Electric window motor

dipin87

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My sons car which is an 87 Diplomat has power windows and the drivers side window will not go up unless you actually grab the window pull up on it at the same time you push the button. Now when you go to put it down you just barely touch the switch and the window will drop all the way down. And if you shut the door to hard with the window up the window will drop down all by itself. Any ideas from anyone on how to go about fixing this problem????????????????? We've checked auto parts stores for a motor and you can still get that but my son says there a regulator inthere and nobody can get that part. If either of these is the problem does anyone happen to have extra parts????????????

Thanks Ken

dipin87

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on Rockauto. Just got done looking it up
and it looks like they have both the regulator and motor.

dipin87

Reaction score
Well RockAuto says they only have the motor so back to square one.
Will keep searching

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Inside the big plastic gear there are 3 plastic round dowels that connect to a triagle shaped thing-a-ma-jig, they act like a clutch. Inspect this component, replace the nylon dowels. They are maybe 1/2" in diameter and 5/8" long. I replace the factory plastic ones with a brass tube. IDK the dimensions.............

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My sons car which is an 87 Diplomat has power windows and the drivers side window will not go up unless you actually grab the window pull up on it at the same time you push the button. Now when you go to put it down you just barely touch the switch and the window will drop all the way down. And if you shut the door to hard with the window up the window will drop down all by itself. Any ideas from anyone on how to go about fixing this problem????????????????? We've checked auto parts stores for a motor and you can still get that but my son says there a regulator inthere and nobody can get that part. If either of these is the problem does anyone happen to have extra parts????????????

Thanks Ken

Ken, did you fix this?

BHA43

Reaction score
I have one, motor & regulator, drivers front $35 plus shipping. I am headed to Detroit on 80 later this month & could meet you on the way.

Dago Red

Reaction score
Inside the big plastic gear there are 3 plastic round dowels that connect to a triagle shaped thing-a-ma-jig, they act like a clutch. Inspect this component, replace the nylon dowels. They are maybe 1/2" in diameter and 5/8" long. I replace the factory plastic ones with a brass tube. IDK the dimensions.............

WOO-HOO! Never say never on old posts. This exactly what my drivers side Imperial window does (actually doesn't do) I'll try this.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
HomeDepot sells the exact size, 1/2" by 1/2" round nylon solid bushings in the hardware section.
No need to remove the whole regulator assembly.
Dont touch the rivets, just remove the motor assembly.
As always, use plenty of lube on the gears, rollers and track slides...

Last edited:

Dago Red

Reaction score
The Next Interchange

Did 2 door F-bodys come with electric windows? If not can a M or J unit be substituted? A guy with a racing Aspen want to be able to lower his passenger side window on hot days, but being strapped in makes it tough
Gary's Aspen.jpg

Gary's Aspen.jpg

Back