Electric Fuel Pump and mechanical

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I have been researching electric fuel pumps and found a nice plastic housing one 5-9 psi 30 gph which should fit nicely behind the rear axle at the bottom of the tank. Plumbing it should be simple since I have all new lines. To put it simply the fuel system is all new except the filler tube, I rebuilt the carb. I kept the line to the carb and the hidden rigid section in the front frame rail, which I sprayed carb cleaner trough to clean them.

In my research I see the mechanical pump left in place, some saying to regulate pressure. I don't see it regulating so much, but those saying it regulates say you need a regulator if you delete it. Does anyone have first hand experience with keeping the mechanical in place with an electric? I know one of the drawbacks pointed out is a failed diaphragm would result in gas in the oil.

I was also thinking of setting up a multiple relay circuit to pump only when the key goes from off to on, then kill the pump when key at start and keep the pump de-energized on key return to on. Or setup a short timer when key goes from off to on. The point is to just top off the carb bowl before starting. Thoughts?

To allow remote start, I also thought about adding a pull solenoid on a sliding linkage to the throttle to set the choke and squirt the starting fuel charge.

Duke5A

Reaction score
It was an option for at least late model fleet vehicles to have an electric assist pump to combat vapor lock. I wouldn't use both though. Just get a Mr. Gasket pump or something with a regulator and use that. Fuel pump needs to be wired through a relay and be energized with a circuit that sees power at key-on and crank.

Shop around and read reviews too. Lots of these aftermarket electrics are noisy as hell.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with a standard electric fuel pump installation. Don't forget you want to kill the pump in the event of an accident. A popular solution for electric conversion is an oil pressure switch. A common factory electric pump fail safe is an inertia switch.

I have first hand experience in the noisy pumps. I replaced a failed in tank pump in a 93 Grand Cherokee with an external. Granted it was a higher pressure FI application, but noisy as hell as you say. On that vehicle, it just added to the harmony of glass pack and big mud tires, a real rolling symphony.

BTW, I love your animated sig graphic.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If all you want from the relays is to run the pump before starting to prime the carb why not setup the electric pump with a push button just to prime and call it done.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I could just use a push button. But I have a remote starter I want to install on it. If I use a latching relay which delatches on starter signal, then the remote starter could be added. I would first have to automate choke set and start fuel charge for remote start to work. Trying to design a solution which if it fails, does not leave me dead in the water. I should be able to fall back on how it works now.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I could just use a push button. But I have a remote starter I want to install on it. If I use a latching relay which delatches on starter signal, then the remote starter could be added. I would first have to automate choke set and start fuel charge for remote start to work. Trying to design a solution which if it fails, does not leave me dead in the water. I should be able to fall back on how it works now.

At this point you should just fuel inject it. Holley Sniper kits make it pretty damn easy.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Holley Sniper is not in the budget right now. This car was a barn find, stored for 23 years. I put in new fuel, return, vapor lines, gas tank and sending unit, gas cap, pump, filter, and I fully cleaned and rebuilt the carb. I considered FI at that point but the time/money wasn't in the budget. If I pull that trigger, being the DIY type, I would do something like a megasquirt and a 2bbl throttle body injection. A multipoint injection would not be out of the question though if I would have to change the intake manifold.

Back