Chain tensioner

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So I just bought a mp timing chain tensioner off of eBay. It's replacing the thrust plate for the cam. Has anyone used one on their bulids? If so is it worth putting on or just a waste of time?

volare 77

Reaction score
I bought one and never used it as I heard they don`t hold up well with a double roller chain.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Hmm.. I wonder why? I'm guessing just going with a standard timing chain it'll work better. I've also noticed that the chain wears grooves into the tensioner arm after awhile, but I read that it's normal for that? Idk

volare 77

Reaction score
Thats what I heard. The double roller chain wears the tensioner pad away quickly. Maybe someone on here that has actually used one and can report in whether they had a issue with them or not. Dunno, I didn`t want to take the chance. I remember seeing some pics of them falling apart too.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I put one on my '96 Dakota 3.9L. They are known for timing chain rattle at idle and mine did it for the 120,000 miles I've owned it. Decided it was time to replace the chain and added the tensioner. Problem solved, zero noise. Standard chain btw. Chrysler started putting the tensioner on 3.9L in 1997. Must be the odd firing pulses of a 90 degree V-6 that make the chains rattle. The 5.2 and 5.9 didn't have that problem and the 3.9L is basically a 5.2 with 2 cylinders lopped off.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So after reading the post off that fourm, it seems everyone either likes it or doesn't. If you go with a standard timing set then it works well, but some say just to go with a good quality double roller and call it a day. The only thing that bugs me about the part is those nylon arms. Or maybe I'm just over thinking the situation...

volare 77

Reaction score
Yea, kinda like one more thing to break. I wonder about the quality of the nylon on those. I had a dirt bike ( my kids) and the chain had a yellow nylon( ?) rub pad. I don`t know what it was made of but that thing took a beating with dirt, etc and it hardly wore at all.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I installed one in my 367 double roller chain engine.......in 1999. It's still in there.That was 100,000 plus hard miles ago.(stick-car)
I tore the engine apart 5 winters in a row for inspection, and the tensioner was doing fine.
I put one on my teener too, also with a double roller chain, and that was year 2000. That one has about 50,000 miles on it now.
The nylon parts didn't scare me; most 4-stroke motorcycles have similar systems.
I had my engine "line-honed", but they weren't very good at it, so I had to do something,lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I won’t install a small block timing chain, without one.
I just wish they had something for the big blocks to use . . .

When an engine is running, there is only play on one side of the timing chain (one side will be tight (no slack) and other side is loose) – most of the time.

If you ever set ignition timing on a car with a loose timing chain, it can be very fun because of that timing chain slack. Especially when engine changes RPM’s slightly because of the timing chain slack – the timing light is all over the place.

Personally, I do not see anything negative about installing one.

Also, on most engines that already have a worn timing chain, the cam plate (the part the tensioner is part of) is also worn which allows for camshaft walk (fore/aft) – which also effects ignition timing – so in many cases, you need a cam plate, anyway.
BudW

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
A good trimming chain, say Cloyds True Roller and a cam button is all you need in a big block. On a new chain I install cam 2 degrees advanced to allow for some chain stretch.

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
I've read many accounts of V8 Magnums running OEM timing sets with over 200K miles on them, but the OEM chains are smooth and slide over the tensioner easily. I initially was going to use one, but as has been mentioned, that nylon would get chewed to pieces by a double roller.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Been running one in my 360 motor for about 5 seasons now...zipping up to 6500 shift point...no problem, no chain rattle, ignition timing is very steady.

CM360

Reaction score
Looking through some cam parts, I found a gear drive for a SB. Had one on a hemi but never a SB. Might be the solution.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
IMG_1552.JPG

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
A gear drive would be the best solution...but very few choices in the SBM product line-up, and most are very expensive, at least the ones I've looked at were.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience on gear driven camshafts (yet). I’ve worked on a few small blocks and have seen some that looked extremely dry in the timing chain area (which was what I was replacing to begin with). The reason for looking dry was never looked into (wasn’t getting paid to do that . . .).
That said, most small blocks that I’ve been into, the area/parts was wet – so not sure if some people kept the engine oil level low (accidently or on purpose) or what was going on.

The reason I bring it up, is there is a number of additional bearings involved with a gear drive setup – and a lack of sufficient lubrication could spell disaster on some engines.

Having the police style engine oil cooler (which sprays the return oil onto the timing chain) – might be a key to longtivity (spelling?).

Granted – I don’t build engines to race with, so racers might not have any problems. I’m more thinking of people who drive cars 100K+ miles or more between rebuilds.
BudW

Back