Exhaust !!

singin sam

Reaction score
Does anybody have any kind of DUAL exhaust for /6.I have a 1980 Volare wagon.I just want duals out the back(but not loud) I have a Hemi truck for that.Nobody local is smart enough to do it !.

Camtron

Reaction score
I had a custom system made up, but quite a few people have got the A body duel exhaust kit from Summit Racing to fit on their FMJ bodies. Just takes a little cutting and welding to get it to fit as needed.

singin sam

Reaction score
I had a custom system made up, but quite a few people have got the A body duel exhaust kit from Summit Racing to fit on their FMJ bodies. Just takes a little cutting and welding to get it to fit as needed.
I'm 85 and it is a /6.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That wagon looks amazing.

I don't know if the manifold on a /6 has two exits or not; if not, you'll need a dual exhaust header. Your biggest problem is going to be pipe routing around the fuel tank. There just isn't enough room along the driver's side between the tank and leaf spring unless you move the tank one strap over, and this itself causes other headaches. You've got two easy options for the pipes: dump them in the wheel wells in front of the rear tires, or take both out the passenger to the bumper. I would use 2.25" pipe.

Camtron

Reaction score
If there’s not a shop near you that can do it and you keep pointing out your age insinuating you’re too old to do it yourself, sounds like you’re up a creek without a paddle.

singin sam

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That wagon looks amazing.

I don't know if the manifold on a /6 has two exits or not; if not, you'll need a dual exhaust header. Your biggest problem is going to be pipe routing around the fuel tank. There just isn't enough room along the driver's side between the tank and leaf spring unless you move the tank one strap over, and this itself causes other headaches. You've got two easy options for the pipes: dump them in the wheel wells in front of the rear tires, or take both out the passenger to the bumper. I would use 2.25" pipe.
Thanks,Duke,You're the first logical answer I got.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, you will need a dual outlet header. Stock manifolds only have one outlet. You (they) can run the drivers side tailpipe up and then across to the passenger side, above the rear axle, and then both pipes out the passenger side. 2 1/4" pipe will easily fit. I have 2 1/2" on mine and the pipes JUST fit between the tank and spring shackle.
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG

Camtron

Reaction score
Yes logical...you went from, “I want duals out the back (but not loud) I have a hemi truck for that” to getting a dual outlet header and still running up against, you don’t have a shop to do the work and you’re to old to do it yourself.
Could buy an A body dual exhaust kit, have someone fab a Y off the existing manifold and run your duals using the kits pre bent sections and straight sections; just takes a little cutting and welding to get it to fit correctly; but again as you said, you don’t have a shop that can do this.
Just enjoy the car as it sits. Not like you have a shop or the ability to do the work...as you pointed out.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500 ... if I bring my 87 Fifth Avenue up to you, would you wave that magic wand you have and make the underside of it as sweet as those pictures you posted?

Sincerely envious,
JW

singin sam

Reaction score
Thanks for all the response about the dual pipes.I JUST had a look at the underside of the Volare.Didn't realize there is no room.Aspen 500 thanks for the pictures.(I really wanted to have it look like factory duals,BUT I guess that is out.)Thanks again,Ya'll.

LSM360

Reaction score
You can move the gas tank over if you really want the factory-ish look of duals. On the 4 door sedans, you just pop out the plugs in the trunk so the tank will push up real close to the bottom of car so you don't have to get longer straps or bolts for straps. Might have to do same on wagon, I'm not sure. You have to then extend the fill tube using some fuel rated hose from any auto parts store, and two hose clamps. As Duke5A wrote, then you shift tank over one rib toward driver's side. Now you have enough room to run 2.5 inch pipes, one each side. That's what I have on my '89 Diplomat. I know this pic doesn't show tank, but it's only one I have, but this is Jegs A body exhaust kit with tank shifted.
BeastDuals.JPG

Duke5A

Reaction score
Tank setups must be different between models. The top of my tank is convexed while the trunk floor is concaved creating a pocket for it. To move my tank over I had to beat the shit out of the trunk floor to make the necessary clearance. When I finally get a new tank made for the car I'll be cutting that area out and installing an access door.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Made my duel exhaust for my 88 5th ave my self from pre bends bough at the local parts store, used mufflers and spare pipe. Exits just behind the rear wheels like an 80s Malibu looks ok. Sounds great. It is smog exempt though. No cats.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Bad picture. But works well and does not gas out interior. Plenty of room behind axel gets close to the filler neck on drivers side. Had to cut some inner fender to get tips to aim correctly.

20201112_203723.jpg

20201112_203635.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
Tank setups must be different between models. The top of my tank is convexed while the trunk floor is concaved creating a pocket for it. To move my tank over I had to beat the shit out of the trunk floor to make the necessary clearance. When I finally get a new tank made for the car I'll be cutting that area out and installing an access door.
Interesting. I did my '80 Aspen A38 and my '89 AHB the same way. Popped the trunk pan plugs out which gives just a bit more room to push the tank flat against trunk, then just barely enough room to use factory straps to re-fasten tank. Then lengthened fill tube with rubber fuel rated hose and two clamps.

Back