Creative industries decal

79lilred

Reaction score
I've used Hamtramck Library as a good source of generalized information for years thanks to another member sharing. But it's terribly lacking in specialized information about this later era of it's coverage. Especially in regards to details it does otherwise cover. Such as the black and white, and gold '77 A66 stripes which I must assume were a spring special. There's no information on when the color charts were opened to the A66 option either, although the earliest car I've recorded was built Jan 28. A white Roadrunner with the K6R upper stripe set that's under restoration in TN. I've found two wrong color Dodges built on 318 day, but none earlier. The Plymouth and both Dodges I currently own are May and June built cars. I'm happy to have the updated trunk floor in them. But as always I am dealing with surviving examples to expand my knowledge, with no access to internal memo's, prints, or 'to dealer' literature or memo's. So while I do my best, I'm really on the shortest stick as it were in hoping to learn. My desire to learn or maybe just my attempts to be useful while having a dry sarcasm, or maybe simply passing along 'official information' I've encountered which is like above mentioned, not entirely correct, has rubbed a few the wrong way over the years. But I just try to do my best and always welcome correction from better learned people so I become better and others benefit too. Often a phone conversation leads me to more information than I'd ever expected was out there today. Thanks to people who learned the in's and out's in time before such information became otherwise lost. Today we have a new generation getting into these budget friendly cars, and they've little to guide them while they share their experiences and questions on a platform that summarily deletes them in short time. I'm only about as much help as I can be, and usually referring them to learn from more studied sources I've been fortunate enough to encounter myself. I've long seen your informative or helpful posts. But never realized the depth of your knowledge and the value you have to pass along to that generation who will someday hopefully keep our passion alive if time were on your side to chronicle it, until just today. So I really hope that you do begin doing some uploads of the files you've saved. I don't wish to be out of line, but while my own site is admittedly of little value today, as it has been since before my purchase, I would welcome cross posting, if you do upload, since I've no intention to ever let the previous tragedy occur again so long as I live. And as I said before, I've also hope to invest the money required for professional revamp and restoration of that site too. It may not generate traffic like here, but if it does nothing other than provide the full archives it once held again I will be satisfied in having done my part to maintain this part of history.

If you have another interesting informational site, I would enjoy reading through their archives as well.

79lilred

Reaction score
Sorry about that Rattle Trap, I got mixed up with the earlier cars about the conversion and said it was Creative, thanks for setting it straight about Cars and Concepts doing the F bodies, I remember my decal looking just like that and never took a pic of it when it was visible years ago. Thanks again.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
They used more then one door sticker ir seems. Bigger and laminated.

CC.jpg

79lilred

Reaction score
Mine wasn't laminated as it's faded to all white, about the size of a business card. Doesn't seem like anyone reproduces it? I have emailed Phoenix graphics several times to see what their tech info decal kit consists of and still haven't got an answer, not sure where else to ask what exactly the tech kit consists of?? is this typical of Phoenix Graphics?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Im not sure myself on PG, I kinda doubt it from them but who knows.

It would not be hard to make a little run of them.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Sorry to sorta have two topics going here.

Rattle, what do you mean by this? Spring special?

Such as the black and white, and gold '77 A66 stripes which I must assume were a spring special.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I'm happy to see people here dont become confused, and remain capable of maintaining conversation of multiple associated topics simultaneously.
To the '77 A66 stripes, they are associated with the color chart having opened beyond Black Dodges and Orange Plymouths. They do not appear in as PM's in a parts book as updated as late as, April 1977. The earliest book I have found them listed in dates to Sept. 77, indicating the end of model year. I now have a '77 book date Jan. '78. But in working from only the probable information gathered from existing vehicles it seems they are 2nd half of 77 manufacture in wrong colors, while I am completely unsure of any Dodges having been built before 03-18-77. One of those Dodges is a gold stripe car, the other a black and white. There do additionally seem to be a large number black Plymouths, all with the typical K6V upper stripe set, but few of which I've been able to document a build date for. And of course we must always be mindful of the B5 car throwing any rules out the window in regards to Plymouths. But again, all I have to learn from is what I've been able to find exists regardless of official documents saying it didn't, and without any which have indicated they could.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
The SP cars came out just like the 77 mod year did, and even a few late 76 vins as well.

Here is a simple example of a Aug. 76 SP car. Normally a 2-5 day diff from the tag SPD and Door Data Date of course with the exception of the specialty 78 cars.

X1.jpg

X2.jpg

Last edited:

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
OK, I'm sorry, I guess I did lose you by getting too much going into it at once, in addition to straying completely off topic of OP. I hope this isn't seen as a highjack, since we've each shown the correct door jamb stickers for a SC previously in this thread.

I'm aware the A66 package originally debuted in Mar. 76. I have a pair of 'typical' 76 Dodge A66's Black with red/orange K7R stripe code.

I'm more referring to the "wrong color" Superpaks, which were made the following year, and also the NEW Superpak stripes which (only to my experience) seem to be mid or late year additions. The data book says, they could not be. Says they were not. I've seen no updated data book documenting the obvious, that they did get built other than as described in the data book.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1977/77_Aspen_0019.jpg
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1977/77-Volare_0020.jpg

Do you have updated documents to include?
Aspen A66 not required built in PX8 black metallic.
Volare A66 not required built in MV1 Spitfire Orange.
Availability of K7X and K7Y stripe sets, Aspen A66.
Availability of other than K6V set with Volare A66. Is this possible, or no?

These are the four items I've found are incorrect in the material I have access to.
I seem to recall DCAspen's Aspen A66 is one of the 3-18-77 builds. KY5 Blaze Yellow with K7X stripe. None of that could be possible with the documents I've ever seen. Excepting that these stripes appear in the very late parts book updates. But there Must be additional documents which made it possible.
My Volare A66 in KY5 could not have been made either, although it does have the typical stripe code K6V.
I'll include pic of that tag since it's actually mine to share.
I cannot explain it's existence but know it's must be documented somewhere.

11823689_10154133447660616_1419917580_n.jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Aspen R/T Superpak, EW1 Eggshell White, A57-A66 with K7Y stripe code.
Where is the possibility of any of this happening documented? Dealers had to have known it was possible. It had to have been known internally, or they'd have never gone down the line like that....

20141112_181319.jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
And to make amends if continuing this conversation beyond it's seemingly original resolution is impolite, here's another C&C sticker from a Super Coupe.

11144812_957831697583935_1678343025_o.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Most your answers lay in three places, the motor town docs and the approval docs/prints from within chrysler and marketing bullitons/fast fact sheets. After the introductory time period the TX9 and MV1. They needed two cars to showcase, one black one orange. Just like all early demon ads and brochures they were all in RED. When the new ram line was introduced, everywhere you looked you saw the now ram line in red, but you could get others easily.

The A66 colors approved on 4/29/76 were the pnes I posted the pic of in the stripe post, Marketing pushed the Black and Orange. Marketing, and more marketing. As the 77 year progressed some of the A57 colors migrated to the A66 cars. Just like today look at marketing bullitons, release what will sell, dont provide other options at that time. Then when thats mellowed out release something different of the same and sell more. If each progressive year or during that model year if you offered a lesser car or decreased options how would the cars sell? They would not, the only thing the could change is color and strip options. No improvement nearly of any type other then color or stripe options.

You ask "Where is the possibility of any of this happening documented" the documentation your looking for, the most substantial proof is right there in your pic of the fender tag of a built car. The tag and the #matching car is the primary documentation for most any mopar. Going up the ladder to the BS where although semi rare the A66 B sheets match the tag. Thats documentation. But there are docs that go further that most dont even care about because in the big picture they dont matter to 99.9%.

I dont think there were any wrong color SP cars,

Do you have updated documents to include?
Aspen A66 not required built in PX8 black metallic. Yes, Its posted in the stripe post, marketing dictated when colors could be used.
Volare A66 not required built in MV1 Spitfire Orange. Yes
Availability of K7X and K7Y stripe sets, Aspen A66. Yes,K7X had approval with the red and orange and gold (same time) Have to dig on the K7Y.
Availability of other than K6V set with Volare A66. Is this possible, or no? Thinking.

I dont know dick in the big picture but with all the right info in one place if correct info, people can collectively connect the dots.

The aspen you refered to is a 3/20 car but there were loads of A57/A66 cars built in March 77 early and late. Ive a couple that were probably really close to each other physically.

Notice the really late SPD and vin on the RR tag.

1.JPG

2.jpg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Only to get off topic slightly (and hopefully briefly). It appears your dual fender tags are screwed onto fender at an angle to each.
How much data was covered up by attaching them at such an angle?

Most of the ones I’ve noticed were either (mostly) straight across or at a small angle (15 deg, more or less). I don’t remember seeing the second tag cover up ~half the data like that before.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
People do odd things with tags, that one you asked about was repainted, ect... so god only know.

Some two tag cars ive seen have one screw, some three.

Like here, the same car, pics maybe 10 years apart and I think changed hands.

Obviously the bottom is as it was, upper pic, messed with and time has faded things a bit.

201807102031-GCCORD1210-101.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
But also remember a 76 car will have at time the ign. box slapped over it and like one member here I feared his FT was toast as it melted on the tag but it reall protected it and cleaned it, then you know the Cruise Servo? is a problem maker for FT placement.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Then there's the late 79's and some 80's that occasionally ended up on top of the cowl like a Mexican unit. Lot's of strangeness.

I actually spun the white car 2nd tag around to get all the info in one readable pic with the junk camera I had at the time. Then I put it back. I haven't seen an unmolested car with a tag spin more the 15-20 degrees either. But the tags were in place before paint, so placement wasn't an issue, even if line workers were later down the build. Shame the tags weren't coated with anything. So many of them simply rotted off here in the rust belt by the time they were 10yrs old.

Back