Detriming a Fifth Ave.

maverick@heart

Reaction score
I have a 1988 fifth avenue I want to remove all the trim and fiberglass cap. My plan is to get it to have the same trim as the diplomat. I know that many will not agree with my idea and I respect their opinion. However, because of many factors like weathered trim I envision this car as being clean of all the faux stainless steel trim, couch-like upholstery and vinyl cap.
I love the car and want to keep it for good since I paid a good penny for it but when trying to sell it, it does not have a market and people wanna steal it from me. I can not afford to give it away. So, I need to find people who have done this conversion and who would not mind sharing their experience. As far as originality, I do not care, I would rather have a car that looks great not being original than a beater looking great running car. Thanks in advance.

Justwondering

Reaction score
If your trim is in good shape, there are a few pieces I need.

As for changing out the rear window, I tried to put as many pictures out there of the process as I could. The area under the bonnet/fiberglass cap is butt-ugly. The donor car will take care of that.

Jeff Rankin's Fifth-lomat has walked this path before you.
jeff rankins fifthlomat.jpg

Here is part of what he had to say about the project:
Problems with the install were few, but it took A LOT more time than I thought to do the body work after the window was in. To remove the rotten old vinyl and trim took about 4 hours, 1/2 hour to install the new window and about 25 more hours of body work to fill about 30 .250" diameter holes (used for holding the 5A trim in place). Half of these holes are in the roof, so if you're planning on doing this swap, plan on removing the headliner to properly fill/weld these holes.

unquote

This is from : http://www.dippy.org/photo/nonstock/index.html

jeff rankins fifthlomat.jpg

maverick@heart

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. At least I see someone else has done it and looks great. I will save my trim and when I get it off I will let you know how many are left in good shape.

If your trim is in good shape, there are a few pieces I need.

As for changing out the rear window, I tried to put as many pictures out there of the process as I could. The area under the bonnet/fiberglass cap is butt-ugly. The donor car will take care of that.

Jeff Rankin's Fifth-lomat has walked this path before you.
View attachment 11996

Here is part of what he had to say about the project:
Problems with the install were few, but it took A LOT more time than I thought to do the body work after the window was in. To remove the rotten old vinyl and trim took about 4 hours, 1/2 hour to install the new window and about 25 more hours of body work to fill about 30 .250" diameter holes (used for holding the 5A trim in place). Half of these holes are in the roof, so if you're planning on doing this swap, plan on removing the headliner to properly fill/weld these holes.

unquote

This is from : http://www.dippy.org/photo/nonstock/index.html

Justwondering

Reaction score
Appreciate that.
Everything comes off real easy. Take the headliner out and its just nuts on top (for the trim).
Trim across the back and down this sides is narrower. Use a putty knife-- pry the length and back again and each piece will pop off.

Good luck. Would you post pictures as you go so we can see how this project goes?

Back