Carbs Holley verse Edelbrock

slant6billy

Reaction score
Pros and Cons Friends.
From what I know and very little at that.
More info on the Holley and more folks all around know how to tune them. Parts are interchangeable.

The Edelbrock is using the old Carter footprint and almost looks like it too. Some improvements over the Holley or Carter, but limited knowlegeable people out there?

What else? Anyone got some good facts. I'm running a spent Holley now, but there is a slightly use Edelbrock 600 cfm that may be a perfect deal $$$$$. How does the Edelbrock connect to the trans cable- is it like the factory hookup?

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
Don't know if I can give you facts or not. I have an edelbrock carb on my 360 that is in my p/u. I get about 12 mpg with it right now but it has been very dependable. It is a little cold blooded in the mornings. It is hooked up to my kickdown linkage stock set-up. It is a 600-650 cfm. I know they are very easy to tune and get better mileage than mine but still have the performance. I have run holley's, but I think IMO I would take a edelbrock over a holley. I'm very happy with mine. Hopefully someone can give you more specs/info then I can.

Erics5th

Reaction score
For an Edelbrock to work on a Mopar, you'll need a throttle adapter (part # 1481) so the linkage will be in the correct spot. I have a 1406 on my 318. Its been a good, reliable carb for me. I'm not a huge fan of mechanical secondarys, prefering vacuum secondarys (Holley) for heavy cars. Vacuum just seems smoother, and only opens when the engine really needs the extra air/fuel mix.

ramenth

Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's limited knowledge on the Edelbrocks. Just takes an old school mind to know what to do with them. The Performer Series is modeled after the old AFB and the Thunder Series is modeled after the AVS. What makes the Carters (Edelbrocks) appealing to me is that they are very streetable and the tuning is easy. A lot of folks just get baffled by the secondary air door, but that's one of the benefits to these carbs.

There's a nice write up in the latest issue of Mopar Action that covers some to the tuning tricks with Carters (Edelbrocks) that's a pretty good read for the basics and how-to's if you've never really touched 'em and a good refresher if you haven't touched on in a while.

There's a downside to 'em, though, and I'm speaking from experience on this one: make sure your intake is compatible with 'em. Stock isn't an issue; neither, of course, are Edelbrock's intakes, but I have an Offenhauser here that absolutely refuses to run with an Edelbrock/Carter. It demands a Holley.

Holleys can be tempermental for the street. Good filters are a must. One small piece of debris can leave you on the side of the road, taking the carb apart. Some of the older ones, if buying used, have no power valve blow out protection.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Good point on manifold picks Robert. I should have mentioned I use a Performer with my 1406. I have also learned and read that 1406's are set up lean out of the box. Some tuning is needed depending on elevation. I know, I went from sea level to 3200ft above sea level when I moved here to Texas.

9secRR

Reaction score
For performce wise, the Holley is very tough to beat. When my R/T was stock (many years ago), I had a edelbrock 750. It ran 14.8. The next weekend it put on a Holley 750. Went 14.2.

I have always run holleys and can't imagine running without one. I have run my tunnel ram for 4 years with 2-650 holleys and never any problems.

I had 2-850 holleys on my 6-71 blown 69 Charger with no problems.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks Friends. I'm going to try this Performer for a while. I'll keep an eye out for a holley as well. The rtv silicone and duct tape is coming apart on my current holley, so I am on borrowed time.

Back