-pitted front market light chrome (the pieces that sit on top of the heater panel) and all of the other parts that attach to the header panel (which is in so much better condition than my originals are in) – but I don’t think these parts will fit on yours (not without changing the entire header).

There is a M-body that has a chrome (or chrome appearing) woven screen mesh for a grill – which I’d love to get my hands on one. Just can’t remember what year or model it came on.
BudW

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
There is a M-body that has a chrome (or chrome appearing) woven screen mesh for a gril
I haven't seen one of those yet... but for the grill in my Cordoba I used the same stuff. I removed the chrome surround and bought a half-wrecked grill from a big-truck dismantler (came offa Kenworth) to get enough material. Stainless woven metal... I cut it to fit, put the correct center-crease in it, and welded mounting tabs to it. Very Mad Max-ish, but also came out very pro "speed grill" looking since I was able to custom-build the tabs to set it flush, bend the edges 90° so it didn't look "hacked"... came out very nice. It was always one of the first details people noticed about that car and a LOT of people asked me where I bought it.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the first grill I made. This one isn't the stainless steel wire mesh but plain ol' expanded metal, like you see used on homemade 55 gal drum barbecues and prison bus windows...
S5300015a.jpg
it became sort of a template for the final version.
Amazingly, I was muckin' aboot at FBBO today and came across a 3 or 4 yr old post I'd made w a link to my Photobucket acct... and it still WORKED! That's where I found that picture.
This one, too...
100_2419-1.jpg

Eeeewww...
Notice I crushed my buddy's skate under the LF tire... oops.

Back