Driveshaft dimensions

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking for some driveshaft measurements for my 88 AHB.I got this car intially with no drivetrain in it so it’s been a puzzle from day one. Anyways got a 318/904 in it and it still has the 8 1/4 rear.I had a spare trans yoke to put in the in the output to take a rough measurement.I came up with 51 1/4 inches front center of the trans yoke u joint to center of the rear yoke.I was thinking of having one made up at my local driveline shop,just wanted to double check anyone else’s measurements. The shop also said those years of 8 1/4’s used two different u joints?

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you insert the trans yoke all the way and then pull it out about an inch, then measure like you did, it should be good.
Just be sure the car is sitting on it's suspension when taking the measurement. If the rear is hanging, the shaft will end up too long.
To figure which series u-joint you need, measure the yoke width and cap diameter.
Here's a link to Denny's Driveshafts on how to measure for length and find which series u-joint you have.
U-Joint series identification

Last edited:

88_AHB

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, took a few measurements and having one made up now!

Back