Cleaning Cloth Seats

old tired rebel

Reaction score
Well I went to the local Pull A Part today to look for some seats for my late B Body. I wanted to ask what everyone used to clean cloth seats before dying them. Don't get upset but the only seats in good shape were out of a 1997 T-Bird which are Grey and would like to dye them white. Suggestions?

AdamR

Reaction score
I would try filling a spray bottle with half water and half alcohol.

ramenth

Reaction score
I would try filling a spray bottle with half water and half alcohol.

Why the alcohol, Adam?

To get rid of any detergents or residue left by previous cleanings? Or is just a better cleaner for cloth, than say a good steam cleaning?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Why the alcohol, Adam?

To get rid of any detergents or residue left by previous cleanings? Or is just a better cleaner for cloth, than say a good steam cleaning?
What about SEM's prep spray...since you are going to dye them anyway

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I will try that after scrubbing them real good.

I want to dye them white so I guess it needs to be spot free?
I don't think they need to be spot free..but grease and such a big yes to that...I would steam clean them...let set out in the hot hot sun for a couple of days and then start with SEM's prep stuff then dye them white...they have two whites and I think the super white is what you need..

old tired rebel

Reaction score
I don't think they need to be spot free..but grease and such a big yes to that...I would steam clean them...let set out in the hot hot sun for a couple of days and then start with SEM's prep stuff then dye them white...they have two whites and I think the super white is what you need..

Thanks for helping on the White. I don't have a steam cleaner. I was going to scrub well and let dry in the house for a couple of weeks.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Most times I use upholstery cleaner, some "Super Clean" diluted down to about 25%-50% strength(depends on how shag nasty), and a fairly firm brush. May have to do it 2-3 times if really bad, but I've had good results this way for years.

Reaction score
cleaning seats

I've reconditioned a lot of cars. I've used the "pink stuff" that the dealers use but it is caustic. I then found "SIMPLE GREEN" and it is awesome. I dilute it 50/50 for general cleaning and use it undiluted on tough dirt and stains. It doesn't leave any residue behind afterward. I would spray it on and use a nylon bristle brush. This works good on carpet too.

Back