Condenser Replacement - 87 Fifth Avenue

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one with A/C that needs repaired. We've been replacing compressors, condensors. and the occasional evaporator (unfortunately because most of those SUCK, lol) on a daily basis the past couple weeks at work.

Mr C

Reaction score
Well that would make sense. Its now on my list to fix, so I'll make sure it gets done and back on.

You're lucky yours isn't missing chunks out of it...every M body I've seen has pieces missing from them, it seems.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Life is quirky.
Now that I've sold my fiberglass business and no longer have the chop gun or materials, there are dozens of small items I find that need to be made. Just not enough demand to offset the costs of the molds.
One day, 3d printing will be a very viable option. At least, thats the plan.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
very M body I've seen has pieces missing from them, it seems.
I bought a nice used one off of an ’86 5th Ave a few months back. I was thinking about altering it (while leaving my original one alone) to get more cooling system air flow, for my big block changeover.

There may be another one at the pull-a-part.
If I can sneak out of the house tomorrow, I will find out.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW-
I'm thinking about trying to rehab my old one. There was no leak in it until I cross threaded the bolt at the top. Lost of smushed fins on the bottom.
Besides, I need another project so my list will be as long as yours.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Condenser. But I'm also going to fix the air dam. I've had little rest this week. Reading back over this it looks like I wasn't keeping up with my own conversation. Sorry. Just had a rough week.

Master M

Reaction score
I have done a few front seals on a/c compressors with good results. But I knew the compressors had a low amount of use on them. You could contact an a/c repair shop and they may sell you the parts, or do the work for less than a new compressor. There is no assurance that a reman compressor will not leak, but should have a warranty.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Compressor is ordered and on the way. I'm keeping the old one and practice putting in the front seal.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Woo hoo - UPS says the compressor is out for delivery today. Here's hoping when I get back from today's doctor visit that I can get that puppy in.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
That would be very cool. ooohhh, bad A/C humor; did I really go there?;)

Aspen500

Reaction score
That would be very cool. ooohhh, bad A/C humor; did I really go there?;)

pun.jpg

Back