Clip for A/T shifter linkage/bar ?

shadango

Reaction score
So as a way to try and forget about my oil leak and first fire issues for now, I am gonna ask about something that I am hoping is a no brainer.....so I can feel like I am accomplishing SOMETHING. LOL

There is a metal shaft that runs side to side on the car, under the hood.....between trans and frame...and connects to the linkage from the column shifter. It rotates when you work the column shift. basically a Z bar, for the A/T/

I seem to be missing the clip that secures that cross shaft into the frame side brace.....the shaft has a divot in it as though its a clip of some type. But I have no idea what it should look like...or where to get it.

Any ideas? 1980 Volare two door, A/T, slant 6.

Thanks folks

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
There should be a washer and a small hairpin type clip. Kind of like a really small hood pin clip.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The pictures are from my '79 parts book - but should be the same.
79 AT linkage Pic.JPG

79 AT linkage PN.JPG

It is part number 9 in picture (not a very good picture) and is a normal hair-pin clip (not sure what the official name is).

The Dodge part number is 148150 and official part nomenclature is “3/8x3/16x11/32”.
I guess the term “clip” or “retainer” is optional (me shrugs).
The retail price (MSRP) is a whopping $0.10 (US)

It might cost more to get one at a hardware store - but I would go to a hardware store to get it and the washer. I doubt the dealer will sell you one for less than $3.00 – just because they can.

This part looks like a “B” with another “R” on its end, if stood on its end.

The washer is just a plain flat washer.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you've got a big Ace Hardware, they should have them.
The one here has 2 long aisles of nothing but fasteners, includung nuts, bolts, clips, screws, cage nuts, threaded inserts, etc, etc, etc, in about any material, grade and finish you want in any head style (hex, allen, Torx, triple square..................)you want. That includes a million different hairpin clips.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a “BSOB” store a couple of blocks from my house - but I prefer to go to a “small” Ace hardware store about 1.5 miles away.

Even being small, Ace will generally have what I want and can actually touch it and/or bring in old item to make sure the new fastener will work.

Note: in the woodworking community around here, they refer to “BSOB” as the Big Square Orange Box, more commonly known as Home Depot.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can get lost in the Ace store here but,,,,,,,,,,they have EVERYTHING in that place along with enough staff to assist if you do get lost. There used to be a small hardware store a couple miles from home, a classic old style type one. Kind of a so called 'Mom and Pop" store. They had way more things than you'd think for the size and very nice people. It was always busy. They retired and the new owner "updated" and "modernized" which totally ruined it. Within a year, it was out of business. It just lost the "feel" if you know what I mean.
Sorry for straying off topic. It won't happen again (yeah right!).

Back