Curious sets of dots on car

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Is your car an ex cop car?
Nope. Not unless some department wanted a civilian model. I don't think the dots would show if the paint hadn't been cooked off in the desert.

I know this is an esoteric topic, but I'm genuinely curious as to what caused the dots.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Who knows, the panels look like they’ve been sprayed with an aerosol can, so who knows what’s underneath. I don’t understand why it even matters. It should all be removed and repainted.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Who knows, the panels look like they’ve been sprayed with an aerosol can, so who knows what’s underneath. I don’t understand why it even matters. It should all be removed and repainted.
Thank you captain obvious

Justwondering

Reaction score
Totally irrelevant ...
I inherited my dad's old chevy truck.
Across the inside tailgate there are a series of divots - almost but not quite evenly distributed.
All about the same size and almost but not quite lined up.
And they are 'under' the factory paint job.

I figured it was a screw up somewhere.
Nope. Took me 7 years to be in the right place at the right time after my dad died.

One of his fishing buddies was taking delivery of some garage leftovers we thought he might want that dad used to have. I was the delivery person.

Lowered the tailgate and the guy runs his hands over the divots, gets a big grin and says... yep ... That's your dad's truck.

I'll bite. How do you know? He points to the divots. Says, your dad did that. I asked... what the heck was he doing and how did he do it? Guy just starts laughing and says '' if he didn't come clean about it, I'm not spilling the beans ''.

I will never know what caused it or how they got there. But it does make me think of dad when I see something like that....

Those on your car are just a bit bigger than those on the tailgate, but has that same tantilizing...wonder ... associated with it.

Just think of my dad when you look at them.
I'm sure he is looking over from purgatory and still laughing about it.

JW

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Totally irrelevant ...
I inherited my dad's old chevy truck.
Across the inside tailgate there are a series of divots - almost but not quite evenly distributed.
All about the same size and almost but not quite lined up.
And they are 'under' the factory paint job.

I figured it was a screw up somewhere.
Nope. Took me 7 years to be in the right place at the right time after my dad died.

One of his fishing buddies was taking delivery of some garage leftovers we thought he might want that dad used to have. I was the delivery person.

Lowered the tailgate and the guy runs his hands over the divots, gets a big grin and says... yep ... That's your dad's truck.

I'll bite. How do you know? He points to the divots. Says, your dad did that. I asked... what the heck was he doing and how did he do it? Guy just starts laughing and says '' if he didn't come clean about it, I'm not spilling the beans ''.

I will never know what caused it or how they got there. But it does make me think of dad when I see something like that....

Those on your car are just a bit bigger than those on the tailgate, but has that same tantilizing...wonder ... associated with it.

Just think of my dad when you look at them.
I'm sure he is looking over from purgatory and still laughing about it.

JW
It's one of those interesting/curious things. I'm sure if these cars were popular, then frigging Mark Worman would have a 10 minute explanation about what they were and how to recreate them.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
He'll probably say he's never seen them, I still never have. But I'm still curious to what made them on yours.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
He'll probably say he's never seen them, I still never have. But I'm still curious to what made them on yours.
Well, if I see late 80s one pop up in a junkyard I'm definitely taking the driver side fender and chemically removing the paint as an experiment to see what's there. That would answer whether this is factory issue or a collision repair. Although I don't know why someone would have wasted time putting new quarters on this thing.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've seen stripped fenders from my 88 and nothing was there.
I'm probably not as curious as you are about it since it's not my car but you do have me curious enough.
My guess is that it's from dent repairs of some sort because if it was somewhat normal more people would have had it so it would have come up before before now and factory wouldn't have done such a bad job fixing it.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Good catch! I didn't notice. This car is St. Louis No. 2. I just assumed that because my car has the W all 87s were Kenosha.

I have an April of 87 date of manufacture. I wonder when the switch occurred exactly
I think it was part way though the model year, both my '87s were built July of '87 so were also Kenosha built cars (built very late in the model year) Neither of them had any of those dots your's has, and both of them had also faded paint so it would've shown

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Alright, so I'll lean towards it was wrecked when new and some joker hung new quarters on it or something. The rear bumper is not original. It has "85 diplomat" in faded yellow junkyard style marker written on the back of it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So I was looking at Cordoba pictures and noticed the 'towing' mirrors on this car. Could your holes be related to that?
Figured it added holes, but these don't look like it would be yours due to the location -- yours are way farther apart.

JW
cordobapicture-jpg.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Funny you don't see towing mirrors anymore.
Most like those in the ad clamp on but someone could have screwed them on like they do on truck doors.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
So I was looking at Cordoba pictures and noticed the 'towing' mirrors on this car. Could your holes be related to that?
Figured it added holes, but these don't look like it would be yours due to the location -- yours are way farther apart.

JW
View attachment 52431
Good theory. Doesn't explain the ones on the rear quarters though.

Back