Custom build for Led tail lights

brotherGood

Reaction score
I remember back when he got his first red fury back on farleys. Hes helped me quite a bit, we've got similar combos in our cars already. If I ever head his direction, it is a plan to stop by

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometime soon, I will pick up a sequential taillight kit to install and take a few pictures along the way.
CORRECTION, I looked, and my M-body has 2-bulb tail/brake/turn signals – so I will need to employ more thought into this. It might be easier to retrofit to LED’s.

At least I have a spare set of tail lamps to play with.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is there a blank spot in your tail lamp housings where there could be a bulb but is instead only a red lens? My Aspen had the blank spot where the '78's had amber signals. I took a pair of broken lights from the '78 parts car I had and cut off the "hood" (socket protector). Then drilled and filed a hole in the '79 housings for a socket and the grounding ring, and glued the "hoods" on so it looks totally stock. Not sure of the top of my head but I think I may have used 1004 (?) bulbs in single terminal sockets. That way they're the same brightness as the tail lamp filament of the outer 1157's. The inner ones are taillight only (no signal or brake).
DSCF0009.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can remember, F-bodies are the only vehicle Chrysler made with the odd taillights (ie: reflector where a bulb could go).

‘69 Imperials also had sequential taillights. I never worked on one but do know they were electronic.
A friend with an older Cougar(?) that had an electric motor that operated the taillights. I remember he had a screwdriver in his trunk to tap on it every so often to get them working again.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Waaaaaaaaaay back in the mid '80's, I had to fix the signals on a '68 Cougar. The mechanical motor/contact thing was totally junk with no hope of coming back due to a "ventilated" trunk floor and parts at the time were made of unobtanium. It was way pre-internet and repop parts for Cougars and, any scrapped Cougar's that would have had a POSSIBLY good unit were long gone from the salvage yards already. So,,,,,,,,,,,,I wired it up so the brake lights were the center and inner bulbs and the outers were signals. Had to wire in 4 separate flashers. Two for the rear and two for the front. Could have gotten by with one flasher per side with a bunch of extra wire. A flasher for each light was easier and quicker. What do you know, it actually worked:eek:

On my Aspen, the blank isn't a reflector, it was just a lens and reflector with no provision for a bulb. The reflectors are in the far outer ends of the lenses. Always bugged me. Thought it made it look like there was a burned out bulb on each side. When they eliminated the amber signals, they used the same reflector housings except the former signal spot is molded shut, more or less.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Amazing what 40 years of technology can do. Went from a big mechanical unit like the pic in 1968 to something you can hardly see in 2008, to do the same thing!
1518573242_c.jpg
DSC00401.JPG

Back