Equilibrium in the Universe

Justwondering

Reaction score
Started the day really jacked up.

Yesterday was a good day for projects getting some love and attention.
Husbands's health is improving.
Got my taxes done.
Made my to-do list for today!

Got the 2000 Silverado 2500 loaded with the dead tires and trash, chainsaw to go to the shop, myself and headed out.
Parked under the shade tree outside the post office.
Mailed all the items and made sure the IRS letter went certified.
Go back to the truck and it won't start.

Plenty of battery.
Just 1 click when I turn the key... starter appears to have failed.

Walked a couple of blocks to the tax office to handle the car tags and came back.
Pulled the handle to pop the hood again... the handle busted.
All my tools are sitting at home because I had a brain fart this past weekend and put everything up instead of the some of it up and the rest in the truck.
There is nothing... no pliers, no longnose, no vise grips, nothing.
Sigh.

I'm chalking this up to 'Equilibrium' since we were going to get money back.
Which means the balance in the universe would have shifted. To avoid such
a chaotic event, the truck must be the self-correcting item in my universe. lol

So, I'm in the market for a new starter and while I'm at it I'll just spend the rest of the monies and get the replacement a/c compressor and 3 accuators for the a/c..heater system so the air can flow and the blender doors work again. I limped through the end of the year last year with no a/c; but this year I plan to have a/c. and of course the new handle for the hood release.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I won't bother to tell you I managed to back into a tree trunk and smushed the bumper on the passenger side this past weekend. I need a bumper as well, but that's going to come from a junkyard. Wait for a sale, I'm guessing.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Some days...........................:cool:
Those darn electric HVAC actuators. When you take one apart after replacing it, it's amazing they work as long as they do. Bunch of tiny, thin plastic gears with an itty-bitty electric motor and (on some vehicles) a position sensor all crammed into that little plastic case. Some aren't so bad to change taking less than 15 mintues. Others,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8 hours, 10 hours.....................

Oh yeah,,,,,I've had days very similar to what you describe. It's like just one thing after another until you just have to laugh to stay sane!

slant6billy

Reaction score
There B dayz like this! is so true. Played hookie from work today to give Gator a hand down at the mopar swamp
IMG_0348.JPG

Threw my back out and banged my shin with a sledge hammer, but still better than a day of spreadsheets and over-educated infantile asshat millennials. More Swamp photos:
IMG_20170319_174003.jpg

IMG_20170319_174027.jpg
IMG_20170319_175342.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Tried tapping the starter but it was a no go.

Started towing it home and the tow rope broke.
That's when I started laughing.

But, had brought the long chain just in case. So swapped out the rope with the chain and was home in no time.

Had the starter out in about 30 minutes. Truck is much taller than the fifth avenue so I didn't have to put it on jack stands.

Going to try cleaning it up and checking the internals on the starter tomorrow. Maybe try my hand at replacing brushes. Then reinstall it and see if it works.

I figure it can't hurt to try. I can always order a replacement when I get the a/c compressor.

Will let you know. Just remember to enjoy the fact your ride starts tomorrow morning while I'm cleaning grime from the truck starter. lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm sure you would have seen it already and this may not be a problem outside of salt country but,,,,,seems like 3 out of 4 starter failures we see at work is the short braided cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor itself corrodes off.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Was going to see if I could refurb the starter .
EEEEEENNNNNTTTTTT..No go.

Seems there was a crack in the plastic housing under the attach point for the short braided cable between the solenoid and the starter.

Ordered today:
New Starter
New A/C Compressor kit (includes drier, orings, gaskets, orifice, and compressor)
New Heater / Thermostat / Surge tank hose (old one has cracks in it).
New A/C belt tensioner
New Hood Release Handle

Now the wait begins...

Back to Darth-Car's antenna repair -- finally. (Brian -- don't laugh)

Justwondering

Reaction score
Everything is ordered and shipping on its way to me.
Looks like next Tuesday arrival - just in time for rain on wednesday... lol

Justwondering

Reaction score
AJ -
It just comes in waves. Sometimes the waves are high, sometimes just a ripple.
I always wake up looking at the green side of the grass, its all good.

Here is some good stuff:
Started the lawnmowers a couple of weeks ago:
IMG_6866.jpg

Spring flowers came and went:
IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

Helped the guy down the road when his livestock got out:
IMG_6764.jpg

Trapped and shot a feral hog:
IMG_6883.jpg

Teaching myself how to knit this year ... my first baby outfit:
IMG_6880.jpg

And today it looks like we get some rain. Been in a severe drought for about a year now, so the liquid sunshine is welcome.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This happened just the other day.
20170325_175358r.jpg

First, I hadn’t been able to drive my wagon (look at white arrow) for a couple of days. I ran over something in the road, with my kids in the car (about 30 miles from home, in middle of nowhere). I thought I had knocked a frame rail off of the car – it was that hard of a hit.

No abnormal noises, no leaks and car was still running OK, so I kept on going.

I will say that this car has always been loud, exhaust wise – mainly an exhaust drown noise.

About a mile from home (same trip), It started a clunking noise - then about ¼ mile from home, the muffler started to drag on the ground. It’s not yet in my budget to fix – but will be soon. A fairly new looking muffler, as well.
20170325_175358b.jpg

I go out next day and then see a flat tire – just after dropping the kids off at school – so in a short time frame I go from having 2 cars running – down to 0 cars running.

The tire has a small screw in it – which I can fix . . . but my flat fix tool kit grew legs and walked off.
Getting another flat fix kit is also out of my budget – so spare tire will have hold me off for a couple more days.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ouch...
So glad you got home with kids in good shape.

I got my starter last night.
Everything I read said is was tough to get out (lots of wiggling and shifting) and even worse to get back in.
Hmmmm.
Took me about 40 minutes to get out.
Took me about 8 minutes to put in.

At that point, as I lay under the truck looking up at the starting (beautiful day outside after lots of storms this week), I wonder if getting it back in so quickly means I mucked up something or
means this is okay and I should just get up and try the starter.

Or maybe I should just take a short nap under the truck... its quiet, cool, light breeze, and no one, no dogs, no phone ... completely out of touch with the world....
at least til my husband came by and kicked my shoes and asked if everything was okay..

Dang... it was a good thought.

I changed out the hood latch release and replaced the cracked radiator hose.
Truck started up ... of course all the idiot lights lit up and my ODBII reader couldn't connect to the truck.
But about 2 hours later, I started it again and no idiot lights. Yea!

Going to the shop on Friday to have everything I did reviewed by the mechanic and get him to put it on a rack and tell me why the underside of the engine, bell housing, pan and all wiring is covered in motor oil. lol I think he is finally going to get some of my money.

BudW, anything I can do to help?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
No.
Something about refusing to allow IRS hold onto my money interest free, meanwhile I was writing them a check . . .

Justwondering

Reaction score
Good News
Truck looked fine. So all my efforts seem to be correct.
Hood release latch, starter, and radiator hose.

He thinks the leak is the oil cooler block where the lines go into the side of the engine.

He's been such a help on backstopping me on my repairs, I've asked him to do the gasket change out. He gets an easier job (1 bolt, 1 gasket), and I can focus my efforts on replacing the a/c compressor and tension pulley.

Does look like I'll need to put a new bed on the truck. Apparently, someone in a yellow vehicle side swiped the truck on the passenger rear. Bleh.. had to have happened last week.

Back