Dash conversion

greymouser7

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to convert my Aspen/volare dash (gutted rolling chassis/blank slate) over to a round gauged M/J Dash? in regards to wiring, etc.

Is the A/C module different between the two cars?

slant6billy

Reaction score
There was a an F body wagon with a 5th's dash at Carlisle this past year. I'm thinking that's kind of the cheap cheat. As for a coupe? I guess so? I've been eyeing a dashpad from an 83 fury in pristine shape for an F coupe.

alf44

Reaction score
was thinking the same thing, using the top and right side of a dash from a 5th in a volare since the top isnt seperate from the bottom as a f bodys dash. i got all the parts just need to dye it dark blue,, now gray

Bryan M.

Reaction score
After watching a friend try to put a Fury dash into a Volare RR, I know there's gonna be some rewiring at the round 8 (9?) point plug that goes into the M dash...nothing lined up right. Should be minimal work though.

My imp

Reaction score
Good luck with your endeavor. I'm going to sit down with the FSM & compare Imperial wiring to Mirada/Cordoba wiring. I know I'll need to save anything having to do with hidden headlights, & digital dash. But I want to get rid of the zip tie this, & plug this in instead. I will at this point combine what is needed to give me the cleanest underhood area, instead of looking like Mama Mia's Spaghetti House spilled my dinner in there! All that extra wiring can only lead to extra headaches! Here's an idea for you; seeing as all J body dashes fit in the same opening, why not put the digital dash out of an Imperial in there instead! If your upgrading, why stop at the middle floor? Take it to the penthouse, baby!

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Id say easiest way to go about this would be to pull the whole wire harness fron the bulkhead inside the car so that everything from the m dash will plug in

My imp

Reaction score
As long as nothing is shifted at the bulkhead from the factory. If I had an Imperial that had had the EFI done completely according to the recall, that would make my job a whole lot easier. But having one that was half-assed, I must resort to a more tedious path to insure my wiring harness doesn't go up in smoke. Better safe than sorry!

alf44

Reaction score
i think that one could just use the f body insterments, leaving the whole pod installed, and use the right side and top pad from a m body. my whole idea in this is my volare dash pad is junk ,i recovered it with a old seat cover, looks ok for now. looks to me that the 5th dash and top pad are 1 piece? if so ill change the top and right side using the good dash from a 5th. i dont wanna go through changing wiring !!!

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
from what I understand he wants the much better looking round M gauges in his F body

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I hate wireing with a passion, but I don't think a lil switcheroo would be too bad

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I'd be against the Imperial dash for the one reason I'm fighting: 85mph speedometer?! REALLY? And the other problem: If the car was hack-converted (see mine for example) the fuel gauge becomes useless. The ohm reading between a Mirada and Imperial tank is different enough that your fuel gauge becomes an on-off light: FULL until low level, then 14...and get to a gas station NOW.

My imp

Reaction score
I'd be against the Imperial dash for the one reason I'm fighting: 85mph speedometer?! REALLY? And the other problem: If the car was hack-converted (see mine for example) the fuel gauge becomes useless. The ohm reading between a Mirada and Imperial tank is different enough that your fuel gauge becomes an on-off light: FULL until low level, then 14...and get to a gas station NOW.
What are you talking about the 85 mph problem?

My imp

Reaction score
from what I understand he wants the much better looking round M gauges in his F body

IMHO there's nothing better looking than the digital dash with the genuine/imitation burled walnut plastic/chrome accented dash. I unfortunately threw away a mint interior from a Cordoba with the entire set of wood grained plastic. I would love to get all the pieces needed to convert my Imp over to the complete burled wood accents. I wood use the heat activated adhesive on true burled walnut on all the parts of the 'Doba interior before I installed in the Imp. The 1/4 glass is different, but no more difficult to laminate. I'm trying to build this car to a level of luxury not seen since the custom coach builders of the '30's & '40's in an American car (unless you count those GM based abortions known as Excaliburs & their ilk). Many may think it rediculous, but as the point has been beaten to death & then some; it's my car, & I'll build it to my specifications & satisfaction. Should you wish to go Imp, I have a couple spare dashes, & everything you'd need to make it work.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
The Imperial gauge cluster reads up to and only 85 mph in U.S. form, and up to 120 mph in world markets.

My imp

Reaction score
Not sure about mine, but I know I went faster than that in mine. Don't renenber what it went up to? When I take it out next time, I'll check. Are the numbers offset in the dash to allow for the third digit? I seem to remember doing over 90, but I don't know if I took it to 100. Interesting observation. I'm old, & the car's old. Usually I take a car up to 100 just to see if it'll do it. I don't know if I broke tradition or not. I simply don't remember. More than likely, the only time I'd break 100 in that thing is at the track. I'm not ready to take it to the track yet.

My imp

Reaction score
Not sure about mine, but I know I went faster than that in mine. Don't renenber what it went up to? When I take it out next time, I'll check. Are the numbers offset in the dash to allow for the third digit? I seem to remember doing over 90, but I don't know if I took it to 100. Interesting observation. I'm old, & the car's old. Usually I take a car up to 100 just to see if it'll do it. I don't know if I broke tradition or not. I simply don't remember. More than likely, the only time I'd break 100 in that thing is at the track. I'm not ready to take it to the track yet.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score

100mph in the 1320, what's your engine combo?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Mine maxes at 85mph, but the readout has three digits for the km/h conversion. I know I've gone well over 85...

Back