Dash conversion

My imp

Reaction score
Cool, you're there! All you need is the decal paper. They make it in clear & white. If you don't have any areas that are clear, use the white paper, as it makes the colors more vivid than the clear paper. If you want, I'll find out for you who makes the vinyl ones. If I can't find out, & no one else knows, you can either take them to a silk screen printer, or do it yourself. It isn't hard at all. If you have any questions about silk screening, I can post it here, or PM me.

NoCar340

Reaction score
That face took me hours to design. I had to scan the font in (I've since found it) as well as the scale since I've no idea how to divide a circle into the necessary degrees and widths thereof. I was going to have it screen-printed locally, but there was a minor disaster with the tach electronics involving a good friend, beer, and sleepwalking so the project kind of stalled after cutting up the first $120 AutoMeter tach. I wasn't going to do it again.

My imp

Reaction score
Still have the face to that tach? Does AutoMeter make the same model? If the answer is yes to both, it can be salvaged. The decal paper is the easiest (not the best) way to do it. From your layout, it appears the white paper would work better. Even if you don't like the font, or can't match it, you can layout all gauge faces on one or two 8 1/2" X 11" decal paper sheets. The hardest part is cutting out the decals. Any rough or mistakes in your cutting will be noticed. Beyond that, it's just like putting decals on a 1/24 scale Sox & Martin 'Cuda! Layout, print, clear, cut or install on gauge face, then cut, & install! Silk screening is similar, except there's no print button! A simple sheet of white vinyl can be screened with black vinyl ink. Then it's the same. Print, cut, & install. On your yellow to red redline, each color needs to be screened separately. That can be done with hand cut film. The remainder is done like developing film. Take to the screener in your town & have him shoot the film for you. You adhere it to the silk screen, which you can buy, or fab yourself. Doing it yourself will allow you to make the screens the size you want. This is something that's best done by finding a few friends that want the same thing done. That way you spread your costs out. Just black or white vinyl ink isn't that bad. But when you want colors, the costs add up fast, & you really won't use much ink on faces. Like T shirts? lol let me know.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I still have the tach face, but I no longer have a car to put it in (it was an M-body with the brushed face, so this was designed to match the speedometer--anything not black, a numeral, or a color would be backed by the brushed stainless. I already blew $120 on the tach I carved up to make this one. It got ruined by my friend and I'm not spending that again. So, I have only this design and a blank M-body brushed-stainless gauge face, with no reason to complete the project. I also have a down-swinging Mopar factory fuel gauge that was going to take up one of the idiot-light spots on the cluster. It would've matched perfectly.

My imp

Reaction score
I couldn't find anyone who did our dashes, only the more popular models. Unless someone else found anything, you're on your own. Someone else here's into printing professionally. I haven't done that since '77, so it's been a while. The only drawback to homemade decals is lack of UV protection. The ink will fade eventually.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I plan to take Mega's approach, with custom gauge faces. Those are easy to find, including AutoMeter's custom shop and others.

My imp

Reaction score
Okay, I couldn't resist it anymore. Took the Imp up to & beyond 85 MPH. Stopped at 85 MPH! Boo, hiss! So, does anyone know what part is needed to convert it to 120 MPH export specification? I can't imagine Chrysler made the conversion too difficult. A small module maybe? Or, do you know anyone who might know how to convert it? Thanks, Larry

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm trying to think what they may have done... Some kind of limiter on PPM? Could it be something as simple as a jumper?

My imp

Reaction score
Could be, didn't see anything in the text of the FSM. I'll go through the schematics themselves & see if I find the answer in there. Thanks, Larry. This should be an easy one, I hope so.

My imp

Reaction score
All I can find in the diagram is the G7 speed sensor circuit. Perhaps the speed sensor itself is the limiting factor. I'll see if anyone at the Online Imperial Club has dealt with this before. Thanks, Larry

My imp

Reaction score
Nope, they don't have anything either. If anyone has the micro fische for 1981 parts, perhaps that'll hold the key to it.

slantman

Reaction score
just finished my volare wagon dash conversion to m (fifth ave.) The physical parts are the easy. The electrical you will need to change the various feeds for the round plugs to power the M dash. I then added a volt and oil gauge to the round "empty" holes. Yes I know they are upside down, wanted the needles to swing to match the factory.
065.jpg

065.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
That looks good.

I really need to get working on my dash. Far from a factory look, but so won't the rest of the car..Lol

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looks Awesome,any more pics?did you use the f-body underdash harness or the M-body one?

slantman

Reaction score
Used the original F harness and cut/spliced the feed wires to match the M dash requirements for the round plugs.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Is there a tach in there? More pics please!

Greg

slantman

Reaction score
No tach, not worried about over revving a stock slant:laughing6:

Back